Home General Discussion

Blog portfolios just got sexy.

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11

Replies

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That flipcard one (the second one) is very similar to the idea I had for when I update my website.
    The main difference is that when you first go to the site you would see your resume. As you go down your resume, you could mouse over and click the gamebox art and it would expand into a gallery view similar to the video above.

I still have some tweaks to do to the flow of it all though.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Keep putting on that vid just for the music :D Wonder what the track name is.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Dunno.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3ef_idHu0"]Google Blogger - Dynamic Views Music - YouTube[/ame]
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Andreas wrote: »
    Keep putting on that vid just for the music :D Wonder what the track name is.

Really reminded me of One Must Fall...
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Applied. Thanks!
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love how the comments are more about the music rather than the actual feature :D
    This looks really nice tho, tho I dont think I have enough content yet to make this look really good, but hopefully ill get it down soon enough =3=
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone recommend a good training resource for getting to grips with blogger/blogspot? A free one would be good, and a youtube channel would be even better, but I'm not picky.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Really reminded me of One Must Fall...

oh my god. it does.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I tried the new design if you wanna click around and get an "idea". http://whalebranch.blogspot.se/
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Most of those are pretty awful, but especially the mosaic. It's just an incoherent mess of images.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Yea I kind of find this layout to be more flash over substance type of thing. It looks cool at first but its just a blast of information that isn't very organized at all and if I am not mistaken it seems I need to click on a thumbnail twice to see the actual size image.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mosaic is the best way to display a decent amount of art IMO. It looks really nice. It takes a micro-second to click on a thumbnail, and that way you have a self-contained section if you want to throw some text in there, or WIP shots. I know simply lashing image after image in a simple fashion on a page using HTML got popular, but sometimes a bit of style doesn't go amiss. It might look a mess in that video, because most of the images feature very similar colour schemes.
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
    whoa!!! mind-blowing
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Tried out Wahlgrens site, and I don't like it. It feels like there are a ton of things in a page, and there are too many embedded bits, but I just want to see something cool, and click on it for a bigger more awesome version.

What frustrated me:

middle click on image for new tab:
    gives me the small thumbnail by itself :(

click on image, click in popup on image again, shows large image by itself. Yay!
    I hit back and it loads up the main page, then loads up the popup, then puts me where I was, with the B symbol over the screen the entire time while I wait. I'm on some 20+ mb/s internet connection atm, so it must be Blogspot slowing me down. Boo! :(

good for people who have personal site needs, but not good for portfolios/art blogs methinks.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen that mosaic layout on other portfolios before, I find it annoying. I was on an artist's portfolio and there was a specific piece of his I knew about that I wanted to show someone, it took way too long to find it and I was cursing the clunky layout the whole time.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer pure HTML/CSS over script-driven interfaces that don't make the content easier to view nor access. The simpler, the better. The layout should focus on drawing the visitor's eye to the content, not distract them with fancy animations and pop-outs. The internet is full of pages that focus on overly elaborate interfaces that the author thought was more important than presentation that focuses on content.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I have done a bunch of testing with gridded layout portfolios and I think there is a sweet spot for both size of thumbnails and number of images on the screen at a time. Thumbnail grids that are 6 or 8 columns wide require a huge body of work (or else it looks like you barely have anything to show) and are also are overwhelming for users. Also, at that point the images are small thumbnails so the first layer of your website becomes a bunch of mostly meaningless blocks of color. Conversely, if you go to big (I did this on my old website) you can feel lost scrolling around and there is no way to quickly grasp how much work is on the site.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Not everyone knows HTML/CSS without spending a good part of their already packed day between work, family, gym and friends learning, so this is the next best solution, or you know, spend extra cash with alot of hoops to jump through to get a stable working webpage.

And honestly, is it so hard to click on an image, have it pop up, look at the next one? Unless you're saving images for reference, I don't see how anyone in HR is going to mind it, it's kinda like saying my friends didn't invite me to their birthday party because they sent me a message of Facebook instead of not sending me a message on my phone and I'm angsty about that.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *spammer twats*
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Overlord wrote: »
    I prefer pure HTML/CSS over script-driven interfaces that don't make the content easier to view nor access. The simpler, the better. The layout should focus on drawing the visitor's eye to the content, not distract them with fancy animations and pop-outs. The internet is full of pages that focus on overly elaborate interfaces that the author thought was more important than presentation that focuses on content.

Agreed but this can be used until one actually makes the website and its up and running.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Bot?
    Don't quote the bot :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, the bot started it! :P

Another thing IMO, is that even if some people don't like what blogger offers, it's still a country mile better looking than carbonmade portfolios. Those things are fugly!!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I don't particularly like the new dybnamic themes either, I'm so so on mosaic tho.
    Anyway, i'll let it be for awhile since I'm not really posting atm.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Mosaic is the best way to display a decent amount of art IMO. It looks really nice. It takes a micro-second to click on a thumbnail, and that way you have a self-contained section if you want to throw some text in there, or WIP shots.

I probably wouldn't give a portfolio organised like that much of a second glance. I can't find what I'm looking for if I'm looking for something specific, and the thumbnails are so numerous and chaotically organised that it's hard to really know what I'm looking at.

What I much prefer to see if a simple list or grid of thumbnails with a brief description or title, each of which takes me to a page / gallery filled with nice big images and plenty of descriptive text. No real fancy layouts required and it lets me find and look through the work uninhibited.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah normally portfolios will only have 5-8 pieces, or sections if the artist wants to split it up that way. That mosaic example uses around 25, which no one would do, for our purposes anyway. This coupled with smart thumbnailing mean people would have no trouble finding specific work.