Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Boobs, Guns And Hard Work. (sculpts, wips, workflows, finished pieces)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
It's been a long time coming but it's here finally... Instead of just the odd appearance in WAYWO, emerging from the depths of obscurity now and then to ask for feedback. I also have some work on the NDA shelf I'm eager to post in future but you know how it goes till then.

First of all let me dump all the junk from the recent girl I made, she would have turned out far worse without all the fantastic feedback & crits I received on it, So thanks guys!

I named her Bianca, she's alittle higher than I usually like to work; weighing in at 16,627 Triangles.

pLddu.jpg
JP67C.jpg
ZvleY.jpg
i1B24.jpg

The texture feels like abit of a spag now, 2048-D/N/S And then 3 flat 512's for the fur shells.

A few people requested the workflow for the fur so here it is:

Ideally I would have liked to do it properly in 'shadow of the colossus' Stylee and bake strands onto layers. But after hours with the hair&fur modifier I was no closer to what I wanted. And handpainting the fur and alphas would have been just as time consuming. So I fashioned a new faster and simpler way using gradient maps.
I hope you can take something away from it :D

cY9LD.jpg

Putting speed sculpts aside for now I've come back to this anatomy guy whom I've been toying with odd concepts for but I've decided to go with in the same direction as the girl for some consistency.

VGzxL.jpg

The bane of my characters has always been the crease work, fun as sculpting is it's still difficult heh. I'm a fiend for crits so anything that bugs you about him just hit me with it, no gloss just boss.

He will have shoes btw :P

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    remember seeing the chickadee in the WAYWO thread and your attention to detail is really laudable. very strong character work. it's funny you'd say the creasing is the bane of your work when you carry it off so well. looking forward to progress on the new character :)
  • Jenn0_Bing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenn0_Bing polycounter lvl 7
    Impressive stuff. I know it's not the most important thing here, but I'd love to see a bit of a smile on here face. She's a little creepy with that blank expression.
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome,will be checking this thread from now on,don't see any problems with your folds though,they look fine to me.That guy you're building looks cool,but a bit generic imo,his face is really well done though and proportions,looking forward to see the progress on him,btw i should follow your example and make a thread for my self to dump my art instead of pooping over waywo,cheers :)
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    I really dig the young lady, it's an excellent work. I swear she looks a lot like one of my old friends!
    Plus I always loved that technique for making fur, I remember it has been used in Shadow Of The Colossus and it was incredibly effective.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Gauss I appreciate it! I said that mainly because I'm only really as good as my reference; much to which MM pointed out that the folds only work in a static position.
    I kinda feel like there isn't a specific way to go about it as there is with say anatomy, creases being situational. Altho I understand that view is most likely just down to my current skill level >_<;

Jenn0_Bing, yeah a fair few people seem to be saying that now. I will have ago at cheering her up altho it's hard not to make her look even more scary lol.

Cheers G2000 you totally should! I'd definitely like to see more, your Flash-girl turned out great, especially the beauty shot :)

Mr_Drayton
    , The way Sotc's fur flows and is shaped is always a wonder to look at :) Absolute bunch of Crazies to be able to create that standard.

As I mentioned briefly, MM was even more awesomer to give me another great crit. Mainly focusing on how the folds need to work for multiple positions and not just a static pose. Reference often misleading for game art unless in a dynamic pose.

So I've worked into it more with this in mind. Altho with more difficulty, working off multiple references instead of a singular constant can sometimes make it feel like a mishmash to me. Remembering that joints will need to act like a bendy straw, topology wise.

Bosched some hair on there aswell. He looks like an older version of myself now lol.

ebHYu.jpg

I've still yet to go into the small details like fine creases for the jeans stemming from the seams etc.