Home General Discussion

Hosting Sites Blocked At Work?

artstream
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
artstream polycounter lvl 11
Hey PC,

Posting to ask about what sites (other than the NSFW sites of course) are blocked at work. It seems like for the most part, it's just dropbox is blocked (due to file sharing). Any others?

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Err.. Wouldn't that all depend on WHERE you work?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    that's nothing. i worked at a place once where they had a whitelist of only a handful of sites accessible, another studio went a little further and blocked all net access. awful, all that time wasted... working. :)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    thomasp wrote: »
    that's nothing. i worked at a place once where they had a whitelist of only a handful of sites accessible

yeah same where i work
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Err.. Wouldn't that all depend on WHERE you work?

Yea, sorry, I was a bit vague. Mostly curious about game devs/hiring managers: if you can't even view someone's work, then it makes it that much harder to hire them.

@ Ravenslayer, yikes! what kind of sites are those (email, news, and maybe weather?)
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    thomasp wrote: »
    that's nothing. i worked at a place once where they had a whitelist of only a handful of sites accessible, another studio went a little further and blocked all net access. awful, all that time wasted... working. :)

I worked at a company that had a monitoring software that recorded keystrokes, took screen shots every 10 secs, tracked how long you had something open, what sites you were on etc and had HR go through all of that for certain employees he thought might be screwing around. The owner was paranoid and didn't trust anybody least of all the software team and made life a living hell.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Goddamn Mad thats crazy! Glad Im generally a good boy during work... I don't even believe in facebook during lunchtimes while at work, it'll still be there when I get home...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I worked in a couple of studios where for regular artists all net access is blocked. Does wonders to your productivity! (assuming they have a good texture, reference and alpha library)

Managers usually have access though. Talk about class hierarchy hehehe

The Mad Artist: crazy shit. Blocking is tolerable, but monitoring like that sucks. Wouldn't work for a place like this.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Wow... a lot of trust. I don't understand, why hire someone for however much, trust in their abilities/them to produce great work for you - but don't trust them to not be a slacker?
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah crazy shit indeed. Talk radio was forbidden too, not any political stuff mind you, but espn radio in the headphones.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Now-a-days its easy to bypass that stuff but I wouldn't go that far if where you work is enforcing it that much in the first place.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Wow... I don't waste a lot of time on the net while working but jesus if I couldn't find an answer to a problem I was having quickly because I had to track someone else down at work and bug them or just ask a friend over IM.

Hell just today I was looking for a new method on how to do something and a quick google search returned the result where in the office it might take other people time and shit to explain or show me and that is 2 peoples time not being used productively.

I had this arguement at a prior job when we were discussing things on a managerial level. It got quite annoying trying to explain that the net isn't just a resource for nonsense.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    main reason we block the net is.... because my company is in China ;)

People here have very little regard and/or knowledge about IP law. It's just so common place that people take stuff from the net, so the easiest way to avoid trouble for our clients is to block the net (yeah, I see the irony of adding another firewall on top of the "Great Firewall"). That ensures nobody takes references or textures from Google & Co and uses them in their art. Or avoiding that stuff leaks out of the company. Clients like EA, Activision, etc. won't be happy with us if that happens.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Wesley wrote: »
    Wow... a lot of trust. I don't understand, why hire someone for however much, trust in their abilities/them to produce great work for you - but don't trust them to not be a slacker?

Their property, their rules.

You can however; buy a decent laptop and get 3G network for full internet access that is not monitored by the company.

Than again, that may cost you $700.00++ in the addition of $50.00 per month for wireless internet. =\
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's generally pretty good here, with just the occassional website blocked. Dropbox is the big one, which annoys me somewhat because everytime someone posts something cool to download in this or that forum, it's usualyl dropbox'd.

I'd go mad wthout the net access. Need it for documentation, but also because code compiles, lighting builds and version control synchs can sometimes take quite some time.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    our net at work is blocked totally with the exception of break times.