Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Digital Media Student Showreel!!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jaydon polycounter lvl 6
Hey all! Just thought i would post the showreel i have been working on in class.
I did a diploma of Digital Media, which introduced me to 3D. Throughout my time in the course we have only spent a few real months on it and i keep learning more.

Take note i have picked up so much as i went along and things like the tris on my Camaro i now know to avoid. The teaching here wasn't as brilliant as it could be, more like a 'choose your own ending' book and i really need to continue to improve.
If it is horrible, please shoot me down in a nice way!

thanks heaps guys.:poly122:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vtly2NHMUQ"]Showreel 2011 Jaydon Hill - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely have some strong points, like your motion graphics. I would argue against having a loud soundtrack with your reel. I've heard some art directors will automatically flag a reel if they don't like the music, or if it is too distracting. If you must must really really must have some music make it a low key ambient sound.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Overall, skip the black background. I makes your work disappear.
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys

Our teachers wanted music in there, and suggested to keep it in because of the visualizer at the start. i definitely will make it quieter though.

and the black as in behind the model rotations?
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    Your turnarounds go really fast slow them down and do not put a black model on the black background. I also agree with people about the music just make the music more subtle. I do really like the motion graphic stuff as well
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, Nice Camaro!
    Overall, the guys are right, kill the music and change the background.
    What I find problematic is that I don't know what you specialize in. Not that there is anything wrong with being a generalist but it would be easier to hone your skills to industry standard if you focus on 1 thing at a time...

As for the presentation slow down the rotations and do only 1 360 rotation. Never do multiple or repeat same thing over and over again. You can do a second pass of the same model showing off the most detailed areas. Also I would just cut the animation out of your reel completely; unless that is what you want to focus on (animation/vfx), in which case you really need to work really hard on them...

Remember, presentation is the key. Come up with some creative designs for backgrounds and shots. Good luck!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That music is terrible, get that outta there.

If you are going to have music..id suggest something without words at least.

Your presentation is pretty rough, like others have said...remove the black background and slow down your camera work.

Your work is really varied, what kind of job are you looking to get? I really like the logo/motion graphic stuff, but if you are trying to get an environment artist job or something...that stuff is useless on your reel.
    The teaching here wasn't as brilliant as it could be, more like a 'choose your own ending' book and i really need to continue to improve.
    Trust me, thats how it is all across the board. Teachers won't hold your hand..you have to put in the sweat yourself. Posting here and looking for improvement is proof that you are doing that tho, so thats good.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At first I thought you went to the same school as me because my major is called Digital Media. Surprisingly every school kind of has a different name for it.

Cool video though!