Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lost Artist Work Thread

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Lost-Artist89 polycounter lvl 10
hey there one and all of polycount

i have been a long time follower of alot of people's work on here, there is alot of very impressive inspiring stuff. so with that in mind, i finally figured it would be time to create an account and get some work down

most of it will just bit abit of a dump of some stuff i have handy however i will continue to update as i go :)

all feedback is ofcourse welcomed, and i will be more than happy to respond to any questions, i await your responses eagerly...

thanks very much,

Mark

this gas mask was created as a current theme i am running with, attempting a character that matches in with said world as i have never actually managed to create a good one yet....
custom_gas_mask02_by_lost_artist89-d4h2y4d.jpg

custom_gas_mask01_by_lost_artist89-d4h2x3o.jpg

i am highly inspired by ashley woods world war bot series, so i did a few shost as abit of a homage to his great work

bertie_render_03_by_lost_artist89-d4e13ru.jpg

bertie_gun_by_lost_artist89-d4cjy21.jpg

1950's american style inspired radio
1950__s_american_radio_by_lost_artist89-d4ccctd.jpg

1950_radio_back_by_lost_artist89-d4ciky6.jpg

this will do for now just to test the water, but more to come....

Replies

• Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah, and just as a side note this is all spare time work in and around my current industry job, no professional work...
  • DF 0024
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, the lighting of your robot really enhance is texture map!
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I hope one day you manage a character that matches the style/decoration of that gas mask, would be beautiful :x
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Wow I really like this stuff! The gas mask has to be my favourite, its so unique! All of your stuff is really polished! Breakdowns, especially the mask would be awesome! Consider the waters tested, now post some more stuff :)
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Ashley Wood and now I love your art. Easy as that. Great work all around.
    Any chance of some breakdowns on these shots or texture maps?
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, thanks very much for such a warm welcome to the forum :) highly appriciated...

i will ofcourse be more than happy to present some breakdowns, i probably will later tonight but for now i have a few more images to post

guitar was a 2 day project, modelled high, baked to low and textured

__world_tour___strat_01_by_lost_artist89-d45wjb1.jpg

__world_tour___strat_02_by_lost_artist89-d45wiu0.jpg

i am aware there are a few texture problems on the chair, this is due to somethin screwy going on with the bake which i did not realise at the time of this render, however it has been recently fixed since then

victorian_chair_by_lost_artist89-d46w58z.jpg

more to come shortly...
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    again this stuff is just amazing! I really love your textures! I am glad you have inculded Blink and Offspring logos on your guitar!

One small crit I have so its not like I am just gushing over your work is that maybe next time add a couple more polys to the bottom of the guitar? It could do with looking just a tiny bit more round? Having said that it is a minor nitpick it looks awesome!
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    I love the decorative elements around the edge of the gas mask. Did you alpha those in in zbrush? I am working on some gothic cathedral pieces with similar details and have tried several different techniques, so I was wondering what your workflow was for those.
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gas mask is absolutely stunning
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    DAT CHAIR

6564846886765735.jpg

I really like the gas mask but the blue emissive in the lens puts me off a bit.
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys thanks for the replies so far

SaferDan - i couldnt agree more and your not the first person to suggest more polys around the base :) deffinitly keep it in mind for next time thanks very much

cdevens - hey there, yeah i made one or two versions, and i unwrapped the mid-level 'take it into zbrush' version so i could paint some black and white maps onto where i wanted details, and then used various bruses to push the detail through. other than than i made alot of custom alphas from painted images, and when all else failed i ran a few maps through ndo to create the normals :)

BlvdNights - is that a good "DAT CHAIR" or a bad one i cant tell, that picture is giving me mixed signals :D also the blues in the eyes make more sense when its actually in my plotted environment, everythings very orange so it really draws attention to the character...
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    My favorite piece is the vintage radio - though there are several technical mistakes in it, such as small UV stretching and texel density discrepancies.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    your design style is boss! i love that gas mask and the gun's sweet too, looking forward to seeing more from you
  • clockchrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    though that SF-tic flavor of "explosive head" may not fit with Retro-futureristic atmosphere of the grip and the shark,
    I love that gun!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Technically, that radio is the biggest contrast in quality compared to the other assets!

Other than that, this is some of the best prop art I've seen lately.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice the mask , how you did all those little carvings in floreal style over it?
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I don't think I have ever, and I mean ever seen rust done that well before... Any chance of seeing some flats for the mask? Purty please?
    Edit: Thank you so much for naming your files too, makes right click save as so much easier.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    wow..the colors in your textures work so well with each other.. moarr plzz !
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks very much chaps for the kind words thus far, really appricaite it. as requested by a few people here is the flat diffuse for the mask, not going to bother uploading the spec and such
    because theres not really anyone can get from it...

Gas_Mask__dif.jpg
    Gas_Mask__normals.jpg

also a few more from Bertie (ashley woods design's from world war robot) as it seems a few of you guys took interest in it...

robotrock1.jpg

i was origionally going to turn it into a 30 second short as a homage, however i ran out of time and interest in this project. one day i might pick it back up again, im currently on purchasing a monster pc so maybe when i get that i can pick this back up and render it out in no time

BERTIE_FINAL_00.jpg

thanks very much everyone, will post up some NEW work soon....
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your textures are awesome man!! as well as everything else hehe
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also as a bit of a general reply to some of the other comments regarding some of the work, i agree the radio has alot of issues however in my defence ( and i am not making excuses i dont believe in them really you are judged on what you produce visually) this was a really fast project, the entire radio was done in the back of a car on abit of a road trip while i had a few days DRT between projects :) i think apart from texturing and baking most of the radio could be summed up in about... 11 hours? give or take - however i agree with everything said so far and i would like to pick this up and finish it off properly when it comes to putting my reel together, fix the seams and so on...

the floral bits on the mask, like most of it, was painted in photoshop then projected/used as a mask in zbrush - or depending - ran through xnormal/ndo and tweaked. seemed liek the easiest solution. alot of people underestimate the power of normal map generaters and believe that everything has to be zbrushed, which yeah its more accurate in 3D space but in terms of time and control, if you can get either the same or a better result using them in a fraction of the time.... why not :)

also thanks very saf3hands appriciate it
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That last Bertie shot... So good looking. Please start working on that again :]
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i think i will its been a nice break, and hes all rigged and such. just gotta add a few bits like a knife and some bags, few other bits and bobs and some environmental stuff and should be ready to go :)
  • ObbieSkinner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey! Do you think you would be so kind as to post the textures for your bertie bot? I'm a student that is trying to build a robot right now, and It would be very helpful for me to see it! Thanks!
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure ObbieSkinner i will post some tonight, they are not textured like a game though i made them pretty high res and gave each section its own texture element because i wanted to retain the high quality like in film for as long as possible....
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is most of the textures as asked, im not going to upload the normals or spec because there isnt any, luckily enough i could actually get away with a colour correcting node on the diffuse to use as a bump and spec..... ive crammed them all into one picture to upload

robot_all.jpg
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys and gals, been working on this as of late

WIP i did over the christmas period, based loosley upon an old ampro projector. fits into my current little IP im thinking up, its a very highly science based ornate underground world (alright... bit steampunk) where everything is powered by artificially created miniature suns.....

created in maya/zbrush..... lots of zbrush

still very very much a work in progress, i just wanted to get some ideas down

reel arms are still yet to be made properly

there is still some floral based designs and such to be put into the stove/oven area

any and all advice and inspiration is welcome, its a bit of a tricky one this i really should have done some concepting first rather than just trying to get it out my head

steampunk_ampro_projector_wip_by_lost_artist89-d4lb2l3.jpg

steampunk_ampro_projector_wip02_by_lost_artist89-d4le3jm.jpg
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    few hours sculpt, one or two bits to tidy up but otherwise reletivly happy with the main pattern :)

again, crit and inspiration is highly encouraged

396907_10151131592535531_862050530_22398810_1108524610_n.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Incredible high poly!!
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    aw man . been a long time fan of gas masks gonna have to say thats the coolest gasmask ive ever seen haha i love your work
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    damn- those floral highpoly chunks are pretty ace
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, thanks very much! highly appriciate the kind words :)

i have a small update, i sculpted the front part now to match in with the style, a few small tweaks to fix like the width of the lines and the resolution of the rivots....

398081_10151134730900531_862050530_22415095_433694832_n.jpg

any feedback? im really looking for some inspiration and ideas to improve this, anything will be greatly helpful im struggling to nail down some sort of design for the reel arms....
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice work man. I like that while most of your images are somewhat simplistic in nature you really go all the way with lighting and present even a single asset as a full piece of art. Well done! Love the first image of the robot :) So kick ass.

If you're looking for ideas to use on the reel arms... I think following the sculpted stem + flower theme from the rest of the box would fit very nicely. Maybe a few pieces cut out of the center to give the impression of intertwining stems. (Similiar to the technique on the back of this Victorian chair.)
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey there, thanks very much for the ref, i have been looking at soo many ornate furnitures and stylings but i either cant make my mind up or i am not sure how to actually attach it to the main body :) rivots, welded, not sure yet...

as for the renders, i have a photoshop template i just throw my renders out into and it saves me alot of work in the long run, especially for just tests

thanks again for your input though genuenly appriciate the help
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys and gals of polycount... ive missed you dearly

been a good couple of months since i have posted anything here, so i have finally got some stuff i can slowly trickle back into my work thread from time to time...

first of all, finally finished the steampunk ampro projector and the environment it sits in is coming along well

all crit ofcourse very welcome and encouraged

thanks very much

Mark

__steampunk___ampro_projector_final01_by_lost_artist89-d4wdi3b.jpg
    __steampunk___ampro_projector_final02_by_lost_artist89-d4wdk2g.jpg
    __steampunk___ampro_projector_turn_around_by_lost_artist89-d4wdktl.jpg
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    your art is so good! i love your detail and style and everything
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy wrote: »
    your art is so good! i love your detail and style and everything

well thankyou very much! kind words indeed :) appreciated!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    the copper might need just a little specular work? not sure, to be honest. other than that, oh-so-very nice stuff.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    That projector looks awesome! It's crazy how much detail you get out of your textures without distortion etc Truly inspirational :)

I don't suppose you have any wires you would like to share?
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @barnesy - cheers! i dont at the moment however im sure i could create some if you want. check back in later and il see what i can upload :)

@cptSwing - ah you caught me out, i really wanted to get this rounded up asap so i could move on, i havent actually created a "unique" specular map to show this model off i just cheated and copied the diffuse into the slot, i will eventually though now you have pointed out the copper looks abit odd :) its going into unreal, and after a quick look it seems a quick colour correct of the diffuse and some level alterations may do the job....

thanks very much chaps!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    looking stellar either way ;-)
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful work. I love all of the organic details you throw on everything. Very Nice!
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Hi Mark, Martin and I feel that its too back heavy and would fall back. Its also covered in detail so its hard to see the form. "can't see the forest for the trees"

One way to get around this....maybe...... when or if you turn it into a showreel piece you could make it all arty farty like Alex Roman's work. Just a thought :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSGx4bBU9Qc"]The Third & The Seventh by Alex Roman HD - YouTube[/ame]
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    didnt you know arty-farty was my middle name neil :) school was tough!

appriciate the feedback chaps as always, well spotted and noted down

cheers!
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    that projector is sick, keep up the good work!
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • danielguti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danielguti polycounter lvl 9
    wow great stuff especially the gasmask!

http://artofguti.blogspot.com/
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your texture work is inspiring and the sculpting of all the high poly stuff is too :) so much so that im about to go do some zbrushing and its like nearly 2am and i have uni in 4hrs haha. thanks for the inspirational stuff and keep em coming man!!! :)
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Ohhhhhh silhouette refinement for you lens could be intresting :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5nB9u4jjy4&feature=player_embedded"]CryENGINE 3 SDK 3.4.0 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]