Home Technical Talk

Seamless UV mapping for crazy compound shapes?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
Trying to UV this object right now so it'll simply tile a map across itself seamlessly. I've tried hand-projecting it, I've tried peel, pelt, spline, wrap, stitching pieces together... Not getting anything usable. Any suggestions or help would be hugely appreciated.

crazyshape.jpg

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'm guessing there aren't any polys on the back or bottom? And you've probably tried a few different relax settings? If you haven't tried it, split it in half and unwrap each side by itself. I would do a quick planar map and then relax it so the sides pop out. I would think it would relax a lot better like that. Then connect the two sides at the middle.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I'm guessing there aren't any polys on the back or bottom? And you've probably tried a few different relax settings? If you haven't tried it, split it in half and unwrap each side by itself. I would do a quick planar map and then relax it so the sides pop out. I would think it would relax a lot better like that. Then connect the two sides at the middle.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

EDIT: Found a different solution blending between two map channels with vertex colors. Think I like that result better, lets me do unique details as well.