Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gothic Cathedral and Medieval Art Set (UDK environments)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Yury polycounter lvl 8
Hi! Here's a couple of small environments I did about 1 year ago while I was studying in my 1st and 2nd semesters at Game Art and Design program at Centennial College in Toronto. It was fun working on it. I gained a lot of experience in 3d modeling/texturing and UDK. Hope you like it. Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

Vimeo video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaxBba9Ds6w"]YouTube video[/ame]

cathedral1o.jpg

cathedral2.jpg

artset1.jpg

artset2.jpg

artset3.jpg

Replies

• Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Privet Yura! The ground in front of Cathedral entrance looks really boring and over-tiled. It looks more like cheap carpet than cobble stones. Do some actual sculpting for the ground and add some variation.
    ground_tile.jpg

Also the Cathedral as a whole doesn't look Gothic much... What references/concepts have you worked from?

cathedral-of-santa-maria-nascente-milan-mlduom2.jpg
    8.jpg
    GothicCathedralKoln1.jpg
    paris-notre-dame.jpg
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man! I think one thing that you really need to redo is your lighting setup. Right now, everything is really dark! Your can't really see any of the art that you did in a lot of these shots. Try some lighter setups, and then we'll have some more to critique!
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Well the thing is, it's my very first projects I did, so I didn't have any experience in texturing, ZBrush sculpting and lighting at that time. As for the lighting set up, it's night scenes so, I thought everything should be pretty dark. Anyways thanks for the feedback, I'll keep it in mind for the future.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    One thing that immediatly hit me when looking at your first scene is a certain inconsistency in material usage.

While the outer walls of the cathedral are made from big rough stones the style of the door-arc is much more refined, intact.

I don't know how to express this:
    Your outer walls scream: medieval gothic cathedral -- in your face
    The door-Arc is more like: renaissance (fine pillars and plastered walls)

I think it's good to break up the monotony of the rough stone. But at the moment it seem unbelievable.

On a second glance i notived the following:

I think your outerwalls are much too straight and chunky to be part of a believable gothic cathedral. Take a closer look at your reference. You will notice that the facade of those churches splits up into many pillars and arcs. The lower to the ground the wider the building gets. All this is necessary to bear the enourmous weight of the building. The walls can't hold it as there are big windows intersecting them.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Slave_zero wrote: »
    I don't know how to express this:
    Your outer walls scream: medieval gothic cathedral -- in your face
    The door-Arc is more like: renaissance (fine pillars and plastered walls)

Actually I think that the archway and the mosaic behind it are the only things that look gothic, look at the references I posted. Yeah the walls might not be plastered, but they are certainly finely finished.