Home Featured Artwork

An exercise in modular textures - Scifi lab UDK

Replies

• Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Oniram: yes, exactly :) Or you can use the DerivenormalZ aswell, but that costs a few more instructions, for mudular things like this, where it doesnt have to crrect for any smoothing appending a value of 1 works fine :] I am adding colors through some multiplies etc in the shader, right now its pretty simple, one color for the bare metal, one color for the shinier metal, and one color for the midrange of the decals :] That part of the shader is still in progress though, but I will post breakdowns of that aswell as its cleaned up and finalised :]
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    i have o idea what are you doing here but it sounds smart and your never failed

btw
    i really love your drone, i search for a thread of it but didnt find, is there one somewhere? who made the concept?
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I wondered how you were getting such large areas like on the floor panels out of this texture, and then saw the uvs for some of the pieces, but then wondered why there was no butterflying with the diffuse texture, but this is really cool separating these elements.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf: thanks man ^^ oh yeah, i just randomly started building that, so its in the middle of my scifislum-thread :D The concept was a lunchbreak doodle I made :]
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84867&page=9
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    Snefer wrote: »
    Oniram: yes, exactly :) Or you can use the DerivenormalZ aswell, but that costs a few more instructions, for mudular things like this, where it doesnt have to crrect for any smoothing appending a value of 1 works fine :] I am adding colors through some multiplies etc in the shader, right now its pretty simple, one color for the bare metal, one color for the shinier metal, and one color for the midrange of the decals :] That part of the shader is still in progress though, but I will post breakdowns of that aswell as its cleaned up and finalised :]

ok cool. ive got more questions for you. sorry lol but this is just such an interesting method. as for the generic metal on the lightmap UVs, does that just get multiplied by your AO for each object? and for the decals. are those rendered on planes that are ontop of the meshes? or are they using a different UV set for the meshes themselves?
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe, the metal is just multiplied with the AO-layer in the shader yeah. The decals are using a lerp with the alfa, and uses their own UVset :)
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ridiculously inspiring.
    Are you just modeling to the uvs? Would interesting to see a break down of your process for that if you have time. Or just some of the wires from the statics.

So cool.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    awesome thanks. thats some crazy cool stuff dude. i may give some of those methods a shot with an environment im working on now. :D
  • MalloryW
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
    Snefer, you're a beast.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    Lonewolf: thanks man ^^ oh yeah, i just randomly started building that, so its in the middle of my scifislum-thread :D The concept was a lunchbreak doodle I made :]
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84867&page=9

u should have lunchbreaks in the mornings and nights too

O_O
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisPerr: Well, more or less. I make a lowpoly, then I unwrap it until it looks good ^^ I will show the workflow later :]

Some views of the enviro right now, added some lamps, some signs,cotrolpanels for the doors, etc. Crappy light rebake, so some artefacts :]

tile8.jpg
    tile9.jpg
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    I like where this is going... Nice lesson! Straight to top banner! ;)
  • Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    man you're just so much awesomeness put togheter *__*

that's so optimized it could run on a nokia 3310 and it looks cool too! when i frist saw this i thought "as good as he is this can't really be happening" but...

guess an other thread to end up in the inspiration folder! :D
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    yea youre a fookin twat! :D really nice scene, even if it wasnt optimised so much! really great great job buddy! and i am going to echo waht i said earlier!

OFFICIAL POLYCOUNT COMPETITION with specs like this scene!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    EDIT: nvm just relised my idea was broken.
  • pen
    Your lighting in the scenes you do is always great. Nice work once again.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments :] Not quite sure where to go with this scene now. Some lab-equipment and stuff I guess, aswell as a proper backdrop area. Hmm, any suggestions?
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    since it's a research facility you could maybe put a gurney or two in the hallways, or just some tray tables for test tubes and whatnot :), something to just kinda fill it in but still sticking to the shiny pretty metal look, this environment is top notch man congrats
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I usually lurk about (I really want to change that) but I had to sign in to say this is outstanding. I've been trying to better understand utilizing UVs with a tiling texture beyond the basics, and I think this thread will provide just that. Snefer, your work speaks volumes to your skills. I feel that merely following your progression in this thread could do wonders for anyone like myself to gain a solid hold on the technique. Thank you, and I look forward to seeing more! ;)
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You could probably do some cool stuff with the texture you got there, I dunno, cannisters? Turrents? Smaller robots? Great work so far!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Snefer, that is some crafty ass work.

How do you plan out what to model for the base texture so you can utilize it in this varied fashion? It all looks like it has unique texturing! How do you get it to shade so smoothly and seamlessly when your normals aren't high poly sourced?

If you want it to look more unique and varied, I would maybe look into using some more expensive blend shaders with mesh paint and just go to town with grunging it up. 3D Motive's Advanced Mesh Paint course will bring you up to speed in case you don't know what I mean. Your already halfway there with your multiple uv sets, why not put those verts to work with vertex color? You could eliminate pretty much all the seams with this method as well as any apparent tiling.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    I am probably gonna add some wierd casket/gurney-thingys in the room, and some random medical junk, I suppose :]

Computron: I dont really plan out actually, I build what I want to build in terms of shapes, then i force myself to UVmap it until it looks good ^^ And the smoothing is pretty easy, just bevel the edges for the round things, nothing more to it than that :] And i dont really want to grunge it up actually, even though Im up to speed when it comes to vertex painting :] But I have planned to try some other things with the vertex painting though :]
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice. Good to see it's like how I'm doing mine atm.. phew! :)

Snefer if you haven't already, this is something i'm planning for mine... is to make the grunge a tiling texture, and all the objects using it, it's just based off world position for verts as the texture coordinates. This allows for things to look more different and if the diffuse itself is kept fairly simple so the texture can be used in lots of different ways, while still having details.

Obviously vertex colours can be used too to create variation of tones and even colours like the feature walls etc.

Really liking it, keep going mooooar! :)
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    That would have worked if the texture was bigger, but now I have to have it tiling ALOT to get a proper texel density, and so i cant really use it that way :] Would have worked with a larger texture though :] Yeah, i get colors from the shader instead, but there are a few tricks that Im going to try with the vertex painting. Need to get a better grip of what im doing with the scene first though :D
  • Oranghe
    This is really good stuff and i will definitely be trying this out in the near future! :D
  • AyalaN3D
    Awesome work like always! Really good job. The reflections play a big role in the scene im liking the setup and love how the light enters the room. I have a question though, how did you setup your shader for the glass material. It looks clean and solid!

If you can give an example of how to go about glass materials in general would be real helpful. Thanks! and continue working hard.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    You'r an animal! It's really great to see this! Would be awesome with a little workflow explanation in the future! :) Keep it up!
  • Limewax
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    As far as the models, in order to get these UVs to lay out properly, I assume that you add more subdivisions to the models that you made? In essence adding more loops than you need, but creating more faces which makes it easier to UV and layout.... is this a correct assumption?

TLDR: it would be cool to see the wires on some of these models.

Thank you :)
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    That lighting is fucking sick! Thanks for posting up your workflow. That's a great idea to use the blue channel for a mask and just reset the value to one in the shader.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    AyalaN3D: Just a green color with a cubemap on it, nothing more :] Very very basic.

Limewax: yes, essentially. But its not really more loops than I need, I add very few extra polygons, most of the props are at a few hundred tris. Ill post some wireframes and show how I unwrap soon, just gotta get the time for it :]

Added some funnylooking lamps, eh, the emissive is to weak on them right now, will have to crank that up a bit :] Also started working on the caskets/medical bed whatever scifi-thingys for the room :D
    tile10.jpg

tile11.jpg
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    freaking dope and still olny on 1 small texture?
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Very interesting exercice and really nice execution.
    As you said you should have used a bigger texture, but even with this small one, the result is damn good!
  • Limewax
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know if the new "lamp" things you added are immediately reading as lamps. I know you're brainstorming what kind of stuff you can add to the scene to make it more believable, but right now I feel like those lamps are working against you. This is mainly because it would be redundant to have that many light sources in an area, but overall their design isnt as strong as all of the other objects.

I must say though... I am digging the accent color wall. Brilliant idea there.

Just some constructive criticism :)
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    I am probably gonna add some wierd casket/gurney-thingys in the room, and some random medical junk, I suppose :]

Great! :) Excited to see, your work is always such good inspiration
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    didn't even expect to see it broken down into RGB channels - very nice.
  • rasmus
    Cool, nice to see you do something nice and clean ;) Love the hyper-minimal texture usage, a little goes a long way. A positive side-effect of lazyness too I suppose :) Go slemhosta!
  • hamzaaa
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    Hey snefer,

this is really awesome work you got there! As I am new to this whole modular thing (actually never did a modular environment myself) could you show me, hrrm show us, your texture sheet and some examples how you mapped the models on it? And maybe also some model wires?
    Great stuff, keep rocking! :)
    *subscribed*
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa wrote: »
    Hey snefer,

this is really awesome work you got there! As I am new to this whole modular thing (actually never did a modular environment myself) could you show me, hrrm show us, your texture sheet and some examples how you mapped the models on it? And maybe also some model wires?
    Great stuff, keep rocking! :)
    *subscribed*

check out page 2 he explains a lot there and give a little breakdown on the texture usage.
  • hamzaaa
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    yes, yes I read all the pages. But I would be interested in the stated above more in debth. ^^
    would be cool if he could show his texturesheet with overlayed UVs of several models to see how he actually UVed them to it.
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    wireframe please
  • ikken
    A+++ work, simply stunning
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    i have a question. Whats the texture density look like for this scene? Do you try to make it fairly equal? Cause you said you just move UVs around until it looks good so i'm curious if that means higher or lower texture density and also are you using controlled UV stretching?
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaa: showing an overlay would make NO sense unfortunately, since it just looks like a mess ^^ an explanation of the workflow is probably much better :]

Coots: nope :) there is INSANE amount of stretching, which is one of the ways this works. Im a bit too tired to post how I do it right now, but ill post an more indepth explanation of the process tomorrow :]

Rick_D: will post some wireframes along with the breakdown, even though they are pretty boring ^^

Have done a bunch of new props, but UDK crashed and im too lazy to rebuild lights, so here is another prop. Still the same texture, etc. Will post a breakdown tomorrow ^^

tile12.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Looks sweet, hoping to see that breakdown tomorrow, would be really interesting :)
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Very awesome R&D.. i'm still baffled you were able to do this with a 256x512.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Sick thread, homie. I love when people get all technical artsy.
  • Limewax
    Offline / Send Message
    I am quite curious as how to layout the UVs with regards to the UV channel editor smooshing things down to fit within the +1/+1 grid. I am attempting this style at the moment, and using a 1024x512 texture, its smooshing down to 512x512 automatically....

I am using Maya 2012, thoughts? I am digging through options right now

EDIT:
    I think I figured it out.... inside "image" on the UV texture editor, I checked the box "use image ratio" then build on the 1k x 512 by that. When I imported to UDK and tested it out, worked like a charm :D Wondering if this is the right method
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    tile12.jpg
    oh yeah! realy like creative use of texture...
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Soo, here is a small breakdown of how I make a prop ^^ Hmm, makes sense now? ^^

microscope.jpg
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some quick backdropbuildings aswell as some more props indoors. Added two new rooms aswell, hmm :]

and oh yeah, still the same 256*512 texture for everything. (except the sky, boooooh!)
    tile13.jpg
    tile14.jpg