Home Technical Talk

How should I model this?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
I feel so stupid asking this question for a simple thing, but as I look at it more and more it looks harder and harder.

What is the best way to model this?

kriss-sbr.jpg

This is what I have now:
allivegot.jpg

Replies

• Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    im not even sure what that bottom piece is. it might help if you find more images of that same gun at different angles. Youtube is also a good idea.. i know that there are a lot of gun demos and reviews that people like to make and you get to see those guns at many different angles.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The piece below is to the left of what I want to model.
  • Visioneer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visioneer polycounter lvl 8
    I tried to understand what your question was, and created a low poly "cage" for you to consider for your modeling approach. The Blue line is the border of the illustration, while the red is the cage for the low poly mesh, and the green lines are the tri layouts. I hope it makes sense.

For image, please see my following post.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    gunthingmodelhelp.jpg

dunno if this is what you meant, but here's a quick hacky model job 15 min or so in max.

basically started with a box and divided it then extruded out the nubs that made the groove... and then extruded out the side thing ... added some supporting edges and set edge flow on the places that weren't supposed to be hard edged.. kinda janky lookin but hopefully answers your question.
  • Visioneer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visioneer polycounter lvl 8
    I did pretty much the same thing, but in a much lower polycount (probably too low poly) but since this seems to be a game art forum, I though I'd play it safe. I'm thinking the weapon is a TDI Kriss, so the tab underneath is the stock sling mount (I think, not very familiar with the weapon) which, in my opinion, should be modeled separately for the sake of animation anyway. I hope this helps in some way. If you want it, I can send you the OBJ of the part I modeled.

-Jeremy
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Thanks a ton for your replies!
    I'm planning on making a low poly, then converting that to a high-poly.

I've done a lot of low poly stuff (TF2) But never really got into the high-poly/baking side, and I would really like to know how to do that soon.

@Visioneer: Nice guess on the gun! it is a Kriss Vector.