Home Technical Talk

Maya cannot set rotation more than once

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
We have a character rigged with maya 2012 HIK and animating it works on all translations xyz but the rotation just seems to take the latest keyframe you set and apply that to the whole file, I have no idea what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cant find any advice on this problem anywhere online.

Replies

• Warheart
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    Any chance you have snap rotate turned on without relative mode?

Just a guess. I should say I haven't animated with HIK in 2012 yet so if it's definitely an issue specific to that then just ignore me :).
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Warheart wrote: »
    Any chance you have snap rotate turned on without relative mode?

Just a guess. I should say I haven't animated with HIK in 2012 yet so if it's definitely an issue specific to that then just ignore me :).

Havent set it to discrete or got any step size so I dont think thats the issue. I dont really understand how this rig is both fk and ik, maybe the ik is somehow not allowing me to keyframe the rotation.

is HIK not a good way to rig a simple game character? what would people recommend doing in maya for a simple rig that has ik and can use mocap?
  • agentfx
    argh, you have to do real rigging if you want something done right. a mocap skeleton, a bind skeleton, and an offset skeleton. I have a friend make me skeletons/rigs that I bind and use. Bake everything down to the bind skeleton and you're done...

Here’s the rigging environment my friend recommends
    http://www.animationstudios.com.au/AdvancedSkeleton/helpfiles/index.html
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    agentfx wrote: »
    argh, you have to do real rigging if you want something done right. a mocap skeleton, a bind skeleton, and an offset skeleton. I have a friend make me skeletons/rigs that I bind and use. Bake everything down to the bind skeleton and you're done...

Here’s the rigging environment my friend recommends
    http://www.animationstudios.com.au/AdvancedSkeleton/helpfiles/index.html

that seems incredibly complicated? I just want to make a simple iphone game character, like with a max style biped? is there anything like that in maya or a similar rig setup available as a download/plugin?