Home General Discussion

Akira - The hollywood remake gets greenlit..

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rolfness polycounter lvl 18
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Akira-Remake-Gets-Greenlight-Garrett-Hedlund-Frontrunner-Lead-Role-27425.html

Variety has learned that Warner Bros. has given the greenlight to the live-action remake of Akira. The project will move forward with a budget of $90 million and will try to begin production early next year. The new movie will move the setting from futuristic Tokyo to a futuristic Manhattan, where the leader of a biker gang tries to save his friend with psychokinetic powers from the government. Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Davisson Killoran, Andrew Lazar and Katsuhiro Otomo, who directed the original film, will serve as producers and Steve Kloves, best known for his work on the Harry Potter franchise, wrote the script. Furthermore, the site has also learned that Garrett Hedlund - who audiences saw riding enhanced motorcycles in last year's Tron Legacy - is a favorite to take the lead role of Kaneda.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

and in other news hollywood also thinks another die hard movie is a good idea...

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANO
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Of course they want the movie to appeal to a lot more people, so im sure the setting wont be the only thing they rape about this manga. They will never pull off the style. Akira and Blade Runner have a lot in common stylistically. I don't see that they have a young in his prime Ridley Scott directing it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"Steve Kloves, best known for his work on the Harry Potter franchise, wrote the script"

Tetsuo: "Armus Mechanico!"... Kaneda "Rechargium laserio". Oh for pete's sake.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    somehow this feels very appropriate:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI"]The American Akira (Coming 2011) - YouTube[/ame]
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    somehow this feels very appropriate:

The American Akira (Coming 2011) - YouTube

not far off

not funny... and..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I just dread the day they touch Cowboy Bebop. You know I haven't actually seen Akira, perhaps I will.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    oh god..I thought this died...hopefully it is not the script that Cracked.com talked about..I've seen episodes of Jersey Shore with better writing..I love Akira, but if it gets whitewashed and retooled for Merica..I'll pass
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Saw Akira for the first time a couple of months ago, was blown away. But the downside is I will now feel the true pain of what Hollywood does to it.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of changes too, New York it seems ..no doubt Kaneda will be renamed to Keith. Akira, Al
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone is who a fan of the movie akira, and hasn't read the manga, should do so. The movie is a bit nonsensical plot wise because they tried to jam too much in there. Read the manga.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    Anyone is who a fan of the movie akira, and hasn't read the manga, should do so. The movie is a bit nonsensical plot wise because they tried to jam too much in there. Read the manga.

+1

and if you do it will make the hollywood version that much worse...
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    "Anyone is who a fan of the movie akira, and hasn't read the manga, should do so. The movie is a bit nonsensical plot wise because they tried to jam too much in there. Read the manga."

agreed..but the movie is an awesome feast for the eyes
  • Mrskullface
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The Manga is absolutely brilliant, all six books.

I heard a rumour that on the original script for this shitty American remake, Tetsuo's name is changed to Travis. And the location is in New York..but since the US is broke Japan bought it and put Neo Tokyo there. So Travis and Kaneda..just hangin out in New York being punx.

What the fuck.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    rolfness wrote: »
    and in other news hollywood also thinks another die hard movie is a good idea...

You're damn right another Die Hard movie is a good idea. :]
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <_____________________________<
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Zac Efron or bust.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I always wondering why we don't see Indie movie have room to move as much as we see in games?
    could be a good way to refresh the creative controls in movie industry if they have more publicity and budget.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    This is me right now:
    REeQs.gif
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I see a lot of people here upset over the news, or at least faking being upset. but no one is acting the least bit surprised. That's kinda funny. It speaks to more people getting fed up with hollywood shitting on us, with stupid remakes, and movies based on toys, and old tv shows. I'm wondering when the hollywood machine will die out, and get replaced by something else. Hopefully soon
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12

I did but I couldnt understand that either. Although I did only read up to book 3.

There's no way it's going to be any good, especially with only 90mil, with inflation thats probably more like 50mil.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I hope its as good as dragon balll
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    I hope its as good as dragon balll

lmao..... :poly122:

I hope the movie makes around $40. Why would they butcher Akira.... WHY!?!??! At least the original can stay as it was.....
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    I'm wondering when the hollywood machine will die out, and get replaced by something else.

It'll happen just as soon as movies like the 2010 Karate Kid remake stop making $360 million worldwide. You and I may not like what Hollywood is putting out, but the rest of the planet is eating it up.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I hope its as good as dragon ball

Lmfao, that's exactly what I was thinking.
    Zac Efron or bust.

0_0'
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I want to see hollywood do ''the overfiend''. If they can make that american and PC ill die content.

Habboi: dont even type it. Bebop is sacred.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    They'll probably make a bunch of sequels due to the eventual popularity.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

thats both depressing and extremely funny at the same time..
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

And don't forget about the animated series, and 'free-to-play' MMO.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13

I fully agree. The movie starts off well but since the manga wasn't finished at the time the movie just gets weird when it tries to finish what's already been developed in the manga. I really hope the american team follows the manga and not the movie. The movie is good but the manga is amazing. Hell, Akira isn't even present in the movie.

I'm curious to why people are so upset over this news though? The original will remain the way it is, so will the manga. Are you worried that the title will be associated with this Hollywood movie instead?
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mostly because us fans of the japanese anime and manga would rather it be kept as close to the source as possible... I much rather watch a bunch of japanese people and subtitles then see something i love be massacred.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Goraaz wrote: »
    I fully agree. The movie starts off well but since the manga wasn't finished at the time the movie just gets weird when it tries to finish what's already been developed in the manga. I really hope the american team follows the manga and not the movie. The movie is good but the manga is amazing. Hell, Akira isn't even present in the movie.

I'm curious to why people are so upset over this news though? The original will remain the way it is, so will the manga. Are you worried that the title will be associated with this Hollywood movie instead?

We're upset because it will be a piece of trash. Setting in America and making everyone white isn't a small change.

The entire point of the story is riffing off of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and how Japan has dealt with these horrible things. Not only that, but Japan has actually has street punk biker gangs. America's gang culture is very very different. Of course you might want it to be like the manga, but then, what part does the American Empire play? A Japanese empire isn't believable at all. And changing the age of the characters to mid 20's? The juvenile nature of the protagonists is one of their biggest character points.

I'm upset because I don't want a great thing tarnished. I don't want to see Boys in the Hood performed on Broadway with blackface. I don't want to see a Fifth Element remake that takes out the sci-fi aspects. And I certainly don't want to see this piece of shit.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I can't be the only one who is looking forward to seeing a psychotic punk kid tear New New York in half then get shot in the face with a fucking laser cannon
    You guys are old and lame.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    The merchandising! Oh, dear god - the merchandising. We'll have to put up with the 're-imagining' of all that iconic imagery.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the remake of the anime was already bad enough with the new boring voices. I liked the NY accents in the first cartoon.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a lot to that manga than just tetsuo going crazy at the end :p

Steal all the good ideas and make some other crap a-la matrix~
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Hollywood has thoroughly murdered my childhood.... and they just don't seem to want to stop!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I suppose now's the time to gather all the Akira-related stuff you can. Once the Hollywood marketing machine kicks in, the new wider audience will want a slice of the original material and prices will rocket. It might even be too late already.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    We're upset because it will be a piece of trash. Setting in America and making everyone white isn't a small change.

The entire point of the story is riffing off of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and how Japan has dealt with these horrible things. Not only that, but Japan has actually has street punk biker gangs. America's gang culture is very very different. Of course you might want it to be like the manga, but then, what part does the American Empire play? A Japanese empire isn't believable at all. And changing the age of the characters to mid 20's? The juvenile nature of the protagonists is one of their biggest character points.

I'm upset because I don't want a great thing tarnished. I don't want to see Boys in the Hood performed on Broadway with blackface. I don't want to see a Fifth Element remake that takes out the sci-fi aspects. And I certainly don't want to see this piece of shit.

Those are all fair points and I agree with you. But it's not technically being tarnished, it's just another remake(or whatever you want to call this). I didn't like the new Karate kid because of various reasons, mostly because it didn't need a remake. This does however not make me mad at it as the original one is still available.
    I'm not really sure if Hollywood would be willing to have the movie set in Japan though, they always go too far in thinking that the audience would need to relate to all the characters by them being from the same nation(Let the right one in, Nikita and more), even if it's set in a future very unlike ours. They will probably replace the american empire with a russian empire or some other clich
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Robert Brockway had a pretty good write up over on Cracked last March about this.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Those are all fair points and I agree with you. But it's not technically being tarnished, it's just another remake(or whatever you want to call this). I didn't like the new Karate kid because of various reasons, mostly because it didn't need a remake. This does however not make me mad at it as the original one is still available.
    I'm not really sure if Hollywood would be willing to have the movie set in Japan though, they always go too far in thinking that the audience would need to relate to all the characters by them being from the same nation(Let the right one in, Nikita and more), even if it's set in a future very unlike ours. They will probably replace the american empire with a russian empire or some other clich
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    meanwhile for Akira Toriyama and Katsuhiro Otomo

scrooge_mcduck.jpg
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    xvampire wrote: »
    meanwhile for Akira Toriyama and Katsuhiro Otomo

scrooge_mcduck.jpg

Maybe this will teach em?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMyk7MXsseg&quot;]Peter Griffin's - Scrooge mcduck dive into money - YouTube[/ame]
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    That dragonball movie tarnished the original. The Avatar movie tarnished the TV show.

Do you really feel that way, that you don't like the originals as much because of those? I haven't seen either of those films so I find it pretty easy to ignore them.

I came here to ask pretty much the same thing Goraaz did. For me, they can make as many crappy remakes as they want and it doesn't really affect how much I enjoy the original. I guess it's just a difference of perspective.

So... I guess I am neither for or against this. They might as well give it a shot in the off chance it becomes decent in its own right, although unlikely.
  • LoJack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoJack polycounter lvl 12
    I was mad about this reading it this morning, very mad. As the day went on though I remembered how mad I was about the Dragon Ball remake, or the Avatar: Last Airbender remake, or the Chun Li movie, or the Dead or Alive and Tekken movies. Never wanted any of these movies to be made, but they were, and I never watched them or put any amount of money towards their profits and never will.
    I heard they were all steaming piles of primordial shit, not surprised, this movie will be too, and since I'm never going to watch it, my opinion will stay that way.

Some people say I'm running away, I call it effectively saving myself from an aneurysm.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Frump wrote: »
    Do you really feel that way, that you don't like the originals as much because of those? I haven't seen either of those films so I find it pretty easy to ignore them.

A Brand can be tarnished when a company releases shitty products or does shitty things. That's just marketing 101.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought this got the greenlight ages ago and then dropped.

Or am I thinking of Beebop.