Home Technical Talk

spline ik alternatives?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
Im currently working on An animation that requires a small wire to snake through a coiled tube, ive tried using a spline ik handle but the esults are quite unpredictable when i export to my game engine (even after baking)

So my question is wether or not there is An alternative to the spline ik that could give me better control?

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    You could make your own Spine Controls if you are familiar with Wire Parameters and stuff and most of the time the results are more predictable and controllable
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Are you using 3D Max or Maya? What is unpredictable about it?

If you are using Max, are you using an Up Node? Did you check the bone scale? This could cause the game engine to play the animation wrong.

BTW, if someone told me to animate a wire coiling through a tube I'd say, "No thanks."
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Using maya.
    when i say unpredictable i mean the exported animation pops and skews all over the place even though it looks fine in maya.

Unfortunately rigging isnt my strongest suit so im not very familiar with wire parameters, but il look into it, thanks.

Oh and believe me, id rather not do this but so is the job of a generalist
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Not sure if wire parameters are available in Maya.I was talking about max. I did something like that once(it took longer to set up but it was worth it)