Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aug Male - Take 2!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PaulP polycounter lvl 9
This is a private security character who could fit in the Deus-Ex HR universe (he uses some augmented and bionic technology).

This is a re-work of a previous project, and this time I have focused on improving the anatomy and using a more topologicaly sound base mesh. I am also trying to become more proficient in ZBrush by using the tools more intelligently, and learning new tricks along the way.

I'd be most interessted in hearing crits concerning anatomy and proportions, and whatever else comes to your mind. I've kept the divisions reasonably low so I don't get ahead or myself like I did last time!

p.s. I'd like to thank praetus for reccomending me that ZBrush book, its been very helpful!

01RenderFront.jpg
01RenderSide.jpg
01RenderBack.jpg
01RenderHead.jpg

Cheers for looking!

Replies

• Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just about 7.5 heads tall it seems, biggest concern for me is the arms, and hands. Arms and hands look a bit thin. And the hands especially seem small.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Jowens. Ive bulked out his arms, increased the size of his hands, and reproportioned his body so its much closer to 7.5 heads tall.

02RenderFront.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I did a real quick scratch and sniff for ya. Mind you its messy. I just felt like your shoulders were a tad low, and the chest would be a big broader considering the width of the head. This would also make the hips a tad wider. You also have zero muscle mass for the legs. Its possible you should worry about making the clothes/equipment after you have your masses. Also they shape of the forearms seemed really off.232323232%7Ffp%3B3%3B%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E66%3A%3E%3A%3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C393%3A%3A%3B433%3Anu0mrj
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback, lots of useful crits and advice.

Heres a minor update, I've adjusted the proportions (wider chest & hips, higher shoulders, more muscle mass in legs), and I've also adjusted the ears to stick out more, and made him stand up properly (totaly didn't notice that weird pose I had him in!).

03screenshot.jpg

My brains a bit fried right now, so I'll try finish off the rest of the adjustments soon. Thanks again for your help!
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the shades by the way, and you've improved the model alot already but I did a quick paint over myself. I may have exaggerated some forms, but you get the idea.

Just a thought but you may want to go for 8 heads tall, or not. Generally that is accepted by most artists, plus it gives a more heroic feel to the character. Still your personal preference is fine. Hope this helps shape the forearm/hands and the shoulders a bit better. Keep in mind my paint over really adds a lot of muscle, and that may not be what youre going for but, I picture a guard to be a little bit more physically fit.

Anatomy is key!

maleproportions.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Hey been crazy busy the last few days, finally managed to get back on track today. Thanks for your post Jowens, lots of useful crits!

Since my last post I've further adjusted the proportions (mostly adding muscle mass to the arms, legs and torso), I've refined the muscle definition in the arms (I found some good references courtesy of the UFC!), added more realistic creasing to the trousers, as well as lots of other tweaks.

Anyway, heres the latest...
    04ScreenShot.jpg
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When looking at the references you have try taking a look at the wrist the wrists on your character are to skinny. adjusting the thickness of the wrists will help a lot. also his legs seem much to far apart you can keep the ankles where they are but try adjusting the space in between his legs so they are closer together near his crotch in other words I think his hips are to wide.

another thing to look at is his chest. The whole front of his body is flat from the side view try bringing his pecs out a bit.

Huge progress though keep it up!
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks jk_virginia, btw I liked that 'Fututistic light infantry character' you did!

I've moved around the torso in the side view (been meaning to do that earlier, just had problems getting it to look right), I've tightened the space around the crotch and rebalanced the hips/top of legs, and bulked out the wrists.

05ScreenShot.jpg
    Only a minor update, but it was the most I could do with my work eating up precious 3D time (damn them!).
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Hey heres my latest update! I've made lots of subtle adjustments and additions to the sculpt, and I've layed down my base textures with some shadows & highlights. I've used polypaint for this (first time really getting into it) and am planning to build on the textures in Photoshop when I bring my model back into max.

I'd like to hear your oppinions on my base colours, and anything else that comes to mind!

PrivateSecurity-Augmented.jpg
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's coming along nicely now.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I've finally found time to revisit this project to try finish it off. I've made some improvements to the actual sculpt, but concentrated more on the texture work. I've been learning new ways to get better base textures out of ZBrush so I don't have to over rely on Photoshop, and I have to say I've had alot of fun learning Spotlight!

Anyway here’s the highpoly, I would like to hear your thoughts before moving on to the low poly and bake.

EDIT: my screen colour calibration is out of whack when I posted the image, so I'll try again, this should hopefully be more readable:

augfront.jpg

augside.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I've finished my low-poly bake, I just have a bunch of cleaning up to do and some retoping. I had some nightmare issues with ZBrush which ate a stupid amount of my time, but luckily the problem got solved!

I've also created a gun for my character. I'm still a bit inexperienced when it comes to hardsurface modelling, so I watch a bunch of tuts on DT and learnt some new tricks. The gun is still HP but I'll try and bake it out soon. Any comments or tips concerning the gun would be appreciated, and same with the character :)

Front02.jpg

Gun-01.jpg

gun-02.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I've finished baking the gun, retoping everything, and I've added a few more maps (spec, spec colour, glow). I've also cleaned up a few things here and there and I'm going to start building the rig soon.

If anyones got any crits or suggestions before I start skinning, I'd be glad to hear them :)

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Almost done now! I've tried out some poses and lighting set-ups and this one came out the best imo. I'm going to try and work out the composition now and get to work in Ps. Any comments & crits would be appreciated as always.

render-05-web-16x.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Ok here's my final (hopefully) composition. I've tried to keep it relatively clean and simple to focus on showing off the character.

I'm not 100% on the ground because the bonding cement between the cobles is reflecting alot of light, so let me know if you have any thoughts on this, and anything else regarding this render. Thanks!

Comp1_WEB-7512.jpg