Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Character] - Captain America WIP

Ok, i had a thread regarding this model a long while back but that was as a different character and as you can see i've reworked it to be a female version of Captain America.

The style is inspired by the new film as i really like the WW2 suit and art style.

UPDATE:

cptamericanew4.jpg

I've made a few changes from the reference to give it a bit more variation.

Main chest reference:
The%2BChris%2BEvans%2BBlog%2B040211%2B001.jpg

Crits welcome :)

Replies

• ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i feel like she needs another accessorie. maybe something on one of her arms? just a suggestion.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well she's still a WIP. She's missing the harness, the gloves, the belt pouches the shield, the face mask, the straps on her arms etc but yeah i'll have a look at possibly putting a pouch or something with a small knife on her arm.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    I like what youve got going on so far, but right now the sleeves dont look separate from the arms
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Couple of things i'm picking up on
    - The boots are too thick at the moment.
    - Also the neck is too long.
    - I smooth out the backside as welll. It looks like she's clenching her ar*e cheeks.

You need to add something around the shoulder areas. They are looking a bit bare. Maybe some pouches or a combat knife. You could even have a small shoulder pad/etc.

Either way its shaping up. Keep at it my friend.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, got a new update:

I've added the harness and gloves. I've also shortened the neck a bit although it could do with being lowered a bit more. The boots are still bothering me so i might shorten them.
    Also moved the shoulders out a bit more.

Obviously she still needs belt pouches, a more fitting belt buckle and her headgear.

cptamericanew1.jpg
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The back of the legs from the thighs to the knees seem way to narrow. It doesn't look like it matches the front view of the legs.
  • Jenn0_Bing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenn0_Bing polycounter lvl 7
    I think the gloves need bigger cuffs and it would be cool to see you bring over the belt buckle design. It's a cool idea too.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update on this.
    Made the belt pouches and the new belt. Also swapped it to the other side as she'll be holding the gun in her right hand, shield in left.

cptamericanew2.jpg
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates! i can't seem to give this one a moments rest atm!

I've done a 2hour ish paint over of what i hope to achieve with the finished character. However with my texturing skills lacking in character creation, that reamins to be seen.

Anyways here's the paint over.
    I've narrowed the eyes a bit as they were just too suprised when i did the actual proper looking eyes.

Also, something i've now noticed after doing this, the hips don't line up with the rest of the body correctly, they're too low down. So i'll raise that up aswell.

Shortened the neck too, but i think now it's shorter, the base of the neck is too fat so i'll have to thin that up too to match.

captainamericapaintover.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I like the details and most of it, but there is something about it that feels off, but I can't really place my finger on it. You got some sweet stuff going on here though! I'm looking forward to more work!
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great idea reimagining the First Avenger! I would agree with the amendments you stated, but I would also look at the boots, they look kinda blobby and the legs proportion look off to me, a bit too Chun-Li like ^^
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    The paintover looks nice. A few things:

- Her legs are shaped very oddly. Here's something I put together for someone else before on PC: CS_legRef.jpg

Notice that the quad muscles are towards the outside of the legs. In yours it looks like it's one giant mass that is highest on the inside of the legs. There's a definite rhythm to the leg shape that your model is lacking. The knees look almost bowlegged and the lower legs look twisted. It almost looks like the left leg should be the right and vice versa. I dunno what the legs look like in side view in the recent versions, but the knees looked very wide if you were going for a more skin tight look. Upper leg seems longer than the lower. I'd make them more equal or even reverse it so that the lower leg is a little longer than the upper (common way to glamorize legs). * EDIT - nvm, maybe it's just an optical effect of the design! *

- The hands look pretty flat. I wonder if it's the way the thumb is coming off the hand. In a more relaxed hand, the thumb shouldn't come straight off the side, but rather between the side and the bottom.

- Wrinkles on the arms are a bit busy. The arms in general could be a bit longer (referencing the length with the crotch).

- Her head looks as if the cranium is massive. Her cheeks in the non-paintover images look like she's puckering her lips.

You've got some good details, but I think the model could use a pass on the proportions and larger shapes. I can see from your earlier shots that there are some big mistakes in your anatomy knowledge, and it's creeping in even with all the clothes and gear on, but I think with some tweaks the model could really turn out to be a good piece. :thumbup:
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i think i'm going to scrap those boots and completely re-do them, they look kinda crap anyway, no detail and maerial they're made of seems to switch between folded and stiff leather.

Thanks for the crits Haikai, i'll have a look at the proportions in more depth tonight. I hate to admit it but i havn't really looked much at the proportions recently so thats probably what's making this piece look off. I think what's also causing it to look wrong is the hips are too far down in relation to the groin/hands so i'll move that up aswell, it's making the upper body look to long.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mini update, i've luquified the paint over and adjusted the proportions, shoulders were way too broad, head resized, neck thinned, arms updated, hands bent down to give a more natural look, wasite ammended, hips moved up, legs thinned further down the thigh, lips squashing slightly. The shield is a complete mess but that's irelivent here.

cptamericarevised.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    it looks really good..it might be just me but her knees look a bit odd, mostly the shape of the leg its making, it looks like its bending in, maybe move the knee a bit?..her thigh seems long now after i stare it for really long lol
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damnit yeah i forgot to move the knee when i updated the paint over >< will do it later on when i have time, see how it looks, also need to amend the creases around the knee as they're not helping to lessen the twist of the lower leg.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    The Suit should look comfortable to be in, I think if you relax some of those folds, it'll look more agile. Also, The knees look super weird right now like they double?
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    i think her upper legs look too long, and she is sort of knock-kneed... it could be the boots, they are sort of sloping outward toward the bottom. i also think in your paintover the legs are too skinny, i liked how they looked before, minus the knock-kneed part. of course, some people's knees do go in like that, so i dunno maybe that's what you were going for. also, i liked the face better in the first paintover, the new one doesn't seem to fit the character as well.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, i've shortened the legs a bit now, but it could of been too much :S and i've revised the knees. They didn't need much movement but a little bit makes a big difference. So here's another revised pic:

captainamericapaintover.jpg
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update now, spent tonight working on the proportions and anatomy and a bit of the posture (easier to retop i supose) also updated the boots, didn't end up making new ones, just overhalled the old ones i think they're looking much better.

The whole model could do with a detail pass now for small thin wrinkles and creases and whatnot but i don't think it'll really need it tbh.

Messed around with the face alot today, i think this one looks ok now, although the paint over of the old one isn't bad.

Crap, just noticed after i've been moving the arms around, i've moved the middle of the creases on the elbow area upwards so they seem bent up :(

cptamericanew3.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    looks good, i think you need to reshape the boot a bit, it's too wide, here's some reference:

CLARKSVILLE+BOOT+front+copy.jpg

and some of the crease work isn't right, i think you need to look at more reference of the type of materials you're trying to simulate, they look unnatural in places
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    the legs look a lot better! i think you got it :) i'm still not sure about the face... maybe the chin and nose are a little too big?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I think one thing about viewing pictures on a forum is that if they are extremely long... it is hard to get a feel for proportions. I generally drag the picture onto the desktop and view it at a smaller size so I can look at everything all together.

Did a little paintover... hope that helps :)

Edit: you know I might have made the head a tad too large? But I do think it is small to begin with.

cptamericanew3.gif
  • IAmTheClayman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might just be me, but I think the issue with the legs is that the knees seem to be torqued inward as opposed to pointing straight out. Jeremiah is correct that the knee should be raised, but as the same time it should also be rotated outward away from the model's vertical center line.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

@ Mr_ace i've refined the boots, they now hug the leg all the way up and i've added more details to them i.e. seems and ridges along the raised areas.

@ Octokitty, the face atm looks different to how it's coming out in the render, the perspective seems to be throwing it off as it seems to be rendering it from below which is annoying. I think i might raise the cheeks a bit more and make it look more like some of the earlier faces i did as i liked them looking a little older.

@Jeremiah_Bigley I've amended the proportions a bit more, yeah your head is a little too large :P but i've increased it a bit more anyway, the shoulders i like how they look as they are, but i've lengthened the arm and sclaed up the hands a bit more. The legs are better now and the right leg doesn't look broken anymore.

@IamTheClayman i'll have a look at the knees tonight.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    the thing that is really throwing me off about it is the whole 6 pack abs built into the suit, she's a chick ... it just doesn't blend properly in my eyes and really throwing me off. Other then that i'm really liking it all :D
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah good point, i completely missed how wrong it is compared to the reference. The reference shows it as 2 top bits and then two longer bottom extrusions. Plus they're much flatter than my current suit so i'll update that soon.

Also, i haven't contiued the zip down the middle through the abs section either.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still missing the zip down the center, but the head gear is in now. Last few parts are just a new gun holster plus the M1911 pistol (Deagle was just a gun i made quite a while ago that i never finished) and some additions to the shield surface, i noticed it's got raised areas for the rings and the star. After that a tidy up i think and it should be ready for retopo.

cptamericanew4.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I feel like the arms are too short but maybe I'm not seeing this correctly. Without the boot lift she is 7 heads tall. Maybe her rib cage is a bit short, and typically hands come down past the hips a bit further? Sorry if I am totally off. Otherwise it looks great. :D
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    changed the forearm length, think that's looking better, they were a bit short. Althugh now i'm looking at it they seem a bit long :S either it's just me or theres a fine line.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    as long as she can reach her gun. =P
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Ideal proportions dictate that the wrists should be at the same level as the groin (approximately 3 1/2 heads in length).
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the main problem i can see now is the crease on the top of the gloves, so i really need to clean that up, or add some kind of cuff/fastener to provide a reason for the crease.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok last update before i get some sleep.

cptamericanew5.jpg

Arms by her side her wrists are pretty much level with her groin, there wasn't really much in it before anyway but i've scaled up the lower arm a bit more and stretched the elbow area slightly.

edit: no one say anything about the thumb! i just saw it now i must of caught it wrong when i was moving the hand around so it's flatter than it should be at least where it meets the hand, will be back to normal in the next update.