Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning the ropes. Handpainting-practice.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
Handpainting, love it. I suck at it and I want to get way way better at it so I humbly throw myself and my pieces to the polycount wolves.

Biggest WIP-areas are the skeletal pieces but yeah, overall I'd guess it's contrast and saturation i need to work at amirite? :/

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/469564/handpaintedsword_05.jpg

PS: Concept is by some cool guy at Blizzard.

Latest:
handpaintedsword_06.jpg

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Could you post of the concept also :D?

Looking really cool, I think you can pop the highlights a little harder on the blade and bring in some more bounce lighting on the base of the handle. The design on the blade is a little flat, I think if you gave it some depth that would be really cool but that's not really a make or break think imo.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Smexy!

I occasionally check out renders with a black and white filter over it to see the areas that need more value contrast.
    In this case, the banding around the handle springs to mind, the lines that seperate them ought to be slightly darker imho.
    Blade itself is good, could just use a couple of specular hits if you were planning on putting that in your diffuse of course.
    The horn cutting with that skull is a bit of a turn of though. :)

Oh, link to concept btw?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, Andre! Nice work so far.
    I guess I'm not a big fan of the original concept(I haven't seen it though:) ) but here a few ideas your way

36265432.gif

-more contrast and saturation!
    -warm\cold color balance both in lights and shadows and in details
    -details composition balance(introduced some wrapping around the handle to echo what's going on on the blade)
    -some sharp bright accents for metal in places(I might've gone a bit overboard)

and I'm sure you can take way further. keep it up!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Learning the ropes my ass :poly142: That shit looks awesome already.

d1ver's paintover is pretty cool; you should definitely push the silhouette of that handle a little bit more
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits / kind words guys. Especially you diver. Sexy sexy gif stuff, I like the paintover quite a bit and yeah I need to sort out that horn-thing aswell. The connection isn't working that well.

Currently at work so can't write to much :)

weapon-runeblades03-large.jpg
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Looks cool, mate :)
    How many polys is this? Can you post some wires?
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    If only borderlands had swords... haha it looks great, I really do like the paintover.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Been sick this weekend and had my girlfriend over so haven't had much time to sink into this but here's an update. As you can see I liked some of Divers suggestions quite a bit and went with them.

Will throw in some effects at a later stage aswell. (Frost-smoke, eye-glows and such). Metall. I'll put it up once it's finished ;)
    I still need to adjust some stuff. The cloth is basically just slapped on and the uv's stretches across the handle. There's space on the uv-sheet, i just didn't get around to it. Figured i'd sort out the handle first.

handpaintedsword_06.jpg
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Looks cool, man!

A few things come to mind though. The cloth looks a little flat at the moment, so it would be nice to get that to really pop by upping the contrast. Also the metal looks very white at the end and reads more like stone to me.

Keep going! :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, Andre, nice progress! Sorry it took me a while - I've been a bit busy on the weekend.Here's a few more points for you:

-My biggest concern right now are those cyan details on the blade. To me the handle and the blade look like things coming from two completely different backgrounds, mashed together. They are made of completely different materials in completely different styles. Which to me doesn't make much sense. That's why on the overpaint I changed their hue a bit to resemble that of the handle - to at least have a unifying color scheme that's running through the whole object. Also the blade is cold colorwise with absolutely no warm details. Sticked on the very color-warm handle(even the blue cloth on it is warm compared to the blade) it feels unnatural and thus visually unappealing to me.
    So yeah, there definitely are other ways to fix this, but to not change things drastically the shortest would be to make those details of some sort of color present on the handle. Or you could just tone down the cold on those shapes just a bit but turn that dark blue background in the recess into more of a warmer color.

- Your blade has lots of pieces chipped off but still looks mirror-smooth. Put some texture on that bad boy! Cuts aren't the only way that metal gets worn.

- The metal thing holding the hand guard is evidently low poly. Don't be afraid to paint out those sharp corners on the metal part of the mesh itself - no one will ever know :) making it pretty is all that matters

- I would also suggest increasing contrast where the cloth meets the bone to make it pop out a bit more.

and just a little optional idea once and if you decide to balance out the colors some more - red would work nice here as an accent. Just a little bright red spot like a perpendicular line on the hanging cloth, or a bunch of red feathers at the end of the hanging cloth or maybe a ruby at the blade or something. Just to have a proper 3 color set-up.