Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

University work (character/guns/environment)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
Hey all, first thread here. Just wanted to start a general thread for my university work.

Currently i have 4 weeks left to finish creating a character, 2 weapons and an environment. I thought this would be a good place to get feedback as 3D modeling is still pretty new to me (i wanted to do concept art) and i might need some help.

First is the character

Concept
4S5q0.jpg

WIP model
Nkxu0.jpg

WIP high-poly of the gun
GsUd2.jpg

WIP environment. I'm going for a 15th century graveyard, focusing on the church. textures are all just tests at the moment, been trying to set up vertex painting and parallax mapping. environment is 25k tri's for individual models but they can be instanced as many times after that.
4qYpV.jpg

0BpKY.jpg

As a side note, ive seen people saying to share textures between assets/props. How do i do that :O any tutorial links would be appreciated.
cheers!

Replies

• desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I have re-done the door way to make the building have a nicer profile and more detail, i also plan on sticking some slats on the door and a door kocker. Texture is just slapped on at the moment.

Would anyone be able to tell me how i would get a tiling texture on something like the roof etc, because right now the texture quality is quite low since im stuck with a max 1024 size.

5Jje2.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Well, your stone walls are tiling, right? So wouldn't it be the same process for the roof?
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, your stone walls are tiling, right? So wouldn't it be the same process for the roof?

The stone wall are just flat square planes instanced over and over and since the texture is also square it tiles. But with the door section, its one model, unwrapped together on 1024 texture, so i don't know how i would tile something when its done this way. Is it just impossible?
  • AngryMindtricks
    you could always texture it using zbrush or mudbox... to get around that obvious seam when something doesn't tile... that's how i would get around it if i were to come across this situation.
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    I sculpted shirt and face up and did a test bake. Hopefully it'l look better when i add hair to the model.
    Updated the environment as well, but need to sync my hdd before i can take any screen caps.

2YnKY.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i had a massive fail yesterday. basically i went over my tri budget by about 15k. I was a bit of an idiot and thought when a 7k tri mesh sub'd it would be 14k. but that's poly's haha. so basicly started from scratch which wasn't too nice, but i salvaged a few things and made the mesh into a whole object instead of hundreds of little ones which was stupid in the first place...

anyway, test bake. I might add more details from the original concept, but its supposed to evolve as we model according to my teacher so yah..

dDt9e.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck skyrim, this is much more fun!

used mesh paint on the walls to mix old/new restored brick.
    18inj.jpg

Added a new terrain and some boxes for far offf houses. gives it a cute "nightmare before crhistmas" feel i think. and also the confirmation that the graveyard is pretty far away from anything, which ads something spooky.
    68wYj.jpg

uberquick crate (will probably remove/ retexture) and a slap on texture for caretakers shed thing.
    SgGpN.jpg

made a stone wall to encircle the scene. slap on texture at the moment. Will make more rock props to break up the tiling/flatness.
    PNiwL.jpg

I also made a cross shape grave and lots of other things probably..
    now destroy it.
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    Colour blockout done. looks like a cartoon at the moment :/ will help when i start texturing i think.

ZTp3V.jpg

baked the gun aswell and started to block out the texture.

j7uOV.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP updates. Bought marmoset toolbag so i don't have to import to udk every 2 seconds.

for some reason it doesnt keep the alpha on the hair when i render :s
    yNOqt.jpg

4pAIS.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    Very badly rigged my model. Is it just me or does biped not simulate the twisting of the ulna and radius in the forearm? and i think my bones were rotated wrongly when i started skinng... i dont know. arg.

TNFPL.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset throws too many problems. It's supposed to be a beauty shot anyway (not real-time) so i did some testing in 3ds max.
    TAdwD.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to show my character/weapon finals. ill upload next time.

Here's where i am with environment, decided to add some culty stuff to spice it up, ill probably go to town with some nice deco and themed stuff like a hand sticking out a grave or something... whatever looks cool.

OVfxm.jpg
    gLpg6.jpg
    jYkIX.jpg
    Zbrxe.jpg