Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Forbidden Door.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
biofrost polycounter lvl 12
Been working on this prop for a few days now(based on a concept by Jessica Dinh)One thing I know I'm getting wrong is the gold material but I am not quite sure how to get it to look right. I am also a bit undecided on the wood, im not sure if I want to go a more rough older look or smooth shiny look. Could use some crits so rip it apart!

Concept(bottom right)
gTYMk.jpg
screenshot6qx.png
screenshot7x.png
screenshot8o.png

Texture Sheets(Diffuse and Spec, figured normal was pointless to show right now)
specsample.jpg
diffusesample.jpg

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    If you`re going to make those top and bottom sticking out things work, you need to model the wall as well. otherwise it will just look wrong.
  • moondog760
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I think you are on the right track with the gold material.There are a few other things though:

-Could definitely use some edge detail. Even if your going for a newer look, a little bit of wear and tear on the edges will help to make it pop

-The wood looks like it's supposed to be painted red in your diffuse. It would look good to have some sections with paint that has been chipped off, mainly along the edges.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Have you tried making the wood a darker color of red? It's just a little bit too bright red for my liking.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    i agree with roughing up the edges of the wood, and building the wall. this would help you break the symmetry you have going on and give the prop some character. its also missing the rocks on the bottom from the concept, which im assuming the door would rest/stop against. not sure how those rings are staying up, as i cant tell whats holding them to the door. i kinda feel that the wood is a bit too glossy as well.
  • chazzur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how low poly your trying to make it but if you can spare it I would add some more geometry at the top corners of the wood to make it smoother. Also agree with Tobbo, the reds a little too bright.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the crits guy! I am thinking of leaving out the rocks from the concept because I feel if there was a wall on either side that would be holding up the door not the rocks.

I rounded up the top section a bit and darkened the wood. Up next im doing some research as to what kind of wall would be connected to it and doing some wear and tear on it.

screenshot11rm.png
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    random suggestion, try adding some more brightness in the spec map to the raised details on the metal parts. It might catch the light more, and make it pop a bit. See what happens. :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    You no make high poly? :poly134:
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't do a high poly because I lack zbrush or mudbox. Sculptris just seems to not work well with any obj I import.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    biofrost wrote: »
    I didn't do a high poly because I lack zbrush or mudbox. Sculptris just seems to not work well with any obj I import.

You could always do sub-d modelling instead, high-poly modeling skills is very handy knowledge. Sculpting you can learn later. :thumbup:
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well with the push from you guys I started on a high poly. Since high poly wood is pretty much impossible outside of sculpting(for all the small cracks and such) I just defined where each plank is.

Also started on a wall slightly based on this
    portland1439.jpg

Sorry for the shitty screen cap, not sure how to get a good render of a high poly model in maya.
    highpoly1.png
    highpoly2.png

Testing the rock bake with a quick rock overlay.
    screenshot15wc.png
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    its very obviously mirrored and I think it would do you justice to change that somehow.
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see you're using alot of thin triangles in your mesh, that's really not a good idea to do.. in engines that would be killing and could slow your game down alot.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's only sitting around 1000 tri's. I was under the impression that was low for a game Res model.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too sure I am happy with how the rocks on the wall's are turning out so I may redo them. It might be better to make it a tillable texture on the horizontal axis so in case I turn this into a mini scene I can have some variation without having to create a new texture. Also not sure how I will make the door seem less mirrored. It may have to rethink my unwrap to make it seem less obvious.
    (the wood beams on the side just have a texture thrown on so it does not show up as black)
    v45x0y.jpg