Home General Discussion

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
Got linked to this game earlier, and it doesn't look too bad actually. I can see what people mean when they compare it to a mix of fable and oblivion/skyrim, it definitely feels like it's how I wanted fable to be.

So.. if Skryim hasn't eaten up your desire for RPGs then this is worth checking out. Don't think it comes out till february.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik6AbHKTvr4"]Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oopKqCvczek"]Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning E3 Game play Part 1/3 - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It felt more like a mix of the Souls franchise and Fable to me
    So many good games i cant wait to get my hands on this one it screams much promise i want it now :(
    I have yet to study it but i hope it has what im looking for

When i seen it in GI i thought "OMG why couldn't Demons souls put out like this! now wheres the multiplayer?!?!?"
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like a current gen version of Sudeki mixed with Fable and a dash of Morrowind.

The animations in the 1st video looks super slow. God of War combat is real snappy. If a game like this is sluggish at all it really hurts the combat and the game overall. They've probably sped that up a good amount since e3 though.

Last nitpick the UI looks very rigid. I'm sure it makes sense in the game. Just watching a video of the UI/item menus doesn't look that intuitive. Sure when you've got 50000 item combinations that happens. Just wish it could be more fluid.

Those nitpicks aside it looks like there is some potential. The art looks good in those videos. It'll be interesting to see how this is when it ships in a few months.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    This looks... friggin' amazing. I'll be honest, didn't know what to think of 38 studios, but it looks like they really got their stuff together.

Hats off to Vcortis and everyone else on the environment art, it's pretty killer.

Wish there was a higher res. The combat effects are some of the best i've ever seen.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Skyrim will have sex-mods in which you can bum-rush an Argonian and Dragon.

Does this game have that? Didn't think so!

Jokes aside, it look cool, but I'm not a fan of button-mashing games, my poor fingers cannot take it anymore with all of these button-mashing games, and this one looks like it's committing the sin cardinal of them all.

Button mash in mid-combat, during a slow-motion, to charge up an attack which will deal the damage I need to deal to my enemy.

Do we have anymore info for the combat? If not, I'll be reserved about it, if yes, I can't find it.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Been looking at this one for a while now, cannot wait!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting more and more pumped for this game, but man... you can soooo tell this was an MMO turned single player game... or is it just me?

Looks pretty though :)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting more and more pumped for this game, but man... you can soooo tell this was an MMO turned single player game... or is it just me?

Looks pretty though :)

It was never an MMO... so I'm going to say it's just you.

This is made by Big Huge Games, who was bought by 38. The project was already well underway at that point and has always been a console RPG
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Some big names involved with this one, I hope their magic system comes close to the on in Two Worlds II.

And just to get the facts straight :)
    38 Studios, owned by former Red Sox Pitcher, Curt Schilling, originally began developing the Amalur universe for use in an MMO, codenamed 'Copernicus'. After acquiring Big Huge Games in 2009, the studio decided to transform the project into a single-player RPG, as Ken Rolston and his team had already been working on an RPG while Big Huge Games was part of THQ.Currently, there are still plans to expand the Amalur universe into an MMO after the release of Reckoning.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wellll than, my bad :P

edit: Aren't they making an MMO as well though, I thought it was sharing the same world as this game.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    This game is FUN AS HELL. That's about all I can say! Big Huge Games did an incredible job.

except Ace-angel.. it's not a button masher. You can play it like one if you want your ass whooped.

Also, we just released a video specifically on combat (and there's already tons of videos out about it), watch it here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEEaBSi6vpw"]A Hero's Guide to Amalur: Skill at Arms - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ^
    OOOOH! Stealth. OK, I'm sold.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Demo just popped up on Steam, been looking forward to this for a while. I can only play through The Witcher 2 soo many times. :P
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    Has anyone played the PC demo yet? just wondering as I'm sat in work and can't d/l it yet XD
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I played the xbox version yesterday. It was pretty cool but the interface sure was detailed with lots of sub windows etc. Could have been streamlined a bit more I think. I dreaded going into the inventory screen :)

Also it locked my xbox up. :(((
    Will have to try it out again today. Graphics were nice and it seemed cool enough. Just didn't get a change to play more than 5-10 min. Will probably buy it though since I thought the combat was awesome.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    DanConroy wrote: »
    Has anyone played the PC demo yet? just wondering as I'm sat in work and can't d/l it yet XD

Yes the PC demo is live. I'm currently downloading it.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Kudos guys! looks fun!!

:D
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome! I just wish it wasn't SP only. It looks like some COOP or MP combat would do well in this game.

Downloading the demo now!

EDIT: $60 for a digital release of a new IP? What in the flying fuck?
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    played through the demo on steam, I really enjoyed it! Reminds me of fable 1 a little bit. I agree with PatrickL about the coop stuff would be awesome
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Demo was pretty good, combat is fluent, runs and looks great, the camera and mouse controls could do with a bit of work, overall though good enough, that i may pre-order.

The reason there's no MP/Coop is because i believe there making a MMO out of the IP.

Btw anyone trying the demo and getting a black screen it's a ATI bug and you need to disable post-processing the get the game to run.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played the demo last night (had to stop it short, needed to sleep :P ) but man I'm really enjoying it, and the art style is awesome! Combat feels great as well, very fluent, very fast, verrrry easy to combo.

This will be a day 1 purchase for me, can't wait to dig deep into this one!
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Loved it. Played the demo last night on my xbox and it was pretty good. There were some audio bugs but I am definitely getting this. The question is should I get it for the xbox or the PC? The framerate on the xbox seemed to go up and down often, from 60 FPS to 30 FPS. So I'm not sure.

Either way, it seems like a great game. BTW. The whole thing about this IP is that they are working on an MMO about this IP and they wanted fans to be introduced earlier to all the lore and all so they did a SP game on this IP to get all the fans early before the MMO comes out.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i played the demo, and the game looks like a free to play mmo for me. I would have liked to see a combat system more like in "soul reaver" or "darksiders". We can't jump, and all the world is a world of corridors, i hate that.

Graphics are not bad in general, but not great, quite obsolete for my taste. it's a passable game and too expensive for what it offers. I will buy the game with a better price a few months later.

With ATI cards the game does not work unless if you turn off the post process. Too lame to see this happening with a demo.

Too much hype with this game :S
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I like it. Got some friends working over there. They are did a really good job. It feels fresh and its a lot of fun! plus i like the art style and how colorful the game is.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPpUGnUVnuU"]Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Exclusive Art Design Trailer [HD] - YouTube[/ame]
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Can't say I'll be buying this one. After playing the demo for awhile, it's just too generic to hold my attention. It has it's merits, but they seem far and few between to justify the $60 price tag.

The developers seem really cool though, and their call for criticism leaves me wanting to do an in-depth review of the game. If I get the time, I'll probably bomb their forums with a wall of text so they can ignore it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Great game Big Huge, I'm glad THQ was unable to kill you guys!
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played the demo till the very end yesterday, excited for the full deal. really excited to see lots more equips in the full game. nice job folks!

edit: played on pc with an xbox controller, tried keyboard and mouse... didn't feel as good as controller to me.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    just tried the demo. pretty nice looking game, some nice cinematic lighting, especialy in that 1st cinematic with the gnomes. the controls felt pretty floaty/loose but i dont see that being a major hinderance, the story and word seem neat.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Played through the demo twice on PC (Once on my godly PC, once on my laptop.. looked pretty nice in both cases) and enjoyed it a lot. Played on PS3 and the framerate was really choppy and weird. Not a deal-breaker though.

But it doesn't really matter, I knew I would want to play this game, I'm a sucker for this genre, so I already preordered it for the 360 months ago.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Blaizer wrote: »
    We can't jump, and all the world is a world of corridors, i hate that.

It's true you can't jump, but the game is definitely not a world of corridors, at all. Did you get out of the tutorial dungeon?
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I played the demo on both PS3 and PC. The other fix for ATI/AMD card problems is to turn on AA in the control panel. It's super weird, probably and ATI/AMD driver problem. Anywho, this is a total gamepad game. I like the combat, it makes me think of Kingdom Hearts mixed with God of War. The art style is nice, I have great respect for how they do their textures. However, I actually agree with JasonLavoie in that I feel like a lot of these assets are a little more simple than they need to be so they could fit in the MMO. Makes sense to me, why not reuse what you can?

Definitely picking this up at some point though, I expect this will be a really fun game!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    bounchfx wrote: »
    It's true you can't jump, but the game is definitely not a world of corridors, at all. Did you get out of the tutorial dungeon?

Yep, i finished all the demo and i played the extended 45 min. The "open world" has the same feel of games like dragon age with corridors, or overlord as example, at least in my opinion, and you only see paths between walls of rocks between the different zones, very mmo style. It's very far from Darksiders with those huge maps.

For me, the controls are fine when changed in PC, but it's a pity that thing of "no jump". That's a total fail for its gameplay imho. I would liked to see air combos, like the classic jump and strike.

Anyways, as i already said, it's not a bad game.

Another thing that i missed is the co-op. That feature should be a must have for any game nowadays.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the pc demo. It was fun for what it was and all but it really strikes me as something that isn't going to stay at that price point for very long. If I hadn't read about no jumping on here I wouldn't have noticed at all. The combat itself was pretty satisfying though I hope the time it takes to switch between blocking and attacking will improve as you level up. I always find getting hit because you have to wait for an animation to finish really annoying.

And, is it just me or did all the (human)male characters share the same head model?
  • UnrealAnimation3D
    Its good but wouldnt pay 40-60$ for it. id give it a 5 out of 10.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Tried the demo, seemed pretty alright. To be honest I was surprised how much the game felt like the combination of others. This studio had such a big push to revolutionize storytelling and create a unique type of RPG experience. It feels like they weren't able to get anything revolutionary working and just threw in a few things they saw that worked in other games. In the end it just feels a bit dated in a duke nukem forever kinda way. Like the long dev time just exhausted the team rather than giving them time to create something unique.

I did like the combat system, it is big and flashy in a way you don't always see in a game with a talent tree, but the talent trees also felt pretty generic and uninspired. There's only a few skills to build and the idea of creating various builds doesnt really feel that exciting. The classes also more or less play the same with range options, stuns, aoe attacks, etc. Pick a ranged weapon, pick a melee weapon regardless of class and just mash your buttons, no truely deep rpg strategy involved.

Some killer environments, art, and animation though. It's just the game design that seems lacking after all this time.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    However, I actually agree with JasonLavoie in that I feel like a lot of these assets are a little more simple than they need to be so they could fit in the MMO. Makes sense to me, why not reuse what you can?

I'm pretty sure they're not sharing assets in that sense. It might have been a choice to create a more cohesive look between the two titles, but they're not sharing resources quite like that. I've a lot of friends working on both titles, and as far as I know any assets that go between the two end up being reworked to fit the title/specs.

There seems to be a lot of confusion with their strategy of two games in the same IP. They could probably have handled the marketing better and make it clear that this isn't a gimped version of the mmo, or that the mmo isn't this game + multiplayer.

I know there's a bunch of the artists on the board, and they could explain it better, but I imagine they're not supposed to talk about it :poly121:
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, thanks for trying the game out! While I work at 38 Studios in Providence, the entire team here is extremely proud of what BHG has been able to accomplish with KOA:R.

While I don't know all of the details, I've been told the build the demo was taken from is fairly old and all of the bugs/glitches are resolved in the final build. In addition to that the team down at BHG is eager to hear your feedback so they can get to work improving it to better suit you, our customers! Please feel free to post here to ensure you're heard (despite popular belief we actually do pay attention to this stuff...)http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?2485-Your-feedback!-(particularly-camera)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Video about the Art Design

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1vvoszcSPQ"]Inside Reckoning: Art Design - YouTube[/ame]
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just going to post that along with this concept art link :)
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Just started playing it yesterday. I am loving it. Is there any polycounters that work on Reckoning? Congrats. Loving the artstyle, so vibrant, so alive.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I've been playing this game and really enjoying it, chakrams are bad ass :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played the demo on xbox the other day, was quite fun. Kinda felt like a mixture of Fable and Elder Scrolls. I'll be picking it up at some point :)