Man looking at picture 9 on that page is really depressing. :(
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    wow. thats terrible.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    So, tranquilizers were clearly unavailable?
    This whole thing makes me sad. None of those animals deserved to die-
    Gah, I don't know.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah looks it It wasn't possible to keep the public safe and animals alive with that many.

Just makes me think of Lion king...
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that sucks, I agree hit them all with some strong tranq's move them to a near by zoo or something.
    that none of his deputies are equipped with tranquilizer guns - & - We had about an hour, hour and a half of light, and we just couldn't take the chance
    So then It makes sense, sounds like he didn't want to give that order.

But if they did get away and were in your back yard and didn't hear of this news, you'd be dinner.

Never the less terrible, why did he have them in the first place is the real question.
  • Sandro
    It's surprising and terrifying at the same time that people are allowed to keep dozens of wild animals as private entertainment :( And half of them seem to be endangered species.
    Hell, even ideas of zoos seem outdated to me. I can't think of single positive experience or entertainment value looking at caged animals provides.

Also this.
    So, tranquilizers were clearly unavailable?
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    You know some those good ole boy cops had a good time.
  • MadnessImport
    I wish i knew where those dam lions were so i wont get attacked

I live in Ohio around where this happen

Most of the animals were captured though
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The article seems pretty legit at explaining why they couldn't all be conveniently tranquilized. I don't really think it's fair to judge the guy making the decision as some sort of evil guy.

What does seem terrible is why the owner was able to own so many animals, and why he felt letting them run wild and killing himself was something he felt was right to do.
  • MadnessImport
    I think the guy purchased all those animals for the purpose of them wreaking havoc upon the general public and killing himself was a way to escape the consequences for Letting them loose and owning them all

Buy beasts > Set them free in a populated area > LOL From the grave

Since just about all of them were caught his troll was unsuccessful
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Because that's a plausible explanation.

It's a messed up situation, but you can't really fault the police's actions. If you've got a whole menagerie of potentially dangerous animals running loose through a populated area you're not going to have the option to tarry while you wait for tranquiliser munitions to turn up.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I was there a few times when we had to tranq a bit cat, and I can attest that it's bloody hard and very dangerous.

It's a terrible thing, but I can totally understand why the police did it on this occasion.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    shoot an already excited and confused tiger with a dart, it's not going to immediately flop down into snoozy-dreamy-sleep-time with a little smile on its face, it's going to go mental and run off. It's not in a controlled environment or the open plain, it's in amongst a bunch of houses, alleyways and general urban sprawl - so if you're lucky you'll find the spot where it's finally keeled over, if you're unlucky you have to go searching for the thing and hope to god it's fully asleep by the time you finally trip over it.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a veg, animal-friend and all that crap, but I can see why it had to be done even if it's tragic

I think they're better off now than they were in someones private zoo or a public zoo.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    $!nz wrote: »
    Wow that sucks, I agree hit them all with some strong tranq's move them to a near by zoo or something.

So then It makes sense, sounds like he didn't want to give that order.

But if they did get away and were in your back yard and didn't hear of this news, you'd be dinner.

Never the less terrible, why did he have them in the first place is the real question.

while its sad - believe it or not, some species are only still around because of zoos, in wildlife they already died out :/
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Neox wrote: »
    while its sad - believe it or not, some species are only still around because of zoos, in wildlife they already died out :/

Who do you think is mostly to blame for the latter? ;)

And I agree with eld on all sentiments. Out of curiosity, doesn't the US have laws against keeping dangerous exotic animals?
  • slipsius
    Seriously, the owner opened all the cages and let them out, then killed him. why the HELL did they have to shoot to kill? Why couldnt they just capture them? They started with shooting to kill. and from what i heard, the cops kept doing so, while the zoos that eventually came in started to try and capture them.

Yes, its difficult to capture, as previous posters have said. but why the fuck wouldnt you try first? shoot them with a tranq, follow them. dont shoot to kill until they feel they are going to hurt someone. seriously
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Because they are already in an urban area. It's already a position where they are very capable of hurting someone. You don't dick about with big cats.
  • slipsius
    ok. the article says they shot one cat with a dart, and it turned violent so they shot it. no one was hurt. and they gave the cat a chance. why couldnt they do that with all the others? dart it first, if it doesnt work, shoot it.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Slipsius: They had no tranquilizer on hand, and only about an hour until nightfall. It was either kill them or risk them getting away and killing people. The polices #1 priority is to protect people, so the decision had to be made.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It's terrible to know that 0.5% of all the Bengal Tigers in the WORLD died right there.
    slipsius wrote: »
    ok. the article says they shot one cat with a dart, and it turned violent so they shot it. no one was hurt. and they gave the cat a chance. why couldnt they do that with all the others? dart it first, if it doesnt work, shoot it.

Because tranquilizers are INCREDIBLY expensive, and on top of that, they didn't have many on hand. The animals that they did manage to capture are now safe.
    Ohio really needs to work on its laws concerning private zoos.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    PETA is SO gona use that last picture for something. A tshirts of Baloons maybe.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    how is it even possible to own lions and tigers.. it boggles the mind..
  • slipsius
    honestly, if they didnt have tranqs on hand, and it was dark, i can KIND OF understand why they did that. But i dunno, i think knowing there are that many animals in a private zoo, they should have been more prepared. all the animals were registered, so why wouldnt cops have tranqs on hand? especially knowing the owners criminal history
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    honestly, if they didnt have tranqs on hand, and it was dark, i can KIND OF understand why they did that. But i dunno, i think knowing there are that many animals in a private zoo, they should have been more prepared. all the animals were registered, so why wouldnt cops have tranqs on hand? especially knowing the owners criminal history

Didn't know about the owners criminal history, but if that was the case then they should've taken the animals from the owner already.

But yeah, lack of proper laws surrounding owning these animals sounds shitty to begin with.
  • slipsius
    "Thompson's property is about 2 miles outside Zanesville. The 62-year-old had been released from a federal prison September 30 after pleading guilty earlier this year to possessing illegal firearms, including five fully automatic firearms. A civil case seeking forfeiture of firearms was pending, according to the U.S. attorney's office in Ohio's Southern District.
    He also had been convicted of animal cruelty and animals at large in 2005 and was arrested several times for traffic violations"

Yup, just the type of guy they should let own those types of animals :S
  • Mark Dygert
    I don't know... everyone is for saving the fuzzy tigers... until they're chewing on your face then its a different story.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know... everyone is for saving the fuzzy tigers... until they're chewing on your face then its a different story.

a little pussy on the face never hurt anyone....
  • Mark Dygert
    Bwhahaha as long as its only "a little"...

As soon as it becomes a smother factor or is actually capable of swallowing you whole, the party is over.... =P
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!

REPLY #1: A few high profile news stories drop on Polycount and you guys take that slack and run with it.

REPLY #2: SCUMBAG EBAGG: Says news story is worth chatting about, doesn't chat about it.

I'm going to lock this one down tonight so get your thoughts out while you can.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Tranquilizers aren't as magical as they appear in the movies, it can take almost an hour for it to affect the animal, and they don't always work. Plus they are expensive and in this scenario we had dozens of very dangerous animals lose. I've even talked to someone who works at a zoom and tigers, if they ever escape, they have a list of animals that are suppose to be shot on site, its not worth it to risk the lives of innocent people.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    err....? Why is it getting locked down? I'm a scumbag Steve because I didn't respond for a day?

It's a tragic situation, looks like the police didn't have any better options when faced with the possibility of people getting killed by these animals. Captain Hindsight would say an individual should not be allowed to accumulate such a huge amount of exotic animals, it leads to situations like this one or like this other exotic animal disaster;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgS0KgT5APc"]Chimp Attack 911 Call - YouTube[/ame]
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't that the same woman who later got the face transplant?

Face-Transplant.jpg
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    Bwhahaha as long as its only "a little"...

As soon as it becomes a smother factor or is actually capable of swallowing you whole, the party is over.... =P

Oh I dont know...
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12

Tranquilizers are incredibly expensive. More than you can imagine. Also, they don't have various doses of tranquilizers. They have a fixed amount. In a crisis situation, there is no time to sort out the dosage for each animal. You give the same amount of a small animal as you would a big one. A dose that would kill a small animal would have next to no effect on the big.

It was almost night time, and with many of these animals being nocturnal hunters, it could have been very dangerous to wait until morning. It pains me to say this, but it was the right thing to do. A terrible, terrible situation that could have easily been avoided, but they did what they had to given the circumstances.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm also a bit confused over the impending lock, this has been the most friendly discussion ever on PC considering the topic :S
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    It would've been a lot better if one of his animals had killed the owner, then they were able to properly release all the animals back into their natural habitats. It really takes the ego of a crazy person to think you can OWN a large deadly animal, much less spend a lot of time around one.

I don't even care to go to zoos for this reason, why pay for a ticket to see animals either sleeping or pacing around wishing they could murder us and escape?