Home General Discussion

firefox vs ? for portfolio viewing

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
i just recently did a quick update on my portfolio ( i want to re-haul it sometime down the road ) but for now i just added new images of a project i just complete

and it looks terrible (colour wise) in firefox, and i dont recall noticing this before. i have firefox 8.0 running right now and love it vs. say explorer... but i opened my portfolio in both, and explorer has the more accurate colour going on

i also noticed windows photo viewer messes up the colours, and i now use quicktime pictureviewer instead

so i was wondering if anyone has came across this before? or does anyone know of or have a favorite browser they use when it comes down to art?

i have windows 7 64bit if maybe that has a contributing factor to this problem

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Since I calibrated my monitors with a colorimeter, Windows photo viewer doesn't display my colour profile properly, which forced me to use XnView to view images.

Perhaps you've got something similar going on?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    From personal experience, just stay the fuck away from those monitor calibrators. What a scam, those things never worked.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never used a colourimeter, i have dual screens both the same monitor, they display slightly different results but nothing as harsh as firefox and explorer are doing right now
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside from layout differences, FF8 and IE8 look identical to me (colour-wise).

Opera11 appears to display the images slightly darker, but it's not a noticeable difference unless you're looking for it.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Helder, I swear by mine. Makes all the difference and makes both my monitors look identical.

I know some of the cheaper ones are a bit shit. Maybe you've had bad luck with them, but I wouldn't swap mine for anything.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firefox has colour profiles built in since a few versions, although I forget if they now enable it by default or not. Google it, and tell us if disabling (or enabling?) fixed it.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks MightyPea, i check on a different computer and it look proper (running an old version of firefox) so i installed an older version on my comp and still had the bad results. then i saw your post about colour management, mine was defaulted at disabled - switched it and now it looks way better : )

its slightly more faded now then IE, before it was way darker. but definitely a massive improvement - thanks everyone : )