Home Unreal Engine

Saveing texture samples on a material.

passerby
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
passerby polycounter lvl 12
hello i got a pretty complex brick shader going in UDK, and am trying to figure out what is more expensive right now, adding a whole new greyscale texture to use as a heightmap for my vertex paint and bump offset or taking my mask texture which i used to mask my grout, and 2 different set of bricks for adding variation too them.

i figured out a way too add my 3 channel mask texture up into something that can be used as a heightmap by both the bump offset and my texture blending.

screens_20111003133526.png

but am not sure if that is more expensive than just adding a other texture or putting the heightmap in the alpha of my mask.

an other upside of this is being able to tweak the heightmap intensity to some extent.

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    id say just put the heightmap in your alpha.
  • Perfect_Rolemodel
    I think each r,g,b, vector is 8 bit total of 24 bit. With alpha another 8 bit = 32 bit total. I heard it's best to add any mask/grayscale map to your alpha which only adds one more 8 bit instead of making another 24 bit texture. Also not sure if this is correct but if you set the compression in photoshop to 8 bit grayscale and import to udk compressed as tc_grayscale or something like, it will be 8 bit only? Can't remember.