Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rackham-esque Tree

DGB
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DGB polycounter lvl 7
Was looking at some old Arthur Rackham illustrations and got inspired...

whaddaya think?Rackham2.jpg
Rackham1.jpg

Replies

• n88tr
    looks like a squid attacked the stump
  • Sean VanGorder
    Hey Dave, nice to see you posting stuff on here :)

I saw you working on this in class earlier, looks like a cool idea. A few things come to mind at first glance. Maybe try varying the size of the individual roots to add some contrast. Also, maybe you could push the surface definition between the different materials a bit more(bark, rocks), as they're all fairly smooth at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    n88tr wrote: »
    looks like a squid attacked the stump
    A squid laying eggs* :P

But seriously though, it is pretty cool looking, but that is not how root system will look. The roots will spread out to gather as much water/minerals for the tree as possible. Yours on the other hand look bunched up and tangled. As said above, try different sizes. But also don't forget that roots branch out as well. Looking at some references will help...
    tree-roots-1atxr1p.jpg
  • DGB
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    Tree12.jpg
    Tree11.jpg
    Heh, I thought I could get away with being a little lazy with the roots with none the wiser, but I guess not. Fixed up the root system and rocks and finished the branches up top. Before too long I'm going to make 2 or 3 modular roots I can plug into the base, so I'll see how that goes. Anyway, thanks all, for the input.
  • DGB
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    Tree2.jpg
    Max model. Approx. 2000 tris.
    Okay, so the whole branches-as-roots idea isn't work out so well. Who knows, Maybe I'll revamp this project in the future. For now, I think I'll go back to characters...