Home Technical Talk

Seriously Maya? Is Add Divisions that hard?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
wtfug.jpgwtftk.jpg

Frustration. Why is this happening? I selected all faces except the two side ones. It has worked before. It seems to work best when the object is long and skinny. I don't even...

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Don't see why this wouldn't work, are you sure you don't have some junk history on the mesh or something? I can't reproduce it.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Which version of Maya are you running and is the latest service pack / hot fix installed?
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't see why this wouldn't work, are you sure you don't have some junk history on the mesh or something? I can't reproduce it.

Nope, no junk history. It's a freshly created cube primitive.
    Which version of Maya are you running and is the latest service pack / hot fix installed?

2012 Hotfix 4. It's such a simple thing to do, I don't see why X amount of releases and four hotfixes later Autodesk is still having a hard time getting basic commands working right. I miss Max :(
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    that is a weird one...
    another option would be the insert edge loops tool
    just change your settings to "multiple edge loops" and however many edge loops you want and that should do it.

No reason for that tool not to work, but there's an alternative at least
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to say, edge loop works fine.

Forgive my noobieness but whats the difference between the 2?

Edge loops and divisions?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Stradigos: I'm running the exact same version and can't replicate the issue :/
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stradigos: I'm running the exact same version and can't replicate the issue :/

Thanks for testing. I'm just chalking it up to Maya's personality on a day to day basis. My coworker and I don't seriously believe Maya is sentient... but there's some day's it just seems to troll us harder than others. Oh Maya :D I bet you it will work tomorrow =P
    Edge loops and divisions?

Same thing, just a different way of getting there. You can control where edge loops go when you place them. Divisions basically divides the geo in half along U or V. I like using divisions to get a perfect half instead of trying to set up edge loops because I'd always be changing the edge loop options back and forth.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had issues with Maya 2011 where everytime I created a Mesh, as soon as I modified a vert or anything, the geo turned into a garbled mess. I was trying to do an art test too, so I said fuck it and used Max instead. No probs. after that :D
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I just have it set up to a toggle to change it to multiple edge loops :) yeah definitely weird.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Stradigos wrote: »
    Same thing, just a different way of getting there. You can control where edge loops go when you place them. Divisions basically divides the geo in half along U or V. I like using divisions to get a perfect half instead of trying to set up edge loops because I'd always be changing the edge loop options back and forth.

You can hold ctrl + right click, go to edge ring utilities, and select to edge ring and split, this will place the split right down the center. You can also use the multiple edges option in the add edge loop tool and it will split evenly.

I couldn't replicate your problem, but I too believe Maya can be quite tempermental.
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    because I'd always be changing the edge loop options back and forth.

You can create a custom hotkey you know based on what ever procedure you want.The advantage is that this line of code won't change your tool prefs anymore.

All you have to do is setup edge loop prefs to your liking then execute on an object and just record the line of code from the script editor (turn on echo all commands). Takes like 20 seconds to do but will make life easier - obviously doing this across a lot more tools will cumulatively save hours in Maya.

m4dcows suggestion is also good, polySplitRing:

polySplitRing -ch on -splitType 2 -div 3 -weight 0.5 -smoothingAngle 30 -fixQuads 0 ;
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm.. It tried it out myself and it works properly for me. I asked around and I was told that the "add divisions tool" only works on four sided faces.

They might look like four sided but they might just not be and because of that maya goes nuts.

Maybe you have a lone vertice on an edge, making a face have more than 4 sides?

I'm not sure if that's the problem in your case though..
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the hotkey tip guys, I'll look into it.

MiAlx, no sir! It was a freshly created cube primitive. That's why it's such a head scratcher! :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I know why and I can replicate it. Look at your UV layout. You're choosing something that follows UV coords.