Home Technical Talk

Max 2012 - Shift Click

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
Ok, we've upgraded to Max 2012 (from Max 9) here at the office. It looks like I can no longer Shift Click an object (or Gizmo) to create a copy of that object in it's exact location. I can still Shift Drag an object (or Gizmo) to create a copy but that moves the mesh which is undesirable for my needs. How can I fix this or is there another way to do this that is just as simple?

Thanks!

- BoBo

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctrl + v to clone stuff.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That works on an object level. How I used this function was on a sub-object level to detach elements as there own models. It looks like I'll just have to use the detach function. It just messes with my workflow. The new Shift Click to select loops or rings is handy though
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep... I had almost forgotten how nice shift click was until you brought it up =D

They changed it in 2010 or 11 and everyone has been forced to use detach on sub-object selections, which I totally agree is more useless mouse movement. For whole objects you have to use the right click -> Clone method.

I personally tucked "detach" into the editable poly quad menu right under clone so I'm using the same action to do what in my mind is the same function and not digging through the command panel.

I can only say it gets easier to use as the fog of time settles in... =P
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Bind "detach" to a hotkey for your mind's sake (shift+D here)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    welcome to modern max isn't that a sweet change? i somewhat got used to ctrl+v for object clone and ctrl+d for detach but still it was so much better in earlier versions
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    "They changed it in 2010 or 11" must have been 11...works fine in 10
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I hate that change too, I used to love to select faces and boom got a new piece to work with. Surprised no one made a script/hack if its possible to make a script of the shift+click option, I miss It damn you Autodesk.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    this is actually something I never really knew about until everyone was up in arms about it a few years ago so I guess I never knew what I was missing :(
    I don't have to duplicate faces ontop of themselves too often, so I've gotten used to using ctrl+d or something

you'd probably be able to do a callback but it'd be really tough to exclude shift-loop, shift+drag, etc. and would probably create more of a hassle than it would save...
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone. Yeah guess I just need to get used to the detach command.

Another Max 2012 question. Uniform scale in the UV editor? I want to type in how much I want to scale my UV's. Anyone know where to do this at?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Not sure what you are asking.

I tend to use uvw xform to rescale my uv's
    or
    I use maxscript. Just open the listener scale once, undo, and you should have the command similar to this :

$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.ScaleSelectedXY 0.5 0.7 [0,0,0]

where 0.5 and 0.7 are X and Y scale value so 50% and 70% and [0,0,0], the origin of the rescale in UVW coordinates. Then set it as you want.

or
    I toggle the percent snap, set to the wanted percentage, and rescale manually.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I guess the reason they removed it is to avoid accidentally cloning the mesh. But, they should've made the ctrl+v available at least. Never really used it on a sub object level myself though.

As for the scaling thing in the uv editor. Whenever I want to scale my uv's a certain amount, I usually type in the scale percentage in the snap settings. The same one you use for scaling meshes, work in the uv editor as well :)

/edit: blimey, beaten to it!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I thought they made that fix in max 2008, it was a huge upgrade... shift click was one of my favorite things to do... you can't do it in 2009...