Home General Discussion

Upgrading my crappy computer - polycount please help :)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
disanski polycounter lvl 14
Hello guys. About time I put some new parts in this computer. Will be getting new CPU, Motherboard and RAM. Going to keep the rest as I can't afford it atm.
I've read other threads about upgrades and trying to keep it simple but just wanted to make sure I am not doing something wrong.

Older parts that I am keeping are:
- power supply Fortron 400 W
- ATI HD4850 1 GB
- HD 500 gb seagate , 500 gb WD
New parts:
- CPU: Core i5-2400
- Motherboard: GA-P67-DS3-B3
- RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600 2 x 4GB

I know it is not top of the line but it should be tons faster compared to my old dual core.... and also it looks like if I need to I can grab i7 later on and if I decide to upgrade the CPU I can keep the MB.
My question is: that 400 W power supply should be enough to run those things right?
I should also mention that I dont care so much about gaming ( I do but I need this for work primarily ) and I am using Zbrush, PS and 3ds Max. Would love to be able to push more polys in Zbrush and actually why I decided to upgrade is the AO bakes :) so freaking slow just killing me :) Would be cool if I can actually afford to do any renders of my high poly models for my folio as well , because as of now it just takes forever :)

I am pretty much sold on the CPU but if you guys can suggest different, better MB that will be great.
Thanks Polycount

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not go for the i5 2500?

That PSU should be fine, if not, buy a new one. If it worked for your old PC, and you're not adding anything that sucks a massive amount of power, theres no reason why it wouldn't work for the new one.

As for motherboards, just get something cheap, reliable with good ratings and only the features you need. Too often the "expensive" motherboards are just loaded full of shit nobody ever needs, 3xSLI and all sorts of overclocking features, 7 PCI slots or whatever - just get something cheap and stable.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping you will stop by EQ :) Thanks.
    It looks like I should go for the i5 2500 not sure if I want to mess with any OC but the 2500k is very little more expensive. That being said if that means that I need to get better cooling I dont think I am interested.
    And yeah I hope PSU does the job :) not adding nothing else to it.
    Thanks again EQ.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I'll give you one caveat to think on. If that 400W PSU is running at peak or near peak output, it's going to reduce it's lifespan. You should calculate how much wattage each component uses, add it up, and add another 100W for buffer. The time you strain the PSU the most is at power-on time. All the components turn on at that moment. If it's taxing the PSU at full tilt, you're killing your PSU and reducing it's life. So, if 400W is just making due, I'd consider getting a new unit with more power. 400W is what I consider the minimum for a 3D artist/gamer PC. My personal recommendation would be 500-600 for what you have and 700-800 if you have more than two HDD and SLI/CF. That way, you'll get much better than one year of use from your power supply. I had my last PSU for 3 years and it only died due to a power surge.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks greevar.
    I was not sure about some of the numbers so I found that site - http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
    It does it for you- so for my new parts it came up with recommended PSU Wattage of 348 and minimum of 300 so I guess I don't have 100 more on top of that , but this is already 3 years old PSU so I think it should be fine, right?
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any particular reason you want an Intel chip instead of an AMD? When building my machine I found that I could get more power for the same price from an AMD chip than an Intel chip. I was budgeting just around $100 per component too, so it really was a budget build.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, no real reason not to go AMD, just everyone tells me to stick with Intel because it is more stable. I dont know too much about tech. Could be similar to how many people are not happy from ATI cards and dont recommend them for 3d work, but then I have one and never had single problem with it so far. Probably worth looking it up but I am really afraid to take shortcuts as I cant afford to start replacing more parts :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    I'll give you one caveat to think on. If that 400W PSU is running at peak or near peak output, it's going to reduce it's lifespan. You should calculate how much wattage each component uses, add it up, and add another 100W for buffer. The time you strain the PSU the most is at power-on time. All the components turn on at that moment. If it's taxing the PSU at full tilt, you're killing your PSU and reducing it's life. So, if 400W is just making due, I'd consider getting a new unit with more power. 400W is what I consider the minimum for a 3D artist/gamer PC. My personal recommendation would be 500-600 for what you have and 700-800 if you have more than two HDD and SLI/CF. That way, you'll get much better than one year of use from your power supply. I had my last PSU for 3 years and it only died due to a power surge.

Well, its an old PSU, so who cares? If it only lasts one more year, he can buy another if/when it dies. No use preemptively buying new stuff just because something "might" fail. Might as well buy a new video card, hard drive, etc too then.

If he was buying new I would agree, get a 500,550w or so, but its a used PSU that has suited him just fine in a very similar build. He's just swapping out CPU/Mobo/Ram here, remember.

Though a 550w 80+ PSU is cheap enough to just go and get a new one, it all depends on budget.

If he's going to replace anything from his re-use list, I would suggest a brand new HDD(or SDD) HDD failure can be a massive problem, PSU failure is only a minor inconvenience.
    Tigerfeet wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason you want an Intel chip instead of an AMD? When building my machine I found that I could get more power for the same price from an AMD chip than an Intel chip. I was budgeting just around $100 per component too, so it really was a budget build.

You get what you pay for, he wants a stable system for 3d work, Intel is definitely the way to go. If you're building an HTPC or cheapest-possible gaming setup AMD is fine, but for a workstation, stability is one of the most important factors.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is what I thought about the psu now that I have calculated it - if it breaks it breaks and then I get new one as it is old one nobody expects it to work forever. And I am not really on a budget, just trying not to spend extra money on computer as I dont know if I would not have to move soon to someplace else where I cant bring my computer with me.
    Also as I said games are not so important as of now- I need it just for 3d work.

Thanks for the help everybody. I am really lost with all of those numbers :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah besides, if you spend too much on your computer, you wont be able to afford any new lenses.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Your original questions have been well answered, so I'm just going to chip in to recommend trying to budget for an SSD. I went from an already fast RAID 0 setup with 2 75Gb 10000rpm drives to an SSD and the difference is really noticable. Everything is much snappier and more responsive.

Even if you can't afford a big one, a 64Gb one will be plenty to run the OS and any modelling apps from.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha :) ... I dont really have enough time for photographs right now.. unfortunately. As soon as i get my portfolio up and finish couple of side things I will get back to it. Btw I am waiting on a 24mm 2.8 canon lens :) and probably going to sell the 85mm as it makes taking pictures way too easy :) also I hope I am going to take new direction with my photography so I would not need it.

Edit: thanks CheeseONToast, I was thinking about it and just spoke with a friend who told me not to as he did not get all that much performance boost.... I've read that everybody is recommending them so there must be a reason for it. Besides faster start up time with what else would I benefit of having one of those? Would it help zbrush or max work better ?
    Thanks again.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should be getting a Sigma 24/1.8 EX today, selling the 24/2.8 and 35/1.8 and consolidating down to one lens, I'm pretty excited! Got it for $285 or about the cost of the Canon 24/2.8 =P

Oh, also feel free to send me your 85mm if you're so bored with it.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Well, its an old PSU, so who cares? If it only lasts one more year, he can buy another if/when it dies. No use preemptively buying new stuff just because something "might" fail. Might as well buy a new video card, hard drive, etc too then.

If he was buying new I would agree, get a 500,550w or so, but its a used PSU that has suited him just fine in a very similar build. He's just swapping out CPU/Mobo/Ram here, remember.

Though a 550w 80+ PSU is cheap enough to just go and get a new one, it all depends on budget.

If he's going to replace anything from his re-use list, I would suggest a brand new HDD(or SDD) HDD failure can be a massive problem, PSU failure is only a minor inconvenience.

You get what you pay for, he wants a stable system for 3d work, Intel is definitely the way to go. If you're building an HTPC or cheapest-possible gaming setup AMD is fine, but for a workstation, stability is one of the most important factors.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it irritating to have a PSU go out on me. It's usually good practice to upgrade your PSU when you upgrade the CPU/GPU. Besides, a decent 500-600W PSU isn't much more than $50-$60, so it's a worthwhile upgrade if it gets you 3-4 years of use. An old PSU at peak power could tank at any moment. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy one, keep it in the box, and when the old one goes kaput, pop the new one in.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A PSU going out has the potential to hurt components.

I would not risk it.

400w seems low for those components.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Even if you can't afford a big one, a 64Gb one will be plenty to run the OS and Skyrim and Battlefield 3 from.

What he really meant.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    RexM wrote: »
    A PSU going out has the potential to hurt components.

I would not risk it.

400w seems low for those components.

I'm with Rex on this, I think you need at least 750w imo (if that's to high, that's in case you decide to upgrade in the future)

Otherwise for the things you want to do, it seems pretty good. Gaming you may not do amazing, but you said you don't care too much for it :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol 750w, now you're just trolling
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i am pretty sure 400W wont be enough for your current setup with the new parts you mentioned above. i suggest ~600W.

also make sure your old power supply has all the proper power connectors for your new mobo such as the 8-pin CPU power without the need of a converter.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    next to an axe, a good home should have those: a spare PSU and a spare keyboard. This is your chance to get the spare PSU part covered ;)

500w works for me at home - core i7, radeon 6970, 2 HDDs
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gotta go at least 500 at least prolly over 25 amps on 12v rail
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's unreasonable to go to 700W. I'm running one right now with a Phenom 955 BE, Radeon 5770, 2 HDD, 5 120mm fans, 2 sticks of DDR3 RAM, and a DVD/CD-RW combo drive.

Now the 4850 can draw up to 250W at peak load and the i5 draws 120W at peak. That's 370 already and we haven't touched the other parts yet. So you're going to run the rest of it on 30W? You're going to kill that PSU and possibly the mb, GPU, and CPU. Even worse, no PSU is 100% efficient. Most are 80% efficient on average. So, take the peak wattage of the CPU, GPU, HDD, and RAM. Add them together, divide by 8 (gives 10% of wattage), multiply by 10 (gives 100% wattage), and that's your minimum wattage.

For example:

The 4850 is 250W peak, the i5 is 120W peak, DDR3 RAM is 6W, and most HDD are 30W each (let's say we have two, which is common).

250+120+6+30*2=436/8*10=~545W peak @ 80% efficiency.

So no, 400W won't do it.

I would recommend a 600W PSU with an 80 PLUS certification at minimum. This should cover all of your big power components and leave room for all your additional devices (DVD, PCI cards, etc.). You could go higher to account for capacitor degradation (which reduces efficiency and peak power output).
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the additional help everybody. In case this old PSU might damage something then I will get new one. I also understand that the SSD are great but I will probably hold off on it for a bit. Once I get my first check from something I made with this computer then i might get some more fancy parts :)
    Greevar thanks for the breakdown.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EarthQuake, thanks for taking the time to explain about stability. I wasn't aware there were stability differences between the two. When I built mine I wanted to get the most power for the least price and even then it took me a year to be able to afford all the parts. I haven't run into any issues yet with my AMD chip but I'll definitely be mindful of the possibility now. :)

disanski - I agree with everyone else that if you're not on a super tight budget it'd be prudent to get the best quality you can. :) Intel just tends to irk me a little because you get people (mostly gamers who don't push their processor anyway) insisting you pay $300 extra for .3Ghz more power. The cost to benefit ratio seems way out of whack to me.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    new PSU.. they're cheap .. and as high a wattage as you can afford.

the reason I say this is if you are keeping your GFX card it will likely last you a year or so and then you'll want to upgrade that too, and I think with current gen cards that PSU will melt..
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C'mon guys, do you really think the higher the better? Efficiency is much more important, also, run his system through one of those PSU calculators, you'll come out to about 300w. Do a little more research on actual power needed instead of just buying into 800w marketing hype.

Also, greevar, a 400w 80% efficient PSU means an actual power usage of 500w. A 500w 50% efficient PSU would be a net draw of 1000w. You don't only get 320w out of a 400w 80% PSU, the efficiency is a measurement of how much actual wattage it needs to get to the rated wattage. NOT how much wattage you're "losing" from the rated wattage. The fact that you don't understand this makes me seriously question the advice you give.
    The efficiency of a computer power supply is its output power divided by its input power. The remaining power is converted into heat. For instance, a 600-watt power supply with 60% efficiency running at full load would draw 1000 W from the mains and would therefore waste 400 W as heat. On the other hand a 600-watt power supply with 80% efficiency running at full load would draw 750 W from the mains and would therefore waste only 150 W as heat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

Again, for his old 400w psu, there isn't much reason not to buy a new one, but anything over 500w, 550w is just 100% nonsense and 450w would be perfectly acceptable. When it comes down to it, he should buy the quietest and most efficient 450-550w psu in his price range.
    For example:

The 4850 is 250W peak, the i5 is 120W peak, DDR3 RAM is 6W, and most HDD are 30W each (let's say we have two, which is common).

250+120+6+30*2=436/8*10=~545W peak @ 80% efficiency.

So no, 400W won't do it.

By this logic, unless his old CPU used negative 150w, his PSU would have never powered his old system. In all likelyhood he's probably been running that system for years on it. So again, nonsense. All he is changing is his mobo/cpu/ram, which would mean a minor difference in power requirements.

TL;DR: 750w for a mid-range PC = Trolololololololing. I know you guys need some justification for buying ridiculously over powered power supplies, but at-least do the research before advising others to do the same.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    eh a GTX580 running on a high load consumes 363 watts. you're probably right though..
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C'mon guys, do you really think the higher the better? Efficiency is much more important, also, run his system through one of those PSU calculators, you'll come out to about 300w. Do a little more research on actual power needed instead of just buying into 800w marketing hype.

Also, greevar, a 400w 80% efficient PSU means an actual power usage of 500w. A 500w 50% efficient PSU would be a net draw of 1000w. You don't only get 320w out of a 400w 80% PSU, the efficiency is a measurement of how much actual wattage it needs to get to the rated wattage. NOT how much wattage you're "losing" from the rated wattage. The fact that you don't understand this makes me seriously question the advice you give.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

Again, for his old 400w psu, there isn't much reason not to buy a new one, but anything over 500w, 550w is just 100% nonsense and 450w would be perfectly acceptable. When it comes down to it, he should buy the quietest and most efficient 450-550w psu in his price range.

TL;DR: 750w for a mid-range PC = Trolololololololing.

Ok, so I got efficiency backwards, so what? It doesn't mean the rest of my math is wrong and it still doesn't mean that 400W is enough. The GPU+CPU+RAM+HDD still comes out to 436W, which is what the system tries to pull from the PSU at power on and under high demand. That doesn't even account for fans/control, DVD, USB devices, PCI cards, and capacitor degradation. 400W just isn't enough. 500W would be more reasonable, but 600W would be the best choice to ensure that it lasts longer than a year and has room for future upgrades to the GPU and storage. That 400W running what he wants to upgrade to will kill it and possibly blow caps on his motherboard when it fails or worse.

Edit: Okay, I just looked over the link you posted and it reinforces my point. Running the PSU at full load will lower efficiency and increase waste heat. This is what will happen on the 400W. Not good. Running it at half to three-quarter load will yield the best efficiency. So, given that you need 436W to run the system at peak, 600W would be ideal because it runs just under 75% load at peak providing the best efficiency under most usage.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The simple fact that his old computer, which is only marginally different that his new one will be, RAN on a 400W PSU means your math is wrong as 400w was enough. Its a really simply concept.

Lol, so all my math was wrong and my suggestions are completely inaccurate, so what?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously run his system through a PSU calculator, you'll get about 320w at 90% load, so 450 is giving over 100w of breathing room, 550 over 200w, 600 is nearly double what he actually needs.

You can't simply look at max output for each component and assume this will be the norm or even *ever* happen. Especially because he specifically stated he's not buying the system for gaming, which is about the only task that will max his CPU and GPU at the same time. Offline rendering with max his CPU, but not GPU. 3d modeling will max his GPU in spurts, and his CPU in spurts, but rarely if ever at the same time or for extended periods.
    That 400W running what he wants to upgrade to will kill it and possibly blow caps on his motherboard when it fails or worse.

You're still not getting the basic concept, his new system will have what, a cpu that maybe takes about 30w extra? Possibly even the same wattage? Its hard to say without knowing his old cpu, but its very unlikely that his old cpu only used 20w of power. The fact that his PSU hasn't blown and killed his computer and his dog and the rest of his family, means your concerns are exaggerated. 450w will easily cover any increase in wattage from his CPU.

In addition to that, how many of you guys have EVER had a PSU burn out and fry other components? I've had MANY die and never had damage to other components.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    eh a GTX580 running on a high load consumes 363 watts. you're probably right though..

Right there are certainly situations where you need more, i'm talking specifically about the computer the OP is building and what he wants to use it for. If you've got SLI GTX580's, you will want a beefy PSU. But thats neither here nor there.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Okay, I just looked over the link you posted and it reinforces my point. Running the PSU at full load will lower efficiency and increase waste heat. This is what will happen on the 400W. Not good. Running it at half to three-quarter load will yield the best efficiency. So, given that you need 436W to run the system at peak, 600W would be ideal because it runs just under 75% load at peak providing the best efficiency under most usage.

The problem here is that your 436w number is simply physically impossible, if that were true, his old system never would have booted let alone run for *years*. Anyway, like i said, 450-550w.

If we assume about 320w, which is more reasonable, that's about 70% usage on a 450w PSU and gives the same benefits. Even at 350w, thats ~80%, or 72% on a 500w PSU. If you're really anal or actually planing to add something else significant to the system, go 550w. Anything beyond that is just silly.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously run his system through a PSU calculator, you'll get about 320w at 90% load, so 450 is giving over 100w of breathing room, 550 over 200w, 600 is nearly double what he actually needs.

You can't simply look at max output for each component and assume this will be the norm or even *ever* happen. Especially because he specifically stated he's not buying the system for gaming, which is about the only task that will max his CPU and GPU at the same time. Offline rendering with max his CPU, but not GPU. 3d modeling will max his GPU in spurts, and his CPU in spurts, but rarely if ever at the same time or for extended periods.

You're still not getting the basic concept, his new system will have what, a cpu that maybe takes about 30w extra? Possibly even the same wattage? Its hard to say without knowing his old cpu, but its very unlikely that his old cpu only used 20w of power. The fact that his PSU hasn't blown and killed his computer and his dog and the rest of his family, means your concerns are exaggerated. 450w will easily cover any increase in wattage from his CPU.

In addition to that, how many of you guys have EVER had a PSU burn out and fry other components? I've had MANY die and never had damage to other components.

The problem here is that your 436w number is simply physically impossible, if that were true, his old system never would have booted let alone run for *years*. Anyway, like i said, 450-550w.

If we assume about 320w, which is more reasonable, that's about 70% usage on a 450w PSU and gives the same benefits.

First off, my math was not completely wrong, just the part on efficiency. And you accuse me of exaggerating. The machine will draw 436W at peak demand. It might not be the norm, but why chance it? It's best to prepare for the worst than to just cut corners. You're taking my point about peak power and applying it as if it's the norm. That's a complete exaggeration.

What's the big deal anyway? A 500-600W PSU of decent quality won't cost much more than $70 (likely less than that) if you're a smart shopper. That's about the same as a collector's edition of a popular game, so it's affordable. It's not like the cost a GPU or CPU. It's a cheap and easy precaution to take. Why avoid it? He's upgrading anyway, so it's only a slight extra cost and he'll need one soon eventually.

The change will not be an instantaneous reaction, that would take a huge difference of at least 200W or more. What will happen is the extra strain will degrade the PSU even faster due to the increased heat. If that PSU pops from overheating, it could take other components with it from a surge. 600W is perfect. It will put him in the 50% to 75% load sweet spot and give him maximum efficiency even at peak demand. He won't have to worry about a PSU again for at least 3 years this way.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is you are never able to admit that you are wrong, or at the very minimum that someone else may be right or have a valid point. Even when your claims have been thoroughly debunked. You just come back and try to make a different argument to save face. Lets call it "Greevar is always right syndrome".

Again, you wont even respond to my point about actual realistic usage, but keep pointing to some theoretical numbers that will never happen.

Sure a 700w PSU isn't very expensive either, its just the misinformation and myths that are perpetuated about this stuff that bothers me.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthquake is right. Plus power supplys have many different ratings. You can have a 700 watt psu that has crappy rails and will work terrible next to a 500 watt that has high rails. Same thing with efficiency. Its hard to go off deciding based strictly on wattage.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I have a question ::raises hand in girly fashion::.....
    When new technology is designed and ultimately released, is it safe to say that these companies target their product to meet a certain target in power consumption and find ways to produce a viable product that will increase performance but also not debilitate the consumer by forcing them to buy a new PSU in order to fall in line with the technological advancement?
    ..... i'm just asking..... I mean if I was a company that designed GPUs, I would be afraid of my product not getting a solid return if it required a nuclear generator to run it.

on the flipside, if you got the coin to throw down on your electric bill for a PSU that will run a porsche, then stop being greedy and give some of that shit to unicef.

and unless you plan on doing some noise like this http://www.polycount.com/2010/08/12/v-ray-rt-at-siggraph/ then i wouldn't even bother with crazy psus and gpu configs.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks again for the extra info guys. I am going to get a new psu as I said and I am not sure what will I get yet. Thanks for all the explaining and reasoning.

I have read almost every one of the threads about new computers over the past year and this is what got me familiar with what I would need. About the psu I am still not sure. I am not going to be replacing the parts myself as just next door to my house there is a shop that will do it for me if i get the parts from them and it will be almost free and done for about an hour + I get 2 years warranty from them. Even if I would love to learn how to do it myself I am having a lot of troubles when I have to deal with tech stuff :) Last time my external HD stooped working I wanted to try to place it inside the PC to see if that will get it going----Well everything in there is so tight and I was so afraid not to push something just a little more than I need to that I was freaking out :) So just to make it easy on myself I will bring it to the shop and use the warranty and 1 hour or so installation service :)

So I was thinking to just ask them for PCU as well. They will defintely get me something that will be enough and I will definitely ask for quite one as I guess that might be the most noisy part of my computer right now.

Also I dont really care about 20-50 bucks but I just try to be smart buyer and this is not just about PC parts but about anything I ever get besides food :)
    Same goes for cameras lets say my camera was 6-7 years old but still way better for what I need it than something that would cost two times more.. any way dont want to derail again.

The older CPU was intel core 2 duo e7400/2.8g and it was running on 85 W the new one is 95W. Honestly besides the AO bake and some minor lag in zbrush when I hit more than 8 mil polys and have more than 3 layers, I am really fine with this current computer. Always wondered how much faster would top of the line computer be :) After I get those new parts I doubt I will be upgrading to anything new in the next 2 years or so.

Any way the discussion here was really helpful as were all the rest of the talks about computers on polycount. I hope I can order the parts next week.

Thanks again everybody :)
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Regardless of how much power your components need, never cut corners when it comes to PSU's. If those things go bust you can say bye2 to everything inside. I'm running on a Cooler Master M700, certainly not top of the line stuff but this thing has been serving me well since my 8800gt days.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is you are never able to admit that you are wrong, or at the very minimum that someone else may be right or have a valid point. Even when your claims have been thoroughly debunked. You just come back and try to make a different argument to save face. Lets call it "Greevar is always right syndrome".

Again, you wont even respond to my point about actual realistic usage, but keep pointing to some theoretical numbers that will never happen.

Sure a 700w PSU isn't very expensive either, its just the misinformation and myths that are perpetuated about this stuff that bothers me.

He will probably get by with 400W, but he won't be able to push the hardware to its full potential (peak demand says he needs 436W and it's not impossible to hit that ceiling), but why bother upgrading if you're not going to use the hardware to it's full benefit anyway? He's not a gamer, so he ought to be fine with what he has.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've probably built around 1,000 PCs, I agree with EQ.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He will probably get by with 400W, but he won't be able to push the hardware to its full potential (peak demand says he needs 436W and it's not impossible to hit that ceiling), but why bother upgrading if you're not going to use the hardware to it's full benefit anyway? He's not a gamer, so he ought to be fine with what he has.

Yeah because why would anyone bother buying a computer if you're not going to use at at 100% full load all the time? Nice strawman though.

Got a bad case of the G.I.A.R.S
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah because why would anyone bother buying a computer if you're not going to use at at 100% full load all the time? Nice strawman though.

Got a bad case of the G.I.A.R.S

That's not what I said. Running at peak 100% of the time and having access to it are completely different. I was talking about have access to the upper limit of performance. 400W doesn't allow that. You can max out the GPU or the CPU at any given time, but you can't do both. You'll bottleneck the system and overheat the PSU. Talk about a strawman.

There's a reason you often think I'm 100% wrong, you take my comments to hyperbolic levels and argue against that. You're suffering from "Greevar Is Always Wrong Syndrome" and you're trolling now.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    That's not what I said. Running at peak 100% of the time and having access to it are completely different. I was talking about have access to the upper limit of performance. 400W doesn't allow that. You can max out the GPU or the CPU at any given time, but you can't do both. You'll bottleneck the system and overheat the PSU. Talk about a strawman.

There's a reason you often think I'm 100% wrong, you take my comments to hyperbolic levels and argue against that. You're suffering from "Greevar Is Always Wrong Syndrome" and you're trolling now.

This would be the case if the PSU was actually running at peak levels, but most have quite a bit of wiggle room. A shitty brand cheap PSU's actual peak maybe close to it's rated Wattage and worse than that have bad ripples on the rails which screws stuff up. On the other hand you have a PSU from a reputable brand or series and they go far beyond their rated voltage eg: I have a 750watt corsair PSU that was tested and went beyond 1000watts without any issues.

The OP has a fortron PSU which while not flashy are well built and conservatively rated, and would have no issues running his projected new system on it.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to update this thread. Last week I got my new parts in :

core i5 2500
    GA-P67-DS3-B3
    2x4 GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    and I also got new PSU as suggested above Cooler Master 500 W

Everything is a lot quicker now. I should have done it long time ago but I was feeling ok with my old rig. Now I see the difference.

I don't have to split my model into parts in zbrush- tested it with older model and went up to 20 mil polys per subtool and could probably go higher too but if my latest subdivision is at 10 mil polys it is clear that it is not going to jump to 40 mil polys :) but I tested it any way.

In max everything is a lot more responsive even if I was not expecting to see big improvement there as I am keeping my old video card and I was thinking this is what matters for performance in 3ds max viewport but I see huge improvement there too. AO baking seems possible now :) and it is moving rather quickly.

In future I might change that antic video card as well and get a SSD.
    Thanks again for the help guys :)
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski wrote: »
    I forgot to update this thread. Last week I got my new parts in :

core i5 2500
    GA-P67-DS3-B3
    2x4 GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    and I also got new PSU as suggested above Cooler Master 500 W

Everything is a lot quicker now. I should have done it long time ago but I was feeling ok with my old rig. Now I see the difference.

I don't have to split my model into parts in zbrush- tested it with older model and went up to 20 mil polys per subtool and could probably go higher too but if my latest subdivision is at 10 mil polys it is clear that it is not going to jump to 40 mil polys :) but I tested it any way.

In max everything is a lot more responsive even if I was not expecting to see big improvement there as I am keeping my old video card and I was thinking this is what matters for performance in 3ds max viewport but I see huge improvement there too. AO baking seems possible now :) and it is moving rather quickly.

In future I might change that antic video card as well and get a SSD.
    Thanks again for the help guys :)

Good for you, I hope you enjoy it. When you're looking into GPU's, look for a Radeon 6870 or a GTX 560. Anything less will be too little gain for your money. Good luck!