Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dannedadons WIP Thread - Come in wont you?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
Hi!
Figured I might as well start a WIP thread instead of a lot of single threads that will only last a little while. While I'm looking for a new job I'm pretty much just going to try to improve my stuff so this is the place for it. Started with this marine and I'm now working on a female that would be a semi-important character in a game.

Sculpting:
leia2.jpg
First pass with texturing in toolbag:
leia1.jpg

A few things I'm not happy with, mainly the mouth and the ears.
Going to add hair and eyelashes with alphacards. And some small props like necklace and glasses.

C&C welcome throughout the thread =)

Replies

• theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Hey, looks pretty good, I actually think the mouth looks fine. As for the ears, the only issue is that they are a bit thing. Also the nostrils seem to be too far from the face, if that makes sense. Keep it up :)
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks =) I fixed up some stuff but I didnt really like the end result so I think I'm going to drop this and move on, was supposed to be a miniproject, just a couple of days, ended up being like 4 when I tried to fix some hair with some alpha cards. Did not turn out great so I'm going to practice some more hair after the project I just started.
    End result:

danial_rashidi_leia.jpg

so this is what I'm working on now, its a guy from some random tribe in Africa who was taken along with his tribe and used for experiments. Just started doodeling yesterday during the MLG Providence finals and I kinda wanted to keep going. Not fleshes out all the areas of the infection yet, so it can all change a lot. thanks =)

infected01.jpg
    infected02.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    wow your really good!
    I do think the lines seem a bit too criss-crossed on the infected face, I think the creases would look better leading along the muscle, the chin is a good example of what I mean.
    But bar that... wow XD
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man =) Makes sense that the lines should follow some muscles. Im going to rework some parts. Thanks for the feedback :)
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    So I threw down a my base texture, and I blocked in the ball things. Dont really know what colors I want the infected parts to be. Either lighter or darker and some nice colors on the balls.

infected03.jpg

And thanks to this super sweet workflow its no problem going back and fixing the lines on the face without messing with the texture.

Things on the to do list:
    1. Rework some of the lines
    2. Fix missing texture spots
    3. Take care or the low poly head
    4. Add more details to the normalmap on the normal side of his face
    5. Do the texturing
    6. Done!
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it in marmoset now and made a little progress, took care of points 1-4. But I might add some more stuff to make it more interesting. But I think the face paint is going to be enough to raise the detail level. We'll see tomorrow =)
    infected04.jpg
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    so that was last night. and now: BAM!
    think im done unless someone says something bad about it :(
    danial_rashidi_infected1.jpg
    danial_rashidi_infected2.jpg
    danial_rashidi_infected3.jpg
    danial_rashidi_infected4.jpg
    danial_rashidi_infected5.jpg
    danial_rashidi_infected6.jpg
  • Delerium
    The left eye is really white, try to put some subtle shading in the diffuse where it meets the eyelids and also make it look inflamed maybe?
    Pink_eye.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    2 very good points, will adress it tomorrow, thanks guys =)
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    started working on the stuff you suggested. Computer crashed while doing it and reduced my 200 mb photoshop file to a single black layer. That was fun. So I lost all the source stuff. Did have the saved out TGA's so I modified them a bit but loss was a big set back. Anyway, accidentally replaced the images with the new stuff.
  • helldiver
    gorgeous work!

I like your idea of a single thread consolidating your WIPs. Think I might do the same eventually.
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Looks badass man! Sorry to hear about losing your work, awful when that happens.
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys =)
    Helldiver - yeah its pretty sweet + its fun to see progress. Cant take credit for the idea though, saw some other guy doing it before. Chris Nirenburg, and he had a bunch of sweet stuff in the thread, it was really fun to just watch several different characters evolve at the same time there. http://www.nizza3d.com/

So anyway, I'm planning on starting a new piece. All I know is that I want to do a woman (and also maybe create one in 3D) (haha). I have my inspiration folder cycling on my desktop and I saw these 4 pop up recently. So do you have any preference? I'm leaning towards the mass effect chick. But any one of these would be fun to do.

ref1.jpg

EDIT: Removed all the large concept images except for the one I am using
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    started on a new miniproject, should only take 3-4 days to complete. Just doing an FPS version of this character so just arms and a weapon. Nothing special yet, just the arm sketch and basic weapon in maya. I really needed to start practicing some anatomy so thats the main reason for doing this.
    thor01.jpg

Also decided on doing Tali from Mass Effect after this one =)
  • jbh3d
    Offline / Send Message
    jbh3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Dan,

You have some really good work. I started looking at the Space Marine and now I'm looking here. You have a handle on skin, and its something I'm currently trying to figure out, could you share your process for making the skin look realistic? Right now, my (character's) skin ends up inhuman looking or plastic.

Looking forward to your Tali model for sure.
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    hi Jushra. Thanks for the comments. Email me over a picture of what your stuff looks like and I can give you some pointers. I use a lot of photosourcing when I want realistic stuff. Got a membership at 3d.sk recently so I could download references that fit the type of character I want to do. And since I have 2 monitors I ALWAYS have a reference pictures up on the second screen. my email: danial.rashidi [a] gmail.com

Started on my new character while I'm doing the thor guy on the side. Heres the base for tali, she has a little different anatomy than humans (wider hips, narrower waist, thinner neck, thinner upper arms) She's going to be all covered up with armor and gear but I'd love to hear what you think if theres something I should change.
    Here are the updates:
    thor02.jpg
    tali01.jpg
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    small wip update:
    tali02.jpg
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    update. And also thinking about going a little off-concept and adding a cape. Any thoughts? Leaning towards 3 or 4. Or might just add it on a separate texture and just have it for some random shot.
    tali05.jpg
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    Baked everything down, its currrently sitting on 9294 Tri's. Pretty satisfied with the bakes except for the cape which I apperently had hard edges on when baking so its faceted. But except for that it turned out pretty well, starting the texturing now.
    tali06.jpg
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    Back! I've been travelling a little and started doing some freelance work so I haven't had a chance to update Tali but I finally have some free time so I'm going to back to her. Here is an update of the texturing without the omni tool. I still have a lot of stuff to do on the texturing, a lot of detail is missing the diffuse and I don't have a specc yet either. Still, moving forward. C&C appreciated :)
    tali07.jpg
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, calling this done. But if you see something you don't like, let me know :)
    Also think I'm going to redo the omni tool sword pose to something else, dont know what yet though.

danial_rashidi_tali_1.jpg
    danial_rashidi_tali_2.jpg
    danial_rashidi_tali_3.jpg
    danial_rashidi_tali_4.jpg
    danial_rashidi_tali_5.jpg
    danial_rashidi_tali_6.jpg

and here is a turntable:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eosQwvGeuQ4"]Tali Turntable - YouTube[/ame]
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    nice job! that turntable is a joy to watch
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    nice stuff here man, keep it up
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    nice job ! i also noticed one thing : the green arc on her butt, it did have a small distortion ^^;
  • Doubles
    Amazing realism you do with those heads. All the low frequency forms are great. If you would do a full body anatomy study, and pay the same amount of attention to the forms, it would be great. You look like you have the skills to do it, you just have to invest the time.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    beautiful work all around
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, appreciate it :) I'll sneak a peek at her butt for those lines ;)
  • zxcman
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    nice progress man!
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Model is great, but the pose needs some small tweaking, as she's not sitting but floating.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    amazing! love all the poses too. Did you rig in maya? and how did you make the sword/ communicator thing on her hand
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy News before I start talking about other stuff:
    Got a job at Starbreeze Studios :D:D The studio behind The Darkness, the Riddick games and Syndicate that is being released this month. Working on an unannounced game project with the Swedish movie director Josef Fares :)

Thanks Thanks, yeah I rigged it in Maya. It was just a super simple rig that allowed me to pose her. The omni-tool was made out of some basic primitives and tweaked, then I applied a diffuse with an alpha. The edges of the omni tool have a different color in the diffuse and a different alpha-value in the alpha map. And then used the diffuse texture as emissive texture as well.

A pretty bad explanation, here are the textures to explain a little better:

Diffuse:
    omnitool_D.jpg

Alpha:
    omnitool_A.jpg

And I started a new personal project. Sketched out the face today:
    mike01.jpg
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Congratulations on your new job man!

The way you did the omni-tool was pretty clever:)
  • Doubles
    Congrats! Great head you did!
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    Started a new project yesterday, incorporated the head sculpt I did a couple posts ago and updated it a little. Sculpting up the rough pieces. Found a concept online by Luke Belderes of a nice sci fi guy.
    170_max.jpg

Here is my rough sketching sam01.jpg