Home Technical Talk

Indented Text On A Surface In Maya

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
Ive been wondering lately how you model indented text on a surface in maya like people do on guns and such, i know maya pretty well but text is just one of the things i havent really messed with much, usually i just have floating text baked into a normal map but how do you actually have the text on a hard surface?

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    My guess would be, that almost everyone here uses floaters for text.It´s just faster and easier then doing it by hand.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well that cant be the only way, how would you have it inverted, i mean creating text is really easy but like what lonewolf did here on his m4 http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88790&highlight=m4+loaded&page=6

theres gotta be a way to do that in maya this isnt the first time ive seen it this is just the first time ive wondered how it's done, that's on his high poly it's not baked in it's modeled in, i mean i guess you could create the text and then boolean it in but that would take some major cleaning up on the wireframe so there must be an easier way
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you mean the text on the gun or the scope?
    The text on the gun is not modeled in.
    The text on the scope is just text extruded(at least it looks like it looking at the wires, maybe he chamfered the edges, but it´s still floating text positioned in the scope)
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it looks indented on the gun, but ive seen it on other weapons for sure, im working on a handgun and it has indented text and i want to make an excellent high poly of the gun
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It´s indented, but it is still a floater...
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any idea on how it would be done? i mean is it part of a normal map and im just not seeing it? i guess i could also use an alpha in zbrush to do it, hmmmmmmm, how do you think lone wolf did it? thanks for your help btw
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    I found Maya's text tools to be very messy anyway. You simply do not have enough controls imo.

Best way would be to model it manually.
    The get the text indented on a surface.. boolean+ clean up should work. It should not be a big problem on a flat area like the link you posted with the "wolf text". N-gons are fine if there are no obvious artefacts.

On curved surface it would be more complicated. Yeah basically want to add more geometry to the curved surface so there is less noticeable artefacts when modelling the indented text. (Would probably be easier to model that area flat and bend it afterwards.)
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Just thinking out loud, but could you curve your floater using a spline following the curvature of your shape using Max's "Create spline from shape"?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably just use the standard text, make it editable, inset, clean up messy parts, indent it and voil
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In max I would use spline text, then sweep a profile shape over the spline to create the indent. Or convert the text to poly and bevel/extrude it.

I would be shocked if you can't do this in Maya.

EmbossedText.jpg

The trick is adding the lip that is perpendicular to the surface, and sloping + bevel the sides so they are captured by the projection rays when baking.
    ProjectionMissedRays.jpg

NormalMapBeveledSlope.jpg

The advantage of using spline text and floaters is that you can edit it and tweak it at anytime without having to screw with the core topology of the model. It saves time, and is more flexible.

You can also use plug-ins like nDO to convert photoshop text into a normal map and add it to your baked normal map. You do have to be extremely careful with this method because it can screw up the normals and cause seams.

Or it might not calculate the normal map properly for the rotation of the UV shell and might not look right.
    NormalMapFlipped.gif
    This is an example of an indent that has been rotated 180 degrees. If you do this with your text, your inny might become an outy. Or if you align the text before converting it to a normal map it will still come out wrong because the orientation on the final model won't match the orientation of the normal map.

nDO also won't give you exact control over the slope and bevel of the text like working with a profile spline would. It will more than likely take a good bit more trail and error with nDO.

nDO is great for working on flat planes like a sci-fi panel, where everything is facing the same direction, but once you start working on complex wrapped normal maps with rotated UV shells, its going to be better to bake it.

Also the latest version of nDO isn't free...
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Boyso wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud, but could you curve your floater using a spline following the curvature of your shape using Max's "Create spline from shape"?

Should be possible, I dont know Max very well but it sounds simple enough.

You could also use a Lattice(maya)/FFD(c4d) to curve your floating geometry to match the curved surface.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What mark showed is exactly what i meant.I left out the sweep modifier because i don´t know if maya can do that.

Edit:
    Is it intended, that both the original and the flipped ones are incorrect, mark?
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that sounds great and i learned quite a bit going through that, but i actually dont know how i could do those things in maya lol, ill have to play with it more i mean i know the tools in max and maya are virtually the same just different names but there are some things possible in either software that arent possible in the other hopefully this isnt one of those things, ill definitely look into it further thanks so much for your help everyone :D i have ndo2 btw
  • Sean VanGorder
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh ok so in max its called sweep in maya it's called extrude, to extrude a surface along a curve, thanks :) that helps quite a bit
  • fatihG_
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wish there was an easier way lol you would think they would have, an option for it
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    open the create text options, enter your text, choose your font, select bevel and create your text. select your text, invert normals, open attribute editor, select bevelplus. untick "bevel at end" and "cap at end", tweak bevel width until you're happy with it. if any letters are overlapping, separate mesh and move them. ticking "bevel inside curves" can help with letters with inner holes, like b, d, o, etc
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    my vote would be to just do it via ndo2 in photoshop.

no fucking about with it, and it is more flexible since you can draw something out by hand or use existing fonts.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    my vote would be to just do it via ndo2 in photoshop.

no fucking about with it, and it is more flexible since you can draw something out by hand or use existing fonts.
    That works if you're UV shell is aligned properly. If its up axis doesn't point toward the top of the normal map in Photoshop, then it will come out wrong on the model.
    I'm not going to bother installing nDO just to cook up an example but anyone who tries it will see what I'm talking about.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may aswell ask again... Mark in your example above is it intended that both examples(Original and Flipped) are wrong?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh missed that, sorry =/

The example on the left (original) is an indent that was baked from a piece of geometry. It's as correct as you can get.
    NormalMapFlippedGeo.jpg

The example on the right is the same map only rotated 180 degrees in photoshop, which because the way normal maps are calculated, causes the indent to reverse and pop out.

NormalMapFlipped2.gif
    I can kind of see how you might think the one on the left might be convex instead of concave, but there is only one light in the scene and it is indented.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Argh damn normal maps. They both looked like they are popping out.Which lead me to believe that both are wrong since the left one would be upside down and the right one would be mirror-inverted :D.
    But if it´s indented it makes sense, thanks for the clarification with the actual model my eyes see it how it was meant to be.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a bit like the spinning Ballerina, if you twist your brain you can rationalize it being convex or concave hahaha.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe exactly like that, or footsteps in sand can also give a similar feeling, depending on view they look like they stick out :D

This ballerina thing always creeps me out, i can switch what i see, but even though i know what´s coming i always feel like WTF?!
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    Hehe exactly like that, or footsteps in sand can also give a similar feeling, depending on view they look like they stick out :D

This ballerina thing always creeps me out, i can switch what i see, but even though i know what´s coming i always feel like WTF?!

you're not the only one lol, and ive learned quite a bit from this thread thanks guys, and thank you marine for the maya specific directions im going to have to try it, and mark these examples are phenomenal thank you for putting them together for me :) thanks everyone! i like it that im actually learning :D lol