Home Technical Talk

Looking for workstation [config included]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
cupsster polycounter lvl 11
Please can anyone verify/corect me at this?
Typical use: Main working computer, gaming, archviz workstation, polycount browsing :)

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: INTEL Core i7-2600K
CPU Cooler: NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2
RAM: KINGSTON 8GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL9 HyperX XMP X2 Grey Series [2x, 16GB total]
GPU: ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 [1.53GB DDR5 (4008MHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 (782MHz), PCIe x16, SLi, 384bit, 2xDVI, HDMI, DisplayPort]
System HDD: CORSAIR Force 3 Series 240GB
Data HDD: Hitachi Ultrastar A7K3000 3000GB [2x Raid backup config]
Power Suply: OCZ ZX Series 1000W
House to live in: NZXT Phantom White
DVD Drive: LG GH22NS black
+
LCD: 24" HP ZR24w
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 CZ

TOTAL: 3 040,48 EURO

Please corect me if I'm wrong, I have coupple of days before I say my YES.

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    System look awesome, but the price seems a little high.

I'm not a fan of wireless keyboards. When it comes time to install (or reinstall) the OS you'll be hunting for a wired keyboard. They also usually have a small wake up time if you haven't used it for a few minutes.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for opinion, this kbd have usb in case of emergency or this case and can be on/off it can survive 3 months in dark room..
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Price looks about 2-3x what it should be, but I dont know what computer parts go for in your market.

Are you building it yourself or having a company build it for you?

This would probably be about $1500 USD to build for instance.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like this is a gaming machine rather than a workstation :)
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Well the price seems pretty high at first glance, but since it includes a good monitor and and 240gb SSD it isn't too bad.

To me the PSU is a bit overkill unless you are looking to do 3 or 4 card SLI, even good 750watt PSUs will handle 2 card SLI, but that doesn't save any money.

I would however switch the videocard, The 580 has been out for awhile and hasn't had a price drop. So I would look for a 560 for now, save $200-$250 and put that towards a new gen card when it comes (If you even feel you need it by then).
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Can't go wrong with those specs, but the price does seem high. I tried matching the parts as closely as I could on a local build-your-own site [including giant SSD and monitor] and came to just over 2,070EUR.

Not really familiar with the needs of archviz, so I'm curious why the need for 240GB on your system drive?
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSD is for fast programs startup and glitch free work. I can get realy mad when I must wait for computer to finish something.. Yes price seems little high to me also, but could not find better dealer nearby, still searching, PSU I plan to own for longer time so I'd like to be prepared for more cards in same box or some new monster :)
    BTW: SSD replaced for last second PCI SSD Disk [~700MB/s read-write] in same price tag but lower capacity.

I'm located in Slovakia, Bratislava, so if you know of any good HW shop nearby, I'd like to know too :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    An SSD doesnt need to be huge tho - You'd be better off putting only your installs on it, and everything else on a regular drive... just like you plan to :) Except, it doesnt need to be huge. I am using OCZ drives myself. And, is a Raid really that important anyways ?

As for screens ... used screens can be good too! Just upgraded mine recently, and I am very happy with my purchase.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NKU5H0"]Amazon.com: Dell 2407WFP-HC Black / Silver 24" WideScreen Screen 1920 x 1200 Resolution LCD Flat Panel Monitor: Electronics[/ame]
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I plan backup RAID with regular discs not speed RAID cause I think data integrity matters. That discs should be speedy enough so for storing finished projects and all that regular shit..
    SSD is larger cause I'd like to have current project on that drive while I work with it and when finished move to "Sotrage"
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    With the PCIE SSD you open yourself upto a few problems.

1st off there are sometimes compatibility issues booting from certain motherboards, but you can rectify that by making sure the motherboard you want to buy is compatible.

2nd if you install windows every now and and then, you have to do the whole dance of loading controller drivers anytime you want to re-install. I suppose if you make updated drive images it's not that much of a problem.

3rd you lose flexbility of being able to throw that ssd into a laptop. Down the line newer motherboards that come out may have issues with you PCIE ssd etc.

An OCZ vertex 3 does 500MB/s reads and a bit less with writes, I would go with something like that and lose marginal performance rather than have something I may not be able to use next system build, but be a bit faster.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes I know about that. I checked compatibility and it should be ok but this time I'll go with just SSD.. later if money permits and there will be some serious firepower in PCIe SSD I'll do upgrade and leave SSD as working disc..
    My dual xeon box is realy old to this date.