Home Technical Talk

Regressing to 2010...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
Green = Problem Solved

Didn't want to be one of those guys who resists change. I usually try to embrace it. So I forced myself to move up to 2012. I had some issues with Nitrous, switching to Direct3d fixes most of my problems. But then Direct3d has its own?!

Maybe some of you guys can let me know how many of these issues are just me.

Nitrous:
- 3ds Max crashes when I use caddies while Photoshop is open. Or they just don't pop up. (ATI Radeon Mobility on the latest drivers)
- the 1st Isolate Selection is SUPER slow
- 1st time you bring up the Material Editor is SUPER slow
- If you don't "Apply" your viewport settings they will reset every time you change your view type. Example: Selection Brackets come back on when you switch to wireframe view and back.
- Wireframes don't display like they used to. They are super fuzzy.
- I have a toolbar button for "Display Selected with Edged Faces" and it is broken in Nitrous.
- 3point Shader not supported in Nitrous :(
- Nitrous does not accurately represent Specular within the viewport. A gray shader with a specular of 50 looks more like a specular of 30.

2012 Related:
- The "Cap" tool within the Graphite Modeling tools, otherwise known as "Create Polygon" in the Customize menu, used to allow you to create a polygon through any number of edges so long as you weren't going around a corner... you could even cap with it. In 2012, both Nitrous and Direct3d, it only allows you to create a polygon between 2 edges and sometimes 3. Don't know if this was broken in 2011. In 2010 you could do anything with it.

I would love to know if anyone has a fix for the last two. I have all service packs and hotfixes installed. And to be honest I didn't get very far into unwrapping before noticing that relax tool. So I don't know how many other tools are possibly broken within the unwrap.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    not to be mean or anything but maybe consider getting a nVidia GPU as ATI's drivers often don't play nice on professional applications such as 3dsMax, Mudbox,... Maybe someone else can confirm this?
    I had several times issues with ATI in the past esspecially with Max, Flint, Mudbox and some other 3d CG apps- just broken results and a horrible catalyst driver that tries to hook into the system, crashes or does misbehave in other ways. With the nVidia drivers I can disable any UI- running services or apps as they are not mandatory for the 'drivers' and or cause things to crash or not work.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with renderhjs when it comes to using Nvidia cards for 3D-applications. ATI usually causes more trouble and has compatibility issues, at least from my experience.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    All your Nitrous points are moot, tbh, just don't use it. I survive perfectly without ever needing it, glad I got rid of it actually.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with renderhjs too, I had an ati card for a month once but had to sell it and buy a nvidia card, since not a single 3D app worked the way it should and I got weird freezing in windows.
    It's several years ago now but I still have the same nvidia card, never had a single problem with it :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Never had a problem with desktop ATIs newer than 2007 in Max or Maya.
    But Mobility Radeon...totally different thing. stay far far far away from them!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    ati cards break a lot of graphics programs, and like xoliul said, your nitrous points are invalid.

personally i do the bulk of my work in 2009 because caddies deserve a horrible, painful death. 2009 for modeling, 2012 for viewport presentation.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i don't have any problems with my ATI HD6950.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) Nitrous requires a high end graphics card, a ATI mobility just isn't going to work for a lot of things, especially Nitrous, so forget about it.

2) You might want to check out "Step Build" in Graphite Modeling, it sounds like it has the functionality you're looking for. You should read the tooltip, there is a lot it does by holding various key combinations.

As far as I know cap has only worked to close entire holes and can't operate specifically between two edges, maybe you're thinking of "Bridge"?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    There still is "Create polygon" and this got nothing to do with cap.
    Create Polygon creates a Polygon with selected verts as corners, the cap tool just slaps a polygon onto holes^^
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damnit... yeah everytime I tell ppl I am using an ATI they are like well there is your problem!
    Okay! Okay! Going Nvidia next time... This was actually my first ATI.

As for the Cap thing... I know I sound crazy but it is true! D:

Cap_Poly.jpg

Which is the reason I am sorta pissed about it. It is a crazy hybrid between bridge, cap, and create poly. You get the best of everything all in one tool.
    It was a pretty amazing tool back when it worked. :( just wondering if anyone had some insight into it.

Pretty interesting conversation over on The Area. People are addressing some of the problems.

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/autodesk-3ds-max--3ds-max-design-2012/relax-tool-broken-in-direct3d-among-other-things-in-nitrous/
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And yeah... I had been out of Nitrous for a while now. Just trying to address some of the problems so that hopefully one day I could work in it and get the benefits of loading in higher meshes ya' know?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    why go back to 2010, 2011 fixed a load of slowdowns in 2010 and in general is a much more stable fluid version
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    I would recommend learning the basics of scripting, and you can write that cap thing yourself, only much better, and for as many tools as you want. Please note this requires no writing of the functions themselves, all you do is establish context then fire off existing functions. Search the forum for "smartfunctions" and/or derivatives

Yeah I am slowly learning things and I plan on delving into it a lot more once I actually graduate (hate using that term here, lets people know I am noob >.<). Trying to finish up my portfolio and that is definitely what I plan on doing.

As for why I don't use 2011... Kinda what perna said. They all have their issues, and I can't get over the caddy issue in 2011. At least they sorta made them useable in 2012. And I know a there is a way around it... I guess I just don't really mind 2010. I feel like the only thing 2010 doesn't have is the slate editor... and I really don't make materials enough that I need it.

I am staying in 2012 atm. because the main reason I was going to switch out was because I thought they broke the relax tool in the UVW Unwrap... but it was just a common issue of PEBCAK. ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there's enough in 2012 to justify jumping from 2009 to 2012. 2010 and 2011 where rough years but there are things that I've come to depend on in the newer versions I wouldn't want to go back and I wouldn't want to try and code those myself.

The differences between 2009 and 2012 that I have a hard time living without.
    • Retopo tools
    • Conform brush
    • Object Paint
    • Slate
    • Substance Materials
    • Viewport Canvas
    • CAT
    • Swift loop
    • Dot Ring/Loop
    • GeoPoly
    • Quadrify
    • Branch
    • UV editor improvements
      • Peel
      • Explode by Mat ID, by smoothing, by face angle.
      • Point to point seam selection
      • Straighten selection (gridify shells)
      • Flatten horiz/vert
      • Groups
      • Rescale Elements
    • Gizmo improvements (specifically select vert when snaps are on)
    • Snap improvements
    • Shift click selects loops or rings
    • Composite
    • ProSound
    • Functioning caddy system (behaves like the old system, just looks different)
    All of those things don't seem like much on their own and some of them where broken or poorly implemented in 2010 and 2011 but now that the service packs are out for 2012 things are pretty smooth and I like it.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of those things don't seem like much on their own and some of them where broken or poorly implemented in 2010 and 2011 but now that the service packs are out for 2012 things are pretty smooth and I like it.

I agree with this completely... I guess from what I understand is most people running 2009 had polyboost so they still had the "graphite tools."

I guess all these new versions did is get rid of my need for scripts I already had.

Wrapit and TexTools covers most of those. I am settling in 2012... I am pretty sure that the rough part is finally over. No more rewriting of tools and viewports... so hopefully it will just be new features from here on out! :D Which would be great.

I guess the only thing they haven't screwed with is the modifier panel...
    dun dun duuuuuuun!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Wrapit and TexTools covers most of those. I am settling in 2012... I am pretty sure that the rough part is finally over. No more rewriting of tools and viewports... so hopefully it will just be new features from here on out! :D Which would be great.

I guess the only thing they haven't screwed with is the modifier panel...
    dun dun duuuuuuun!

personally Id prefer it if they took a long hard look at the workflows in max and refined them more. Graphite is adding a metric ton of new tools alot of which can be condensed into (to quote perna) 'smart tools'
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When polyboost first came out I paid for it and I loved it, despite all the problems it had. They've fixed a lot of those problems and expanded on it. I really wouldn't want to give up the modern free, fixed version of polyboost to go back to the old, especially if you had to buy it.

In 2009+polyboost the viewport canvas had a ton of potential when it came out but was horrific. The brush had major performance issues, it would stutter, skip and grid the viewport to a halt. It was missing some of the new features that now make it great, like the clone brush, layers and tablet pressure.

I wouldn't use the old viewport canvas but I use the upgraded 2011+ version all the time for a lot of things, its fast flexible and reliable which the old version isn't.

Polyboost also would cause a lot of memory leaks which lead to crashes, which have now been fixed. It had issues with its own undo buffer which wasn't sorted out until 2011.

Personally I still like the compacted window that polyboost used instead of the ribbon. The old window looked ugly and it was a pain to learn what button did what, but it was fast. The ribbon takes up a lot of space and wastes the space it uses. The great thing about the ribbon is the expanded tool tips which is great for learning what the tools do, then get annoying once you have it figured out heh, thankfully in 2011 they allowed you to mute the tooltips.

I also have a copy of wrapit for home use and it rocks, however my employer is always a little leery of buying and depending on 3rd party scripts and plug-ins. We use a few, but they don't like loading up on them.

With a new version of max hitting the street every April-ish its a pain in the ass to install all those old scripts only to find out many of them have become unstable or need to be recompiled and the script author has fallen off the planet. At least if its inside 3dsmax they are obliged to fix it and keep it working long after the authors enthusiasm fades.