Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Petr Sokolov

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
pity polycounter lvl 8
Hello, everybody!
My name is Petr. I live in Moscow, Russia. I was study the traditional painting in Surikov's institute. After that, i began to learn 3D modeling for games. Now, it is the best creative work for me! :) I'm working as 3D artist in the small company Kraken games. I dont stop to learn and the polycount forum is very useful for me. Someday, i hope to make my own game based on medieval theme.
I am looking for critique and advise on my old works www.artpity.narod.ru
And here is the new one. 4951 tris, 2 texture sheets 2048 (too big - but for portfolio, i think it is ok) Render in UDK.
athlantfinal.jpg

athlantfinalgrid.jpg

texturepackc.jpg
See you)

Replies

• Erigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have very interesting portfolio , dude ! Keep on going and good luck !
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realy ! LOVELY angelic statue
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Privet Petya! The website menu is slightly annoying, but other than that nice and simple. The angel I would say is your best looking piece so far. The UVs could be packed better, but it looks cool. Your Medieval hut is labeled as Next Gen, yet its pretty 2005 looking (mainly because of extreme lowpoly that cripples your ability to tile UV's more modularly to save on texture size) . Your Post-apo building looks pretty cool. However, its not really next gen. Again the polycount is too low, the textures should be modular (but you probably know it now). Also the red barrel and the fence beside it looks really noisy, tone it down. Same thing goes for your Damaged House... Your Subway Tunnel looks good and nicely detailed. One crit would be - the composition; The repetitiveness into a curved nothingness gets very stale. Maybe make a subway train and place it there? The props and characters you made while working are much more solid, nicely done! Personally I would focus only on one field, either character or environment art, but I guess it depends on your workplace. Keep going!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    great texturing on the statue, altho, i think (2)2048's is a bit of over kill.
  • jordan.kocon
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow! Nice high poly work.
  • pity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pity polycounter lvl 8
    Erigo wrote: »
    You have very interesting portfolio , dude ! Keep on going and good luck !
    Thanks man! Nice to hear it from you. Maggot was my inspiration at PREDW5 :thumbup:
    Alex3d wrote: »
    Privet Petya!
    Hi, Sasha!) Thank you for your detailed reply! My site is bad) I know it) Maybe i will ask one of my friends to make it looks better. All houses was my first work experience. There are many mistakes. I will think about your advices. When i started to model in 2008 the next gen format was the shader that makes it possible to use the normal mapping and parallax mapping. Also, it is an intresting question about what is the next gen format now?) I think, it is not necessary to make modular textures to call it next gen. It is only the artist decision. But I really love the modular workflow now). It is very intresting for me to model characters and environments and i dont want to choose one of them. Maybe later)
    Once again, thank you)
    great texturing on the statue, altho, i think (2)2048's is a bit of over kill.
    Thanks, Alberto! In game it will be 1024 or even 512.

To All. Thank you!