Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
Taking a break.

Replies

• dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    this looks cool but i swear all i can think of when i look at it is "Lol" :) keep going i wanna see this guy finished
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks. I hope I have enough time to get it done. I have a couple of serious ideas for deviating from the concept and making him 'mine', if only in logistics. The concept is super inspiring.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Update. First image is in Marmoset, second image is in zbrush. Currently I'm getting the low-poly all baked down. Currently I have the gloves, pants, boots and body armor baked, everything else is just the low-poly without normal maps.

Ignore the textures, they're nothing but base color and ugly ambient occ.

This character is next-gen, 10,000 polys with two 1024 texture, normal and spec maps. I'm aiming for somewhere between realistic and cartoony. It's a fine line, but I think I'l be able to swing it. The midget-esque proportions turned out well, and I knew that was going to be the hard part going it.

Crits and comments appreciated.

5vAwW.jpg
    HIKWK.jpg
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    When I first saw the character I thought little kid and not midget. Midgets seem to have fuller/thicker limbs
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yeah, I shouldn't of called him a midget. It's more just smaller limbs and an oversized head - possibly more like a dwarf.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    cant wait to see the rest of it
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    haha this looks pretty cool so far!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thank you both, much appreciated. I too can't wait until it's done. I've got other things to get too, but I need to make a point of finishing the things I start.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Too many hours at work, can't get time to work on this guy. Keeping the colors simple, baked occlusion and blocked diffuse. The kneepads, shirt and goggles are the only things left for unwrap and bake.

Would love some criticism. Especially on the colors, I can't decide what the scheme should be.

Hg92H.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Nothing screams toxic like a biohazard sign! Which I would definitely include in your model. Also, dull greens and bright reds don't seem to play well in the composition. Light greys and yellows seem to define scientists and researchers working in the field.

Hope that helps!
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    in my opinion the classic swat blue with yellow toxic sign would be awesome maybe you can put one of the signs on the breathing filter? xD
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Something more like this perhaps? Anyone with input to give feel free to comment. I want the pads to be a color - something other than black, and I don't feel as though blue works.

R3uqx.jpg
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    i like those blues but i think the yellow needs to be stronger and a tiny bit darker
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Much better than Christmas red and green! xD Yellow is definitely good for the theme you're going for, so I say the blue is good, or maybe try out the green again.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks to everyone for their input thus far. Here is the second pass on the textures, still just trying to get all the bases in place. It's been a good project to get some experience with NDO2 as well.

If anyone has any input about how close I should toe the line between realistic textures and cartoony, let me know. I kind of like the faded shades I'm using now.

Pn6cy.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Here's getting to the finishing point.

Disturbed by by UV's and bakes, I re-did the low-poly, re-mapped him and re-baked all the parts. Way better bake, way more efficient setup in the end.

Started texturing him this morning, so here's the 80% done texture. Spec maps need some work, but I'm getting fairly happy with him.

I'm thinking of using this as a portfolio piece, so I would really, really, really appreciate some hard/mean/critical input.

He's 2X2048 maps - spec, normals, diffuse. 12,000 tri's but I built in normal maps underneath some of the super high-poly areas so I can just drop them from the model and bump that number down to about 9K.

FTXvT.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I suppose I'll finish this up then. I've been thinking about a new face style, but can't find any cool ones. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Have to cut the map sizes down, change the color of the boots to black, fix the color on the leg straps and that's about it.
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    hey its looking really cool but i think the pants dont fit in there