Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Solaris Environment

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    something about the cables bother me. it looks like they're just randomly tossed there and the environment has no effect on them. it seems like there should be some self shadowing or AO caused by them being there.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I agree with you. I mentioned it a few posts up. I dont know why it isnt casting shadows. :-/
    Ill try and figure it out though.

Thanks for commenting!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I think the opening of that side panel should be further down. Its to close to the edge I think along with the cord.

To that, your cords dont make sence. You need to tell a better story. Why is it their? Whats its purpose? Give this room something more interesting then just a coridor. It doesnt even have to be specific objects either, but the lighting itself can set the mood and give it a feeling.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice progress Disting, really nice to see you take the crits you get here and apply them to the scene even though the scene looks finished for the most part. Great work and nice attitude! :)!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true wrote: »
    I think the opening of that side panel should be further down. Its to close to the edge I think along with the cord.

To that, your cords dont make sence. You need to tell a better story. Why is it their? Whats its purpose? Give this room something more interesting then just a coridor. It doesnt even have to be specific objects either, but the lighting itself can set the mood and give it a feeling.

I agree with you that the cords don't really make sense. My first idea was to put a portable generator of some sort nearby and have 2 cords run from it to the wall to make it look like it's opened for repairs, and I still think I'll go with that idea. Would that make sense?

Thanks chrisradsby! :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to call this done.
    I had so much fun with this scene, and I could've kept working on it for ages, but I felt that enough is enough, so I called it done.

I moved the wire, increased the contrast on the wall lights, decreased the contrast on the walls and made the walls a bit darker.

SolarisEnvironmentPresentation.jpg

What I learned from this project is that I should be careful about how I use contrasts. I tend to make contrasty stuff, which sometimes can lead to cool results, but sometimes it ends up being too much, as in this scene.
    I also learned a few tricks to speed up my workflow. The entire scene and bake was done in about 10 hours, and then with the use of nDo2 I added most of the details.

I really hope you like how this turned out!

And once again, thank you all SO much for the help throughout this project!

Cheers! :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work. Bit noisy at places, still seams on the pipes (unless it's intended) but definitely great work
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    This look great!! Only thing I would do is add a few more cuts to the wall modules to round them out a little more. I can see some of your poly edges in there a little bit. If you did that, I think this image would look straight out of a movie. Looks freakin' awesome!! Great job! :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Turned out awesome! Next!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it! :-)
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Great work dude, looks awesome!
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it, the blown out glow from the side lights makes it seem more film like. However I do get a Mass effect feeling from it, but I think that's down to the orange
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Disting. Looks much more interesting than the original photo :D
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys!

@lloyd: I actually checked out a video of some DLC Mass Effect 2 area, which looks a LOT like the solaris sets, so that might be why you get ME vibes from it. :) If you played ME2, that is. ^^
  • Jenn0_Bing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenn0_Bing polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, this turned out really nice, great work.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Your poly distribution is mental, it looks like you're using edge loops just for the sake of it. At least half of the edge loops on the curved wall panels aren't defining any form at all. Same with the flooring.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    It may be for vertex colors, and may as well be useful in case of displacement (tho it's not the case here I reckon).
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a lot of vertical edgeloops because I used a bend deformer. I definately wouldn't have had as many vertical loops if it was a straight corridor.

Thanks for the comment!
  • Devarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there's some sort of mist at the endish of the hallway then the glow looks nice, if not, I'd tone it a bit to be more subtle. I do agree with the general idea though. A lot of games are missing that aspect of foreground/background.