Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Military Character

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys,

I am working on a character set which will in the end create 5 different characters with just 2 texture sets. The idea is to create a modular character set with interchangeable equipment, and secondary armour. I've just about finished the base shared mesh, and going to create the gear that goes over top next.

So I'm not sure why, but mudbox apparently is giving me some weird artifacts for when saving out the viewport at 2x or 4x the size. So if some one knows how I can fix that, please let me know because that will help to create better renders.

You guys will notice that some of the very fine details are a bit blurry, that is because my computer cannot handle anymore sub divisions, which is just fine because the end texture size wont capture that detail in a super crisp way, so it kind of works out in the end.

Soldier_HighRes_WIP_02.jpg
Soldier_HighRes_WIP_03.jpg

Replies

• pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MUdbox gives you weird results at more than regular screen sizes because of the AO screen filter (apparently it takes a sample for each screen space so and they show up as noticeable tiles.

try use the cavity Ao and another Cavity AO set to be more like regular AO. and dont use the regualr AO at all.

its workaround i use to overcome this annoying bug :)

Or are you meaning the artifacts on the vest? which look more like the meshes are intersecting?

Nice model too. was it all done in mudbox?
    Im interested because i use mudbox instead of zbrush and how many polys have you got it subd to?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    This is really awesome! Id love to know how you did the boots
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help pinkbox. I was actually referring to both the mesh intersecting when it should not be, and the AO issues. I'll try out the cavity AO only thing next time, but any ideas on why the mesh intersects?

This was made in both max and mudbox. I dont like using mudbox alone as I find it to be very difficult to get a perfect shape of a particular object that has hard straight uniform edges in mudbox alone. So things like straps, holster belts and little pieces were all made in max. The base mesh was also made in max, and just sculpted in mudbox. The shoe is just one mesh single base mesh that started out as a box extruded a few times. Once the shoe was ready, I took it to max, and used splines to create the laces.

Cheers
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a small update. I'm working on all the small modular elements, I've so far just about finished the armour stuff, all that remains is a couple of pockets that go on the vest/belt, and some head gear.

Soldier_HighRes_WIP_04.jpg
    Soldier_HighRes_WIP_05.jpg
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the pocket on his left leg could do with some work.. wrinkles and sag or if its full hinting of the object inside
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the body, the fact feels a bit flat though
  • ObbieSkinner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GIVE ME YOUR POWERS WAQAS!