Home General Discussion

Turning my Polish AK into an AR setup

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
waedoe polycounter lvl 8
slowly modifying my polish under folder to have AR15 sights. I still have some work to do. Im going to put a tri rail for the foregrip and have a vert grip stick a flash light on the side and possibly co witness with an eotech. So far im loving the set up. Probably going to have to model this FTW.

34g3gjk.jpg
259h8ja.jpg
4i1yeh.jpg

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    that looks awesome :) Is that an upper with an integrated rail? I don't think I've seen AK parts like that before. Is that aftermarket, or is that something the Polish build uses stock?
  • waedoe
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    the gas tube rail is an ultimak

http://ultimak.com/m1-b.htm

The bolt cover is a TWS DOG RAIL v2 quite new

http://texasweaponsystems.com/
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    yeah I was talking about the bolt cover, I didn't notice initially that the gas tube rail was a separate piece.
  • waedoe
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    yeah it gives it a really low rail profile keeping the sights closer to the line with the barrel. its probably an inch higher than the original sights nothing to crazy. Im going out to zero it next week and do the final modifications to it. over all probably 800 put into it with the rails and accessories not too much if you ask me!
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    This seems like a pretty cool project, however, do threads like these really belong on a game art forum? I know this is general chat, but still. Feels almost like a blog post...

If everyone else is cool with it, then please, excuse me, I apologize in advance.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Prophecies wrote: »
    This seems like a pretty cool project, however, do threads like these really belong on a game art forum? I know this is general chat, but still. Feels almost like a blog post...

If everyone else is cool with it, then please, excuse me, I apologize in advance.

This kind of post is cool. Flaagan's thread about restoring his Barracuda is hundreds of posts long. Basically, being akin to a blog isn't a problem, it's being lame/boring/stupid. This is pretty sweet, and most of us have modeled weapons before, so it's no worse than slightly off-topic.

Very nice firearm, waedoe. Any history to it? My friend has a sweet AK74 he picked up at a garage sale of all places (pretty sure it wasn't technically a legal transaction, but the seller didn't know better.)
  • waedoe
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    TomDunne wrote: »
    This kind of post is cool. Flaagan's thread about restoring his Barracuda is hundreds of posts long. Basically, being akin to a blog isn't a problem, it's being lame/boring/stupid. This is pretty sweet, and most of us have modeled weapons before, so it's no worse than slightly off-topic.

Very nice firearm, waedoe. Any history to it? My friend has a sweet AK74 he picked up at a garage sale of all places (pretty sure it wasn't technically a legal transaction, but the seller didn't know better.)

well just so we know its on topic, i am planning on modeling it once the project is complete.

I picked it up in kalona IOWA while i was smashed. I was marine infantry for 4 years and have always admired the AK platform for its reliablity and i like how it looks. Not that i dont like my AR platforms. but i wanted a style change and something i could modify and call my own. With the AR Iron sights i feel that i have some what blended both worlds. I really really like Iron sights and obviously having spent 4 years in the marines 4 expert rifle badges, several recon shooting packages and one tour to iraq im partial to the AR's iron sights. Like i said next week im going to shoot and sight this sucker in, im hoping to keep tight groups with it at 300 i dont know if theres a range much further than that but ill keep you guys updated.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Sweet stuff dude!

On the subject of "does this belong here", it does make me wish there was a Pimping forum specifically for all the non-game art types of artistic pursuits fellow polycounters are doing like this, Flaagan's cuda, Makkon's techno music, cosplay costume construction....etc etc etc. The amount of cool things PCers keep comin up with outside of game art could certainly fill it's on sub-forum!
  • EarthQuake
    Kalona, really? Just a few minutes from here.

Prophecies: No problems with this thread, he's actually creating/modifying something, there is content here. Pimping isn't exclusive to game art, we've hard more traditional art posts or whatever. Again people really, if you have a problem with a thread just report it, theres no need for everyone on polycount to be "the blog police".
    ebagg wrote: »
    On the subject of "does this belong here", it does make me wish there was a Pimping forum specifically for all the non-game art types of artistic pursuits fellow polycounters are doing like this, Flaagan's cuda, Makkon's techno music, cosplay costume construction....etc etc etc. The amount of cool things PCers keep comin up with outside of game art could certainly fill it's on sub-forum!

If we start getting hundreds or thousands of these type of posts it will have be considered, for now these types of posts are pretty rare. But thats not to discourage them, I personally love to see things that are a little different on polycount, anything working with physical materials really.

Really the whole blog thing, its mainly a matter of content and substance. If you've got interesting content and substance, there generally isn't going to be a problem.
  • waedoe
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    Not to be weird EQ but it would be a pleasure if you wanted to come out and shoot with my friends and I. Last time we went out we went shooting with the Iowa City swat. That and i could pick your brain on 3d art and stuff haha. but hey open invitation !
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Kalona, really? Just a few minutes from here.

Prophecies: No problems with this thread, he's actually creating/modifying something, there is content here. Pimping isn't exclusive to game art, we've hard more traditional art posts or whatever. Again people really, if you have a problem with a thread just report it, theres no need for everyone on polycount to be "the blog police".

If we start getting hundreds or thousands of these type of posts it will have be considered, for now these types of posts are pretty rare. But thats not to discourage them, I personally love to see things that are a little different on polycount, anything working with physical materials really.

Really the whole blog thing, its mainly a matter of content and substance. If you've got interesting content and substance, there generally isn't going to be a problem.