Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Attic (WIP)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
Alright! so, first scene in UDK that I am actually going to try and finish (posting here will help me to stay on this project).
Anyway, I am creating a small attic. I am going to look at older attics (in the 60s, 50s) and I want to add static meshes like cloth draperies, bookshelves, a old chair, a desk in the middle with a typewriter, and pencil/paper (maybe even a quill pen.)
Stuff like that. If any of you have any suggestions, as this is my first environment, shout em out!
Would love suggestions for props, lighting, etc. Also, if you have any reference photos, I am running very low on them...

Enough speak! here is what I have so far!
attic_01.jpg

I also want to ask, should I worry about lighting now or later when I've finished all my props?

Latest Image (updated every new update post XD)
attic_21.jpg

Replies

• SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    attics are boring. your task is to now make this attic not boring. Tell a story in this attic. Your lighting is fine for now. Concentrate on populating the area and creating mood through your assets and texturing, then get back to lighting. Keep going! =]
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    Yah pretty much like SouthpawSid said populate the hell out of that place. Just wondering how many light bounces is your scene set for. I would bump it down so you 2, it would darken up your scene a little bit. Nice start keep it up!

Alex
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about not making it boring and using the scene to tell a story, but I disagree about the lighting I think you're breaking several rules of dramatic lighting.

1) You have a pretty strong light behind the camera. This hides all shadows behind the objects in areas that aren't visible to the camera, which destroys a huge part of the lighting.

2) You have a great opportunity to make this very dramatic and drive the composition. You can experiment with keeping the ambient light very low and playing up the light coming in through the window. It's your focal point, use the window and the light to drive the person to sweep their eye over the scene in a very deliberate way.

3) Use the dark areas to your advantage, instead of filling up every last corner of a very bright room use silhouettes and basic forms to give the illusion of clutter. You can even recycle other props scaling and rotating them in odd ways to further fill out the clutter. One board could become a stack, a bucket balancing on top of a mop could look totally different than the reverse in another area. Saves on work, saves on texture space, looks hot when done right. You won't know where these darker areas will be until plan out your lighting and scene a little better.

4) You have a chance to play 2-3 very different colors of light off each other. You can have natural light from outside mixed with a low level blue-purple ambient light, mixing with some soft yellow light from an old light bulb.

creepy_attic_by_toxicdots.png

1165431615_799f9e67fd.jpg
    sarah4.jpg
    DSCN2880.JPG

You might benefit from also picking a slightly more dramatic camera angle. To inspire awe and make the viewer feel tiny and helpless stick it on the floor. The higher it goes the more that relationship reverses and your scene becomes UN-aweinspiring and people "look down on your work" sometimes heh.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome guys! Working on some wood props now. The scene I put up there was just a quick blockout, and threw in some old textures I made. The final scene will have a lot of raw wood in it. The floor will be wood too.
    I guess I'll worry about lighting after I make my scene, it seems more logical now thinking about it.

Prop ideas anyone? (1950s-60s) I've got a few, but I need more....>:D
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, added wooden beams, going to make some wooden textures to put on the walls and floor. If they look bad, I'll go with a geometry approach XD

Sorry for the big light icon in the middle.
    attic_03.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update change textures...
    Time to make a crapload of props.
    attic_4.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to rethink the dimensions of those timbers, they are pretty thick, like basement support beam thick. They are holding up just the roof and walls, not the entire house. Timbers that thick would put a lot of unnecessary weight on the rest of the support structure lower in the house.

Also because they are so thick, and because of the camera angle, they are covering up large sections of the ceiling which makes it look like there are too many of them, when there are just enough, its just that they are too big and bulky.

Most of the attics look like they're using 2x6's or 2x4's, not 8x8's.

attic.jpg
    make-attic-more-1.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

-Added the desk
    -Added the typewriter
    -Thinned out the boards
    -learned a crap-load of new stuff XD

attic_6.jpg
    Probably put too much time into the typewriter. I made a highpoly, and probably spent too much time on it. Also, the typewriter is at about 3500 tris (I know, that's a lot for its size), but I wanted it detailed so I could do closeup shots.
    ao_render_typewriter.jpg
    attic_7.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, got some books and shiz in there.
    attic_8.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    add more variety of books in the book shelf? and perhaps dirty up the desk and bookshelf texture with dust and stuff
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    -Bookshelf needs more variances... its way too perfect for being in an attic. knock some books over, get like 64 different book textures or make me somewhat believe that you dont own 3 different types of enyclopedia brittanica

-You need to start figuring out lighting RIGHT NOW! Trust me, it will go very far the earlier on that you figure it out and set it up. Delete your work lighting, mess around with some light settings, try to get the bounce to look right. Try to push the darkness of the space.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed with pinkbox, maybe you could even take some of the books out and have some leaning over. Right now looks too perfect haha. Also I would try adding a second color to the desk, or a lighter/darker value, maybe where the insets are in the drawers or something. I think your pencils are too small.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome little scene, I'll watch progress.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    LOVE where this is going. You are so in the right direction with these props. Looking forward to MORE! =]

All the above crits are a good way to go, so nothing much I feel I c an say till I see more art.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely slacked off on the books on the bookshelf. So tired last night, y'know. Anyway, just re-organized the books, making them more random, and re-makng the textures.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we go, randomized it, made a texture with roughly 20ish unique book textures.
    attic_11.jpg

Next, going to mess with some lighting, probably going to ask a lot of questions because I really suck at lighting in the udk.

edit: also made the pencils a little bigger XD
    attic_12.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Oh maaaan this is looking so much better! Good work thus far.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, lighting issues already, why can't I get good global illumination? Tips?
    this is what I've got.
    attic_13.jpgTrying a few new things, I'll post back is I figure anything out.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, still having bad luck. My concern right now is that the floor isn't getting any light.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmm, do you have lightmaps for everything? Btw scene looks a lot better with your update ^_^
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I do have lightmaps for every prop. The walls/ceiling/floor is all bsp.
  • Kozak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the scene so far (especially the typewriter), but I can't help but think that there's no story behind any of it. It looks like a generic study right now...boring.

You've got a typewriter and a handful of books. Maybe make it a prolific author's writing studio--fill it with boxes of old screen plays, stacks of crumpled paper, ink stains, broken pencils...you get the idea. Just figure out what direction you want the scene to go.

Also, everything looks way too clean. You've got a little dust on the top of the desk, but the rest of it looks brand new. Attics are filthy!
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making a little progress. Not much though. I really want the light to bounce all the way around the room to give a ambient effect almost. I don't like the really dark shadows basically.
    attic_14.jpg
    Also, why is it "leaking" light in the corner?
    attic_16.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally getting a result I want, tell me what you think.
    attic_17.jpg
    But there is one problem. what is going on with my window? I've turned up the lightmap res, but it doesn't change much unless I have it at like 2048, and it takes forever to bake. Its almost getting light from bouncing off of the texture beneath it: attic_18.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really love how this is turning out: attic_19.jpg
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really good!

Are you going to put in more stuff in the scene? It feels a little bit empty now.

Maybe try to get som color variation in there as well, the wood for the floor, walls and ceiling all looks the same now.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    The structure of the beams makes no sense. That would just collapse.. Check the attic pictures Vig linked.

Other then that, maybe you should add some history to the scene? And a little dirt and spiderwebs in the corners?

And yeah, if you say that you what some help and input, start by at least answering Vigs post. Just saying :)

Looks like a great start! Keep it up! :)
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, definitely putting more things in this scene!
    Reason I was doing lighting is because limewax suggested me to work on it before I went any further.
    the structure does make no sense, going to make some additional beams, and I was thinking of throwing in a brick and mortar fireplace thing. what do you think?
  • Carter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter polycounter lvl 12
    Is this based off the bird leg cabin in Alan Wake? Totally getting that vibe from it.
    Agree with everyone else more clutter to tell more of a story, I'd also add some timber jousts to the bottom and top of the beams, an exposed fireplace would be good for a change in materials
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter, it really is a mix of a few different things. But yea, it does have that Alan Wake vibe.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, worked on some of the structure. What do you think? (also added a bookshelf cloth cover)
    attic_21.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking good so far for what it is :] But I agree with the others that there could just be more stuff! Look up tons of pix of attics, see what makes the clutter - boxes? floorlamps? old cultural/family items? instruments? toolboxes? Then I would maybe do a quick concept for composition ideas. Keep it up!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Imodeled that exact same typewriter a month or two ago. I go it down to 500 tris.

Anywho, your wood seems to thick and fantacy. Whats holding it together? glue? Were are the nails, bolts, metal joints? the beams dont seem very geometric at all. they seem rounded and trange. I think it might have to do with the light maps. Read this tutorial and youll see what i mean http://stephenjameson.com/tutorials/lightmap-uvs-tutorial/
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stuff on the way.
    All my light maps are good in max, and when I import the props, they import correctly. So I'm not entirely sure what is going on.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added only 3 new props, been super busy/behind in school. C&C appreciated!
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    It'd be great if you turned up the brightness for the skybox. Had it bloomed, maybe even a custom light flare and had the shadows in the room fairly dark, give the entire scene a big feeling of contrast.
  • Roelant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it is coming really well together but in the last image the proportions of your chair seem to be a little weird. Keep going ;)