Home General Discussion

damn why is there so much hell swearing from games?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
leilei polycounter lvl 14
i damn don't well fucking get it. no idea why they have hell damn pepper their fucking dialogue shit for any mature fuck rating it's like they damn do it for the sake of damn it, its just creativity ass filler for a fuck lack of a shit knowledgable vocabulary. its like all new fuckin games have the 'strong language' damn descriptor. bastard

swearing fucking releases endorphins but no damn polygons got no shit endorphins... they're just fuckin bytes, fuctors, etc. bitch

and here they say ass and tits are the problem in games, i fucking disagree it's the shits fucks, damn it. is it to fucking increase intensity and drama? i'm in a damn linear path with no damn other hell way to damn go, ficken kuso game. it ain't tense. puta

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Cock piss dick fuck tit cum butt plug cunt.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    They're just words, like all others.

Chill the fuck out and live with it. ;)
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    oh I see what you did there.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I rarely ever facepalm for anything.

You just made me facepalm.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh.......

*gives bulletstorm another playthrough*
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
    What just happened?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Because swearing is fucking mature. BITCH
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Self-demonstrating thread? I like it.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Must be bad, lazy writing.

Seriously guys profanity is overdone.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why don't you ram it up your pimhole, you fusking clothprunker!

On a more serious note though. I haven't really noticed tbh.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well the aftermath is amusing considering the young target audience.

(actual 12 year old)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    someone read the recent bulletstorm article?
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As was said earlier they're just words, words you can get on the front of newspapers if you spell them S**T and F**k. Times change and different words become the norm, English as a language is fairly light on swearing.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Dear Americans;

'Damn' and 'Hell' are not real swear-words.

Sincerely,

The rest of the fucking English speaking world.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    It depends what games you're talking about. You wouldn't expect a lot of swearing in pokemon, but games based on realism such as military/gangster/criminals/adults/war/industry/people talking about stuff/etc of any kind would realistically have swearing in it.

key word = "realism"
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW373J0qDzg"]South Park Bigger,Longer,Uncut-Super Cartman!!! - YouTube[/ame]
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lle6fpObbNc"]Shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker motherfucker..[/ame]
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    simple answere, go on a multi-player server for any FPS games and listen too all the 12 yr olds swearing thinking there the shit and all mature because they can say theses words, even know they fail to see the meaning of most of them.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would actually like to see the enemies you are fighting swear at you a bit more. I am playing gear 1 right now and I feel it woould be better if the enemies swore at you a bit
    like 'human fuckers' or similar. I think that would make them seem more real somehow.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    I would actually like to see the enemies you are fighting swear at you a bit more. I am playing gear 1 right now and I feel it woould be better if the enemies swore at you a bit
    like 'human fuckers' or similar. I think that would make them seem more real somehow.

problem being you fight aliens, so don't think there up on english too much.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well those big boomer guys shout 'boom', whioh is english:)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i mean seriously...

when you get hurt, i mean REALLY hurt. such as being shot, or hit by someone else with a hammer or something. the reaction you're looking for is "OW THAT HURTS!"
    more often than not when someone recieves a shocking pain, it's "AH FUCK!", or "BOLLOX!", or "MOTHer FUCKer!"

i actually love that about Warhammer Online... Dwarves shouting "Bollox!" when you hit them haha.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    swearing IS cool (this post is not)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also listen to construction workers, or truck drivers or really any group of people how have really physically demanding work, fuck even sound and lighting guys, when ever i have to work a show, the monitor guy and the guy working front of house are usually yelling some pretty nasty shit at each-other.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Swearing is the poor man's vehicle for delivering the msg that 'shit just got real'. Good writers don't need to curse to communicate intensity, great writers only accentuate intensity with cursing when it punctuates the scene... such as the Deadwood HBO series.

Sadly, almost no one writing games ( mostly the game developers with enough power to size and hold the story territory, or they at least have the power to hobble any decent writer who is hired on ) knows how to write or swear in a naturalistic way
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Swearing is the poor man's vehicle for delivering the msg that 'shit just got real'. Good writers don't need to curse to communicate intensity, great writers only accentuate intensity with cursing when it punctuates the scene... such as the Deadwood HBO series.

Sadly, almost no one writing games ( mostly the game developers with enough power to size and hold the story territory, or they at least have the power to hobble any decent writer who is hired on ) knows how to write or swear in a naturalistic way

Also, Swearing in most games is used as a cheap way to show or emphasize a character's bravado (that's a lazy way of writing) and i don't think that's so necessary i mean look at Arnold in Terminator 2. He was badass but swearing had nothing to do with it. I was talking about this in another thread, but i think games could benefit from better writers. portal 2 to me is like the holy grail for funny witty writing in games.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18

You realize that Deadwood was chock full of swearing right? They just used the swears of the time it was placed in, not today's swears. If people from that era heard deadwood the conservatives of the day would be saying the exact same shit that people in this thread are saying. Language changes.

Swearing is not a poor man's vehicle for anything. Swears are words. In many cases synonyms for other words. It's an absurd notion that some of those words hold some sort of mystical evil power. A good writer writes well using all words. A bad writer doesn't (whether the words are swears or not).

Also, would love to know what games you lot have been playing that make you so upset about this nonsense. I haven't seen an over-abundance of it in any game I've played lately.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I sometimes think this forum is a parody of itself.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Super wrote: »
    I sometimes think this forum is a parody of itself.

We are pretty meta.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

don't get me wrong, i agree with you for the most part.

but are you telling me you've never cursed when you just stubbed a toe, or got your fingers cought in a door or something?

and those are minor injuries when compared to the stuff that happens to characters in video games.

not to mention, being that the whole point is to make characters believable. it's not surprising at all that more and more video game writers tend towards "fouler" language, since that language is the norm out here in the big wide world.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    If someone says something that offends another person, I think the latter is at fault for letting words control their emotions. Not the person using words to express their emotions. I'm fine with not swearing in front of people who don't appreciate it, but I lose a lot of respect for someone who is afraid of words.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Badass voice > swearing

arthas2.jpg

If a character generally looks like he won't take shit, makes very subtle movement and kicks ass and shows intelligence, they feel more alive to me. When they hit that moment where they do swear it really hits you hard with the severity of the situation.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I prefer a good precision F strike over a cluster F bomb.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How many assholes do we have on this site anyway?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

considering this and the "How sexy is TOO sexy" thread a lot
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Enough to make attempts at meaningful conversation a cosmic waste of effort. I think it's time I headed back to the pimpage and previews section and made some art. At least that's productive.
    And at least there people are civil and helpful.

IMO (and this is an opinion) I think swearing isn't needed in good writing, at least excessively. A good comedian is careful with his words and timing and never overuses certain words or jokes. Excessive anything is the sign of poor writing/design.

Portal2 is one of the most brilliantly written games I have ever experienced in my life. I can count the number of swearwords on both hands, and that's it.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Tulk : what, do you think I'm retarded? Of course I know they swear in Deadwood, I having fucking ears you know? The point ( if you are not assuming I'm either deaf or stupid) is that they do swearing very well, it serves a genuine point, swearing needlessly , without a point, is the hallmark of a poor writer, trying too hard to be intense because they don't know how better to do it.

Almighty: I am Scottish, the word 'cunt' is used as punctuation where I grew up, 'Jesus Suffering fuck prick bastard' is what I still accidentally spew out when I stub my toe. I actually have one foot with a black colored toe nail and the other with a dark red rip across it as I write this.. it hurts... and as usual I swore creatively when I did it to myself.

I don't know what everyone else is talking about in this thread, my comments ( as always when I read a thread ) were directed toward the person who started the thread and asked a question. I tend to believe in answering the thread owner rather than wading into that shit infested mire that the group arguement that usually follows a question, on the internet, is.

The questions as I understood is was , why do video games rely more on swears than they used to? My understanding of this point, as a developer, as a gamer and as an adult who reads betwen 50 and 70 books per year is that its because the game developers writing stories are bad story tellers.

Using too many words, using too many swear words, having 2 people talking about a third off screen character and so on... these are the hallmarks of bad writers.

I am not a prude, I will take everyone single last f'ing one of you in a swearing contest... but I still know that swearing in a boring fashion, for the lack of anything better to say, is still just bad writing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm too drunk too read this thread but if you're already rated mature for violence why not throw in some curses as well. Fucking hell!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm too drunk too read this thread but if you're already rated mature for violence why not throw in some curses as well. Fucking hell!

I'd like to add, when you are in situations where you think you are in danger you tend to curse alot, i've been there.
  • Stinger88