Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Various hand Painted Props

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Tweak out the grooves in the wood. They shouldn't be as deep as the nicks and scratches.

Great reference art.

Your lighting is using a boatload of colors. I'd tone back the color usage and get the values and contrast reading right first.
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the texture work, working on an environment myself atm with the same style, finding it quite hard to achieve the right effct
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice lighting and great atmosphere. The rocks came out really nice. Real crisp and I dig the style.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Ah cool, I love !! Agreed with Emil, I like how clean/crisp this is :]

I think maybe the ceiling beams could use an incremental bend in the middle (but very tiny!) In the concept the tunnel looks a little roundish, but in your scene it's a bit rigid. Also getting some of that warm light on the floor would be good, and this def needs some dust particles at the end xD Can't waittt for more.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey this is comeing along nicely.

Btw how did you get the light to pick up the skulls to drop a shadow? Every time I tried something like this the light flatout ignored my geometry.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Thanks guys ;

@ Jessica - I agree, I'll bend a couple beams and thow them in.

The particles are coming up soon because I'm still avoiding doing my diffuse passes lol. I'm thinking I'll do 2-3 systems; One dust, one embers, and potentially some thing else.

@ Seirei - if you're using UDK; Under the lights properties, make sure you set your light source radius to something small. The little yellow ball around the icon is your light source radius and is where the photons I guess are emitted from.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Love this! The stone tiles, the pile and what not, is just from that one HP you showed?

Love how the lights create a bat/monster!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    @sltrOlsson Thank you kindly. More or less yeah, I just extracted a few of the rocks from that and re-arranged them to create a new prop.

Bat/monster was a happy accident, I'm glad you enjoy :)

Pushed the contrast in my lighting a bit more to match the reference. hopefully everyone approves?

dungeonwip6.jpg
  • matsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice... it's really screaming "wallpaper!" to me :) (hint hint)

I was convinced the lamp/shadow thing was no accident and you actually took notice of the lamps is the first resident evil movie... they used the same principle to have a shadow/light version of the umbrella logo on the wall.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    I like the atmosphere in the previous one a little more. The lighting seems a bit too. . noisy in this one if that makes sense. It's evenly distributed in patches along the hallway, and very similar in intensity on both sides.

Also, the normals on the blocks around the lights looks off?
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I agree so I pulled out the orange lights on the door and its calmed it down a good bit.

Here's the adjustments. I'm going to noodle around with some stylized smoke for the lanterns and some ground fog to break up the ground just a little bit more. Diffuse/Specs are the only things left after that really.

dungeonwip7.jpg
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd still try to get back some of that feel of the previous one, maybe play with the lights in the corridor. . .

Here's a little anim of comparison and me trying to break down what's different and how that affects the scene, to figure out why it feels different.

4lFoi.gif

Sometimes less is more. . .

my 3 cents :)
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    kk, Big image inc, Let me know which one you like more guys, I'm happy with both to be honest. The only thing I changed between the top and bottom image are the orange lights in the hall have been disabled, the foreground is the same.

whichonec.jpg

The top to me feels more fun and adventurous.
    The bottom feels more eerie and spooky.

When I think of the type of hero that would go into this environment I think of the little kid from Daniel Lieske concepts
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bottom! But you probably knew that.

Even if you wanted to keep the brighter feel of the top one, I'd suggest trying to make the lighting a bit more dynamic in feel. Right now it feels like there are invisible spotlights on the ceiling spaced down the hall. Knowatimean?
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    yeah, I've made a few adjustments that I feel meet both of my needs. Will post updates in a bit.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Sorry for the delay, Here's what I've come up with for pretty much my final lighting before I move on to my texturing.

Left the rim lights on the beams that I liked and feel like help lead the eye. Also I desaturated one of the fill lights for the hall to get a softer transition from the foreground to the background.

dungeonwip8.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    now those colors are popping!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, that's perfect, lighting looks great !!
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd tone that rim light way down, it creates an large area of high contrast values, and I think it's really detracting from the rest of the hallway, not to mention the light doesn't seem like it has a source. I think it distracts more than leads, imho.

Much, much better though, I think. the atmosphere is coming back, the play between the blues and ornges is better, and it's looking less artificially lit.
  • lordsarum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awsome lighting dude, i think only thing that could do some work is the bricks, cause everything seems so demolished around but the breaks are to clean and even, maybe just give them some damage
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    True, I'll sculpt up another version from the file thats more damaged and vertex blend it in.
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with what lordsarum is saying about the bricks. You could also try and play with the light bit more maybe.

Add less light near the front and more light near the door in the back to push that focal point more.

This is looking crazy good though. I cant wait to see it textured. :D
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    this looks amazing! keep it up! can't wait to see the final ver.
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld polycounter lvl 12
    I love those lamps!

I agree those bricks need roughing up a little. At first glance they looked like cinder blocks rather than cobbled bricks to me. I'd also suggest adding a little lighting at the back; perhaps a spotlight on the door or some lighting beyond it. There's some nice detail down there, but its getting lost a little.

Looking forward to seeing it progress!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Threads like these are what make polycount my favourite place on the internet. Thanks for sharing your work Gannon!
  • Darkleopard
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    great stuff gannon! pls proceed....
  • harmless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harmless polycounter lvl 8
    Looking cool!

I think the spider webs are currently doing you a disservice.
    The atmosphere looks great but it would cause light to bounce off those all those little dust /fog particles and cause a volumetric effect from the lights...lights look weird with fog but no volumetric light indication.

Loving the painted look! Keep it up!!
  • ridvancakir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really looking good :poly121: Light and texture very cool. ı want suggestion about the texture painting. I am beginner and how should I begin ?
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    @ridvancakir - When people as me what I'm doing, I like to tell them " I'm just makin shapes." I never really know where I'm going; So I just let the shapes and the composition work itself into place.

So my advice is - Just make shapes :); play with colors and get comfortable trying new color schemes.

I've been swamped with other things and kinda forgot about this project for a minute, lol.

Thanks for all the feedback.I just opened up the scene and I took care of most of the crits I received a while back.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I've been busy at work but we're winding down now so I've been noodling on this for a little bit here and there.

Still in the really early modeling phase but at least the textures are all almost finished :p I just need to put a little more polish on them but I'll do that ~after~ I get everything lit. No point in making a lot of adjustments that will end up being covered or put into shadow.

goblinwip1.jpg
    goblinwiptex1.jpg

I need to look into lens effects for when I bring it into UDK or I may just render it all out in Max/Maya. Dunno yet, i'll worry about it more when I get there :p

Based off of this concept piece. I just loved the colors and I'm hoping to replicate it as best I can in with as little texture/polycount as I can.

grafitartbank.jpg

I hate it that I can't remember the original artists name. Always makes me feel bad that I can't give them proper credit.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Artist is http://hamsterfly.deviantart.com/. Google image search, man.

And good luck with this, I'll be watching.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    awesome, didn't know image search had a reverse search :D ty!
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    textures look really nice!