Home Technical Talk

win7 question

How do I remove the little taskbar popups like for my split.txt file popping up??

21cuzw0.jpg

Thanks.

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    It should be disabled if it´s the preview(It should only work with Aero enabled)

Not entirely sure if this helps, but this kinda gets rid of the preview window popping up, if it´s not that i don´t think that you can disable it :(
    Registry Editor:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Set the Value "ExtendedUIHoverTime" to something like 30000(which would mean that it only pops up after 30 seconds which should be plenty to not activate it)

Edit:
    It seems that the forum software adds a blank spase in CurrentVersion which is not intended.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    why do you want to get rid of this, the jumplists and pinning stuff to apps in the taskbar is one of the best new UI features of win7
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I personally find it ridiculously annoying. I'll give specter's trick a try.
    I've disabled Aero and all it's shiny features because it's just not necessary.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this helps(if it disables the popping up thingie) then you should disable the grouping of tabs as well, otherwise you can´t access other things other than the active one without waiting 30 seconds.

In most cases i agree that some Aero features are not really necessary, but the Aero Snap feature totally rocks imo.

But things like Aero "Shake"(not sure how it´s really called) and the preview in the taskbar are really not necessary.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    ugh, i can't believe there are still people trying to force the xp style workflow on 7. you're missing out on so many window management enhancements that you might as well just be using xp.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Racer445 wrote: »
    ugh, i can't believe there are still people trying to force the xp style workflow on 7. you're missing out on so many window management enhancements that you might as well just be using xp.

so true. Its like folks seem to think things need to look 15 years old to be efficient.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    so true. Its like folks seem to think things need to look 15 years old to be efficient.

It´s not like that? Seems i have to update from Windows 3.11 then:poly142:
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Aero causes issues with max in some cases. For example, when I have my outliner window (max script for layer management), and I want to move it around the screen, aero causes it to lag like crazy, making it flicker. Whereas simply deactivating aero solves this. I like some of the win 7 features, like window snaps for example, but I dont need my window borders to be transparent, that just slows things down unnecessarily.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not disabling the transparency instead of disabling the whole thing?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never used Aero, i removed it immediately. Why do i need transparency windows and shiny buttons? It's annoying and ugly. As to you racer, we all have preferences. You have yours I have mine. No one is wrong, it's just a matter of preference. Like I like the color grey and maybe like blue. That doesn't mean either of us is wrong...
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    n88tr wrote: »
    I never used Aero, i removed it immediately.

well there's your problem.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't there a stock "windows classic" theme that still uses the new folder management features?
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well there's your problem.
    When in doubt, C4

TAM_6_-_Adam_Savage_by_Scott_Hurst.jpeg

On a more serious note though..

Startmenu > RMB on Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Performance (settings button) > Uncheck 'enable aero peek'

I think that's it anyway, I left everything on as I very much fancy shiny transparent buttons myself :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aero Peek is only for the quick view to the desktop if you hover in the bottom right corner not for the preview of open windows ;)