Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Green Lantern Underground Lab

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
Hello I normally post things in the WAYWO thread but I am more a lurker tbh. But there is some great stuff here and lots to learn so I thought it about time to make a thread!

I am at university and for one of my modules where you have to make a scene from a movie and I chose Green Lantern

Here is the room -

filmclips.jpg

and my progress,everything has an AO and Normal map applied although for tiling textures I have just put a white material on. Things to do include putting an actual floor in, making the roof, making the glass bubble and then just filling the room with all the medical stuff! I also really need to work on my lighting! So much to do! and I only have a month left! I plan to finish all modelling by Monday the latest. Any C+C would be amazing I looking for lighting tips if anything I need to get my head around lighting in UDK a bit better.

Anyway! Here it is

Entrance.jpg

Main_Room_One.jpg

Main_Room_Two.jpg

Veiwing_Gallery.jpg

Replies

• Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like you have captured the scene quite well so far man, the viewing gallery thing on the last image is looking quite nice.

Keep the updates coming :) Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Elith!

Quick update I have worked a bit more on lighting at the back and made some big lamps.

I need to figure out how to get a similar material for my dome like the one in the film. I thinking of using a cube map? and maybe some real-time reflections? I am not too sure to be honest, any suggestions would be awesome.

All that's left to do modelling wise is the roof and then just make dressing for the scene. and also that bed! It's going to be interesting...

Update-7.jpg

Cheers guys
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have been busy making stuff to fill the room up so it doesn't look as empty. All I have left to do is make the bed and then I can finally start texturing! I hope that my use of tiling texture and reuse of meshes means texturing wont take as long as it had done to make everything!

I am trying to get more of a contrast with the middle and out to the sides. I want the sides darker but just can't seem to get them dark enough!

Untitled.jpg
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richwderby polycounter lvl 6
    Looking awesome so far, can't wait to see it all animated & textured in your final video.

unled1ia.jpg

Do you think you will have time to do this bit? I think it will look awesome with all the emissive lights and stuff
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks man! Yeah I am actually doing that bit and the room just before the corridor! There is a shot of the first room in my first post but not the corridor! I will post that up with my next update :)
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I haven't updated in a while just because I have been a bit busy working on it.

Things I have done since the last update include animating the orange lights in the back ground so they pulsate and also animating the computer screens. Other than that I have started texturing. I have still have plenty to do including playing around with reflections and making a chrome material for the canisters. I think it is coming along though!

Crits and comments would be awesome!

Video - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWuzTLum5Es"]Update - YouTube[/ame]

update4-1.jpg

update3-4.jpg

update1-3.jpg

update2-5.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Ooh, lush!

It's coming along quite nicely :)

My only slight niggle is that the blue Emissive part of the ring has quite a jagged silhouette and could do with being a bit smoother to make it sound more round.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot - aha thanks man! Yeah I totally get what you mean, I can't believe I didn't notice it! I shall fix that, thank you! I have missed the word lush! I am from Bristol but am at derby uni atm and I never hear it here!

Updates! I have a fair amount of texturing done. The rest of the texturing should take at most threes days which leaves me just under a week for lighting and post! Which seems like a decent amount of time for that! Lighting is no where near final, some of it is me just playing around with things like the lights on the viewing gallery. Do they work?

update_2.jpg

update_1.jpg

update_3.jpg

and a link to the video!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YndRAUKUR0w"]Texture Update - YouTube[/ame]
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update, I still need to make my lighting more contrasty which I hope to do with a LUT. I still need to spread a few decals around to break it all up but I am confident I can finish in time!

Video!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VjDOEnGnAM"]Update - YouTube[/ame]
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    The pulsing light from the ring works really well.
    At the moment the lighting is really dark on the walls, you really need to push that blue out further. You also have a really bright ceiling light and tube lights that don't appear to light the environment at all. Another thing that stands out a lot to me is in the film the rings have a lot of depth to them, with multiple moving parts and different ring light colours, yours lacks that same sense of depth.
    Cool work man, keep it up!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank so much for the reply, I appreciate it :)

Yeah I am struggling with lighting atm. Like I wanted all quite contrasty with middle of the room taking the focus but maybe I went too far?

I have been messing around with a LUT table but I don't know if I just made things worse tbh!

Lut_Table.jpg
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Haha, yes that definitely looks worse ;) Its just made it more.. purple.
    Before trying to use light contrast to draw your eye to the centre, I suggest you light the scene more evenly. Try adding some fake bounce lights around to get rid of all your black areas.
    Once the scenes more evenly lit, start adding some more lighting to the centre to push that area. It shouldn't be tricky really.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha ok that's cool I think I shall go back and start lighting from scratch.

Thank you for your help!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have been messing with the lighting a bit, I think it looks better? The floor decals help a lot I think? This is due in tomorrow as a uni deadline but there is still time to fix stuffs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K9EcLJ88YE&feature=youtu.be
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Thats looking better man, if you are really pushed for time try just setting the lightmass environment colour something other than black in the world properties. Here's what I mean -
    mRmfQ.jpg

What I did:
    - Levelled the image A LOT. Brought everything up so there weren't many black areas.
    - Painted in what should be dark (around the edges of the image, trims around lights to increase contrast ect.
    - Painted in a large blue light scattering down the centre of the image.
    - Painted in lights casting from the tube lighting.
    - Added quick light halos around all the bright lights.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! I don't know what I was thinking with that other set-up! The enviro colour is actually a light purple? But I still have some time. I'm gonna play around with the tube lighting next and try to emphasise it more!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow! I missed the paintover!Thats amazing! I shall try to aim for that! Thank you so much!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I am all handed in. There is a million things I want to do to this and I will get round to doing them when it comes to put show reels together at the end of my uni year!

Thanks to Myles for the help! I ran out of time to match your paint over (and I couldn't get it looking that awesome!) but I did try :)

Ignore the name of the film it was late and I was tired and forgot to change the name!
    http://youtu.be/6d34U6_JJPI?hd=1&t=1s