Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cactus McGraw

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, recently finished this piece. He was originally posted in the Study Group thread but thats died down so I thought I would make a separate thread to get some feedback.
Mcgrawbeauty.jpg
mcgrawbreakdown.jpg
mcgrawbreakdown1.jpg
mcgrawbreakdown2.jpg

And the turntable if interested: http://vimeo.com/32115375

Concept was done by the amazing Ryan Hall: http://frogbillgo.deviantart.com/#/d1q6sde

Any and all crits appreciated! Have at it boys!

Replies

• Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I really like it man. I think you got the proportions pretty well from the concept.

Only minor thing is that the gun belt and cartridges don't look very shiny at all. I'd guess darkening the diffuse might help since your spec is already pretty bright there.
  • Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be cool to see more of those sharp highlights from the concept in there. Also the flowers around his neck are a little plain. You could add more color. The torso in the concept is alot larger than yours. It could add presence to your character to play around with that. I think you did a pretty good job. I just think you could add a little more.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahaha yess

Guy could do with a fair bit more material definition, and the transparency feels a bit wasteful, seeing as it's only being used to make some quads look like tris, from what I can see. Maybe just drop it and use tris for the spikes?

edit: Also the rips on the shoulder, but I think they could be geo too, should always avoid alphas if possible, they're inefficient
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron: Thanks dude, you make a good point of darkening the diffuse, that may help.

Pickle: I totally know what you mean! The sharp edges are kinda what drew me to the concept in the first place. Adding a little color to the lei should be a simple fix and thanks!

Neo: Oh yess material definition I was kinda iffy about because I didn't want the texture to look too noisy but obviously now its too subtle. As for the alphas I understand where you're coming from and I totally think I would have saved more tris if I actually modeled the cactus spikes. Right now each alpha for the spikes is 8 tris but if I just modeled them they would be 6 tris, not the biggest difference but they do add up i guess. Thanks!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Hey bud. I think the concept looks a lot more dark and brooding than your current pose.

Do you have a gloss map we could take a peak at?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll see what I can do about the pose.

Nope, no gloss map on this guy though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to make one, actually it would probably help :)