Home Technical Talk

Tiling in Mudbox?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Has anybody ever done it? I'm sure theres a few of you. Anyway, I've go my flat plane, sub-d inside Mudbox, but haven't a clue what to do so that when I paint over one edge, it comes over on the other. The help files said to make a tile plane from the UI, but that option wasn't there oddly like it said it should be...?

Any advice? :s

Replies

• fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    tiling planes just got introduced in mudbox 2012 advantage pack last month(subscription only). it's under create->tiling plane.
    for older version there is just the old school way of baking out displacements and offseting in photoshop.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    If it´s just for painting tileable textures you can use this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/tilequad.obj

If it´s for sculpting you have to do it like fade said or get the advantage pack.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making a set of quads that tile (like 9 faces, each having the save uv tile) stopped working some time after Mud 2009. You can't do it anymore, mudbox recognizes the trick as a mesh with malformed UVs that it cannot reliably work on.

If I'm doing something wrong, that's possible here is my workflow:

1: make plane in modeling app with normal uv or whatever
    2: clone it around itself to make nine all the same (I've seen people use only 4, but that's bad and causes too much extra hassle imo, better to use nine and treat the center as your target, rather than tend around open sides)
    3: import the resulting OBJ to mud
    4: be told the mesh is incorrect, that the UVs are malformed and unusable.

It worked fine in older versions, I learned it through Wayne Robson's stuff, now it seems the only way is to have SAP, and it doesn't work to manually make it yourself. There is probably a good explanation as to what the devs did that stopped this trick from working, but I don't know what it might be.

The SAP stuff is better, it can sculpt and tex in tiling, not just tex like the tiled plane method, which is valuable as all hell.

Doing a photoshop offset is very limiting and not even worth it to master the technique when you can only do so little with it. If someone is good enough at working on disp maps to not make a mess of 90% of surfaces they try it on, more power to them, but for the most part, it's not efficient, you'll just end up with a smeared displacement map full of tonal errors that may or may not be noticed in the end - not a gamble that is worth the time when looking at how much you'd need to use the technique on anything that tiles.

It's been better to literally offset geometry and then tend to its seams, but it's a hassle and I for one lose drive quickly doing that when I know there are easy ways that I just do not have access to.

If anyone has tips post-2009 versions that still works, I'm all ears, though. Would mean a lot to have a new technique for this.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try importing my obj , 2012 is not arguing about it and you can paint in a tiling fashion without hassle.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    http://saschahenrichs.blogspot.com/2009/11/here-another-tutorial-concerning.html

this is the trick with displacements i'm talking about. i did lot's of normal maps for our latest 3ds game and even if it's a joke compared to the cool zBrush feature of tiled sculpting, it works fine. just some extra minutes spend on baking. no seams and perfect for environments. of course you can combine this workflow with your diffuse...
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter, hurrah, that does work, with no tears - great, will hang on to this file! I can't see anything different about the ones I make, looks the same, but yours actually works lol!

fade1, will watch the video, I like his tutorials.

edit, ah yes, offset in PS, and then sculpt in the mesh, yes, I remember this, very good. He says the same I said too "it's hard to do it in PS, better to go back to mud" indeed. - Thanks guys, I'm sure the OP will be as pleased.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Is it generally a bad idea then to also clone stamp out the seams in a normal map?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Usually yeah, because then the normals wont be exactly correct, plus you will have miss matching with other maps.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    So, I imported that mesh, and paint on it, and it just acts like a normal mesh...? It won't tile. I take it I have to set up something special?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you used mine it should tile without hassle, if you got an ATI card it could be that you have to move the object to make it visible.
    Just load it up, add a texture layer and begin to paint
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Add a texture layer... I don't want to paint, I want to sculpt? So I take it that I need that pack you guys were on about before, or use displacement maps and edit it in post... Meh, what a hassle...
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    If it´s just for painting tileable textures you can use this:

Read again :P
    Like i said this is only for painting unfortunately
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Dang... Yeah.

The annoying thing is, my copy of photoshop is playing nice with the 32bit .tiff files Mudbox pumps out, so I can't even open them. I can use 8bit but holy hell, they don't import back well at all, talk about blocky pixelated messes...
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    there is a new feature in the 2012SAP version of mud...
    a tiling plane...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B-9GUtq6K_I
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    there is a new feature in the 2012SAP version of mud...
    a tiling plane...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B-9GUtq6K_I
    fade1 wrote: »
    tiling planes just got introduced in mudbox 2012 advantage pack last month(subscription only). it's under create->tiling plane.
    for older version there is just the old school way of baking out displacements and offseting in photoshop.

fade1 already said that, but that only applies to Subscriptors.If you don´t have a subscription(student, don´t need/want it or something) you have to wait for 2013
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    odium wrote: »
    The annoying thing is, my copy of photoshop is playing nice with the 32bit .tiff files Mudbox pumps out, so I can't even open them. I can use 8bit but holy hell, they don't import back well at all, talk about blocky pixelated messes...

what version of PS are you running? without 32bit this workflow makes no sense. it's not precise enough...