Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Resume Critique - Jessica Dinh

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys! In a few months I will be applying for internships so I thought it might be a good idea to get my resume in shape. My main concern is whittling it down to only the necessary information - is there anything in here that seems superfluous to you guys? I would like to hear your opinions on this, and anything else. Thank you in advance!

V1jfE.jpg

My portfolio is here, for anyone who is curious. It will be undergoing many changes in the next few months, mostly additions and edits, but critique on it now would be more than welcome as well. Let me know if there seems to be any pieces not up to par.

http://jessicadinh.blogspot.com/

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks pretty good. The portfolio is great too. You might want to dump the more realistic stuff at the bottom. I'm not sure it's needed at all. You definitely are going for hand painted work. So it seems silly to keep that stuff up.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    I personally think you should have a variety of work in your portfolio, so I would probably go against what jeffro said about removing it as it shows skills that are not in your hand painted work. Also if you are going for an environment position make sure you show your ability to get a full scene together with lighting and composition etc.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would also agree with Razorb, keep the realistic work. I would maybe change that small "watermark" you have on your textures from the web address of your blog, to also include your e-mail.

Your Resume looks short, sweet, and to the point. Its 1 page which is a good thing. Means you know how to cut the fat. Other then that I'm a bit jealous of your hand painted work. ;P
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good to me.

If you were to trim anything, you could get rid of the 'about'/objective section. Some people leave that out and some don't.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Initially, I thought you would probably be best fit for a studio working on a hand-painted stylized game- Then after seeing the more realistic props, It became clear you`ed probably be a pretty good fit at any studio. When getting your foot in the door, its all about being in the right place at the right time. If you don't have a varied skill set, then the chances of you falling into a chance opportunity will be greatly diminished. Honestly I`d like to see more realistic props in your portfolio.

Your resume` seems pretty on point :)
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The assets/props in your portfolio look great, if you can match the same quality in your environments too, you should go far. Your r
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am currently working on a full environment, which should be done before I send my applications around.

For my 'About' section, I will cut it down to: "I am pursuing a career in game development as a 3D environment or prop artist". I'll cut the rest out, or move it to the cover letter where it can make it more specific to the studio.

As far as style goes, I must say I enjoy realistic as much as I do stylized! After doing lots of cutesy hand-painted, I get this itch to work on something high-poly and dirty, and vice versa xD So my pattern of portfolio growth will probably go something like this: stylized, realistic, stylized, realistic.

More critique and comments welcome as I continue to work :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    If that's the case then keep varying up the work. I kinda end up doing the same thing (though I end up gravitating to hand painted stuff more).

You could argue to be diverse or to specialize. Really it comes down to what makes you happy. I guess I assumed it was hand painted work. But if you're not sure or you just like both. Then screw that and do both.
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love your work Jessica! Best of luck with your internship application. That portfolio is awesome enough to get you a real job imo :)
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica, if big companies are your goal to work for, it seems that companies are outsourcing their props more and more. Might want to cut out Prop Artist, and just market yourself as Environment.

Up to you though.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    You might consider including a URL for the webpage of your Unchained project. It's a minor detail, but if you'd like potential employers to check it out, having a link/url there will plant the idea and save them the 5 seconds it takes to Google it.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Goat Justice, 'tis done :)

Here's the game's website in case anyone wants to see.

I made the trees and barrels in the video
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hells yes, handpainted stuff looks great! Portfolio looks really good! The resume is nice and well done. I would've wanted to see one environment in there, handpainted would be awesome. Doesn't have to be a big one though!

Really nice work! I wish you all the best in your job-search! oh and make sure to get some contacts via LinkedIn!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you chrisradsby! I will have my first environment done soon - hand-painted hehe.

Yeah, about LinkedIn, I need to get more connected on that site, I neglect my profile haha . . . browsing Pcount takes up all my time! Gah!

Oh, I have a question - what is everyone's opinion on linking a personal sketch blog to the portfolio site? Is that considered unprofessional or not? I just put all my doodles and whatnot on that sketch blog, none of which is portfolio quality or anything.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I have been trying to not look at you portfolio, since you are so good that I get demotivated myself, damn you -.-

But I finally took a look you have a awsome portfolio, after that I visited your blog.
    At first I was thinking that it might not be that smart, until I saw that you where just as good with 2D as 3D.

And then it's not a problem it's great with someone who knows 3D and 2D very well, many who link to their 2D blog has just some crappy anatomy studies and some doodles that should never see the light of day.

This post got a bit messy, hope you understood what I meant :P
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I understand, much thanks for your insight! So basically it should be alright, as long as the quality stays high all around, and there aren't things on the blog that 'should never see the light of day' xD. It is a 'careful' sketchbook then haha (personally I think I shall go back and take some things out now :P)
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work all around. If I can critique I would say when I first went to the 'blog' tab I just saw one anatomy drawing and thought that was it. until I read that you have to click it again to get to the blog. I think I would make the blog Navigation link directly to here http://joshiemoo.blogspot.com/ Great work though really digging your hand painted textures and your 2D work is great too.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hmmm, that is actually a big problem lol, I might actually just remove that page then. No clue how to make blogger pages go to external links haha.

EDIT: Ok, I took me an hour to figure out, but now I have my Blog page linking directly to my blog url. Thanks for pointing out the problem makecg :)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Great stuff all around, Jessica. No critique but a suggestion if you're going for an environment artist position; Create a scene and place your assets in it. People will want to see how good you are at creating 3d game environments. Your 2d concept art shows great potential in this.
    Good luck!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I wouldn't remove the stuff at the bottom at all. It's beautifully done and just as impressive as your hand painted stuff. It's shows that you can swing both ways ;)
    On that note, not sure if you're interested in this or not. But those realistic models would look awesome in The Dark Mod.http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

If you're not doing anything with them and would be willing to contribute them I would help you get them in game and it would just be a little more game engine knowledge for you (Radiant engine : Doom3, Rage, etc...)

Or if you want to contribute to work with a mod team and practice that stuff more I can say for certain the team would love to have more stuff like that in game.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Goraaz, I will have a scene done soon :)

Baddcog - sending you a PM!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I look forward to posting some kind of sarcastic remark in your "BOO I can't get a job!" thread :shifty:
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh, don't jinx it please!! xD
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed!:poly136:
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Fixed!:poly136:

nice lol

jess: stuff looks great, goodluck !
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    I dont think you´re going to have any trouble getting an internship somewhere. Your portfolio has variety, your resume is straightforward and I can see that your personal style is probably going to make your applications stand out compared to the rest.

The only thing I might want to add is to get to know people who work in the business. Socialize and get to know the people you start working with. I guess you already understand it, but being known by people in the industry is always a plus.

I´m going off to my own internship period in a month, I wish you goodluck in your search!
    And I really, REALLY love your hand painted textures!
  • Kjohnston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your cover letter is more important than a Resume. The cover letter is what will convince the screeners to even look at your resume. Eliminate the about section and instead tie it into a well written cover letter that explains why they should choose you over every other applicant in addition ensure the cover letter directs the reader to the location of your portfolio for them to view. Your Resume is than just a confirmation of your qualifications for the position.

In addition eliminate the word "yearn". Use words you would actually say in everyday speech. Unless you consistantly are using the word "yearn" eliminate it and use more common speak. Utilizing words in a resume or letter that you would not normally use does not make you look intelligent but instead foolish which is not the impression you want to make to a potential employer.

Best of Luck!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's better Mark, ahaha xD

CandyStripes05 - thanks!

Cheese_Shinobi - Yep, gonna get on the LinkedIn haha, thanks for the reminder. Good luck in your search too, when the time comes :)

Kjohnston - Thank you for the critique. I have removed the lengthy About from my resume (and the word 'yearn' xD). Thanks for the pointer about the everyday speech thing, I will keep it in mind haha. As far as cover letter, I have yet to write it, and have not even really researched how to write one correctly yet. But I will do! Glad that you pointed out it is more important than the resume, I did not know that.
  • MiragentGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiragentGames polycounter lvl 5
    If it were me I'd include software packages you are proficient in. DO NOT just start listing programs you've dabbled to lengthen your list. Only if you have had extended exposure to the program or atleast use it for a specific function. I say this because I have a pretty lengthy list of programs that I am efficient in.
  • ZFerguson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great resume and portfolio Jessica! I like that your resume is short and sweet. Your handpainted stuff is really inspiring, I'm currently working on a game where everything we do is handpainted, and I've learned a lot in your wells thread. Keep up the good work and good luck!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, thanks MiragentGames, I do have my software listed. I know the list is pretty short for now, but soon I plan to learn the ropes in ZBrush, so that will be one more thing :)

Thanks ZFerguson! I'm glad my wells thread has helped you out!

mheyman - When I make my textures, I really do try my best to give them all the light, form, and color that I can. I study textures of artists that I admire, and textures in real life as well. To be honest, I am having a hard time seeing the difference between my blog work and portfolio work, but I really would like to understand what you mean.

Would it be possible for you to send me any example textures that you think particularly shine, or even do a paint-over of my own stuff to illustrate your critique? I guess there's something I'm just not seeing haha. If you haven't the time, I understand, and will then just continue to study in the best ways I can. Always looking to improve my work, thank you mheyman!