Home General Discussion

Indie Royal Bundle?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
http://www.indieroyale.com/

Didn't see this posted around here but it's worth people knowing about it. Basically 4 games for a fairly cheap price. I'm not sure how it works but I'm guessing the price goes up everytime someone purchases it? I bought it at £1.82 but now it's £2.87. They also seem to be releasing free DLC as thanks for the large numbers of sales.

It's not related to the Indie Humble Bundle so nothing going to charity but the games look pretty good. Just been playing Sanctum and I reckon that's worth a buy on it's own.

4 Days left though so go buy it now.

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    yep, great games overall, and an interesting new take on the discounted bundle thing.

But weird of them to change their bonus from:

Also a DLC pack will be included for every 10,000 sales.

to:

BONUS DLC OFFER: 20,000 sales! To say thanks, two DLC packs for Sanctum are due to appear on your key page in 24hours. When 70,000 bundles in total have been sold, a third DLC for Sanctum will be released!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Lovin' the bundle. Some indie bundles have felt repetitive or underwhelming but this one really surprised me. Some really special indie games here, the titles I was expecting to enjoy the least I'm actually liking the most.

What i find odd is the more you pay, the less the bundle costs others, so essentially by trying to fund them you are reducing the money others are giving to them, strange. I'm not really sure what this angle is supposed to mean, but it is interesting. Perhaps that's the most important part.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    What i find odd is the more you pay the less the bundle costs others, so essentially by trying to fund them you are reducing the money others are giving to them, strange. I'm not really sure what this angle is supposed to mean, whatever purpose it serves it is interesting. Perhaps that's the most important part.

think they got a target income they want from it so there hopeing if someone drops a lot of momney they make it cheaper and more people buy it cheaper.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting... I guess it could be some sort of brilliant mind game they're playing with the consumer. On one hand... Look at that low price! On the other hand the consumer knows others have donated a good chunk to lower that price for them and by paying the bare minimum they aren't "contributing". It's pretty funny, people who buy indie games def. don't buy 'em to be the guy driving up costs for others or to feel as though they aren't helping.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I actually picked up Gemini Rue a while back and played it through, quite a good lil point and click game. I'll have to look into the rest of them to see whether I'll want to play them.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's well worth picking up - and if you don't pay more than the current going rate (£3.80), you're a cheapskate.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, done all the levels in Sanctum, except 2 DLC ones. Haven't played it in co-op either since no-one I knew bought it, but still fun.. I'd just lag out and disconnect if we had to use skype or something anyway. Can't beat a tower defence game, and the FPS factor and graphics stops you from getting bored.

Played some Gemini Rue and yeah that's pretty good though I do get a little bored of point and clicks easily. Nibmus is probably something I'd let my gf play. ARES seems pretty good too. So yeah good deal.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bought! Though no time to play :(

Looking forward to Gemini Rue, maybe next week...
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Heh. I bought gemini-rue for $14.99 when it first came out.
    Definitely a fun game and well worth the $1 it is now.
    B
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The next indieroyale bundle is coming in under 5 hours, can't wait. I was very happy with Gemini Rue and Sanctum, and the other 2 were alright. Was suprised my girlfriend played Gemini Rue to be honest, she's not really into games except Lego Harry Potter, she did keep complaining about the 'graphics' though. I hope the next bundle doesn't dissapoint.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, I'm wondering what's up next too. I'll likely be sleeping during the launch though, I hope the price doesn't climb too high before I wake up.

These "bundles" are quite good at getting me to spend money I don't really have. I should be saving up a bit for Steam's holiday sales...
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new bundle is up now, worth a look. I think the previous bundle looked better but it's still 4 indie games at a good deal.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly 3000 copies gone in the first hour!

Site is taking an performance awful hit.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And another one is up, I didn't really play the ones from the last bundle, but I'll probably play some of these.This time there's Really Big Sky, Runespell Overture, Cthulhu saves the world, Eufloria and Breath of Death VII. Strange names.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Clthulhu is a really fun game, nostalgic as those old jrpgs but moe forgiving and less grinding.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent about an hour with each of these games and they're all pretty flawed.

The best of the bunch IMO, Runespell, just doesn't compete against comperable indie titles like puzzlequest. It's a pretty boring twist on poker and solitair that gets old incredibly fast. I found the best strat was to just going for 4 of a kind all game long.

The Cthulu game was sorta cute but just didn't have any spark of excitement to it, lackluster stats, bloated number of skills, you end up using one skill with every character for single target fights and 1 skill for multi target fights. Items and skills also follow the same boring linear progression line found in most lackluster RPGs. The enemies ramping up in power every round was a pretty annoying dynamic too that forces high difficulty without actually spending time to make it interesting. How do we balance this battle? We'll just tune the HP till it's really hard to kill them in time AGAIN!

The 2d fighter game was meh, there are far better 2d side scrollers you can play online for free. Just the same old same old bullet hell with some clunky planet diving that doesn't make the game much better. Stale overdone upgrade system and another post process effect geometry wars clone.

Eufloria had potential, but I've played a few games with this gameplay dynamic and it was just painstakingly slow. Without the twich element of sending in waves and defending at a high level of engagement the game is mind numbing, after the first couple levels i just left it running in the background as i surfed the web, coming back to it in 5 minutes when i had a big enough army to attack, rinse repeat. Got about an hour in and couldn't play it any more.

I wouldn't recommend this bundle. I mean yeah, if you're a gamer junky and have 4 bucks, go for it. Runescape, uefloria, and the shooter game have some decent production value, but they all pale in comparison to multiple games in prior bundles.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't a big fan of this bundle, but I still picked it up. I'm getting a bit bored of seeing so many twin stick shooters though - we've had four already and we're only on the third bundle?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I haven't played much but I've given them all a go, I think Sanctum and Gemini Rue were just really good, I haven't played any that I'd want to continue playing for a long period.