Home General Discussion

Dumb Shit You've Done Then FacePalmed...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
We all cock up I'm sure, sometimes in the most insane of ways...

Like for example, I spent the morning importing/exporting my models into MudBox over and over because for some reason, they wouldn't appear smoothed in MudBox. I finally gave up, went out, came back a few hours later and wrestled with it for another half hour... Before noticing I didn't have "Smooth Shaded" ticked... *facepalm*

Anybody else have any stories of epic fail from recent times?

Replies

• marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I got stuck in the revolving door in the entrance lobby to our office building. On my second day.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Opening this thread! nawwww only kidding :)

Mine usually involve closing a program and clicking 'yes' instead of 'no' to save changes.. or the other way around..
    edit: marks, nice.. forever known as 'that guy who couldn't work the revolving door' :)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Bwhaha, getting stuck in a door on your first day must have earned you a lot of "respect" around the office as the new guy :p

Additional... I made the mistake of taunting my best friends four year old son... While he was in a small swimming pool... With a huge water gun...

Suffice to say, the walk home with soaked crotch was amazing...
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    marks, id think that would be a great way to break the ice and get to know people :P
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Odium, why didn't you just soak everything else, so the wet crotch wasn't noticeable? It's what I would have done.

I was sitting on a stool with a triangular shaped cushion, playing an SNES game. I raged hard, tried to punch the little bit of cushion, and hit myself in the nuts instead. It's a very weird sensation to be hurt, angry, AND laughing...
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Hmmm not sure, the other night i was reaching for something on the floor because i was too lazy to get up to grab it, and my chair (it has wheels) moved from underme and i faceplanted INTO the object i was trying to grab... that was pretty spectacular.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Feeding the dog.. i had the can of dog food, a spoon and his bowl. I was going thru the motion of scooping the wet food out of the can and picking up the bowl and for some reason didnt put the can down and needed a place to hold the sppon, so i plopped it into my mouth...

i can still taste the horse meat.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    that's nasty rogue!

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I made this revolving door thing last week at a shopping center too. I had to wave hands to people to make them walk near the door to make the sensors work hahaha one of them looked at me with a very strange face :)
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    It was the kind you just push. Don't even ask me how :|
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Being in a shop looking around, then going to walk out of the said shop, thinking "why is there so much smoke in here?" then BAAM! walked straight into a window. The smoke was/were reflections. Looked around, hoped no one saw me do that. If i saw it i would have laughed.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Being in a shop looking around, then going to walk out of the said shop, thinking "why is there so much smoke in here?" then BAAM! walked straight into a window. The smoke was/were reflections. Looked around, hoped no one saw me do that. If i saw it i would have laughed.

Happened to me in like grade 4. Turned around saw people leaving and ran right into a window. Got free ice cream though :)
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    ... sometimes i bite the tv remote and i try to switch channels with the sandwich. hahah
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Trying to unlock the front door of my apt complex with my car's keyless entry fob. Tends to happen at the end of long days. :)
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, that reminds me of a time when I was in a restaurant and saw a nice looking terrace on the other side of some sliding glass doors.

I walked over to go outside and check out the view. Thud!! ... The restaurant turns to stare at me :\. I should have got the name of their window cleaning company.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Brushed my teeth with hair gel one time.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    trying to jump in the air to head the ball of the guys playing football at frontier games and landing on a big heap on the floor.
    Later that week I almost tore off my scalp when the low chain link fence took me by surprise.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    My wife changed her personal ringtone on my phone to the Harry Potter theme song. One day at work I left my phone on the counter in the restroom.

Later someone sent an e-mail to the entire company, "Juan your phone with the Harry Potter ringtone is in my office."
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Another one, went out because a friend and his girlfriend were going to New Zealand to live there for a while. Big going away party, got smashed. The next morning went to make a cup of coffee, took one jar - empty. Proceeded to make coffee with the next jar, sugar, milk. Sat down with my mate, took a sip and spat it out "the milks off". Litle did i know that i'd made myself a bisto/sugar/milk drink. Everyone found out about that one.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    The first time I met my girlfriends friends one of them thought it would be funny to lightly slap me in the face. I punched her straight back, there was silence.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I was brushing my teeth and missed the turn to go to my back teeth. Slid out of my mouth, up my cheek and in my eye.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The other day at work, I did an idle animation cycle, got it approved by my AD, then went and did a run cycle. End of the day rolls around and I realized, I was working on the same file the entire time.... I didnt save the Idle AT ALL.... /facepalm
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Hot water > cereal. This morning :( Happens annoyingly often
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    lol gav

Like... second date ever. Coming back home. Girl gets into the back seat of the taxi. I close the door behind her -- and get into the front seat, next to the driver.

major facepalm
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I registered to a weird site called polycount.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Fell of a bike last night, smashed up my ankle, can't walk, missed a birthday party today for it
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Lol shotgun, that actually made me cringe in front of my computer in sympathy

Swimming in a gorgeous mountain pond I found with some friends, didn't have my swim shorts so swam in my boxers. Jumped off the waterfall, got out of the water in front of all my friends, stretch my arms out above me, take a big breath of mountain air, feelin pretty great about life, everyone is staring at me... I look down, somethin's pokin out of my fly. Awesome.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    When I was like 11 I jumped off the top of my stairs and broke my arm. When I landed I didn't make a noise, looked at my arm bent 90 degrees the wrong way, and freaked the fuck out.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    lol
    u take it out for some air what's the big deal
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I went to a restaurant for some lunch once with some friends and a waitress shows up to take our drink orders. I recognized her but I couldn't really place where I've seen her before so while she was taking orders I was busy trying to figure that out;
    Waitress: So what would you like to have to drink?
    Me: A drink.
    Waitress: What kind of drink?
    Me: A drink.
    Waitress: Yes, but what kind of drink?
    My friends started looking at me with a strange look on their faces at this point.
    Me: Oh! A beverage please.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    My wife and I were backpacking around Europe in 2000 and we had just arrived in Scotland (Edinburgh).
    While we were walking through the town checking out the sites I spotted a cool little comic store so I dragged her reluctantly inside.
    She's so not into anything like games or comics so she was giving me a tonne of crap about how much of a geek I was as we walked in.

I wandered around for a bit then thought it would be funny to play up how much of a geek she thought I was.

I grabbed the nearest graphic novel, hitched my pants up really high, slouched over, pulled a retard face, turned to my wife and said in my best serial killer voice...

"This is the one I want baby, its sooo rare that it gives me wood."

Except...it wasn't my wife....it was some ridiculously hot red haired Scottish chick. :|

The young lady just slowly backed away to reveal my wife standing directly behind her giving me the biggest mental face palm ever.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    was voice chatting with my buddy in battlelog for BF3 yesterday and my gf got home well it doesnt end the chat when you exit your web-browser. my friend got a bit of a show after i stopped playing.

Untitled-1-9.png
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    It doesn't...? Oh...

Well, erm... Thank you for bringing that to my attention...... *cough*
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Went to use my house keys to open the cabinet I use to stow my food (house share)

There is no lock on the cabinet door.

Also once was so tired I almost put the kettle back in the fridge instead of the milk.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    r13 wrote: »
    Feeding the dog.. i had the can of dog food, a spoon and his bowl. I was going thru the motion of scooping the wet food out of the can and picking up the bowl and for some reason didnt put the can down and needed a place to hold the sppon, so i plopped it into my mouth...

i can still taste the horse meat.

question is did you like it enough to do it on a regular basis?? xD
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    girlfriend likes to store her can of blue hairspray next to my can of blue deodourant

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I have just accidentally deleted my Fallout 3 saves when uninstalling the game from Xbox. There goes 70 hours or so of gameplay :(
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I have spent numerous minuets, multiple times, confused as to why my wacom isnt working only to realize I have a real pen in my hand.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One day in highschool, I was walking past a lunchtime softball game with some friends and I decided it would be a good idea to make fun of the loosing team by yelling out:
    "You suck so bad you smell!"

It did not have the intended effect :(
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Autocon wrote: »
    I have spent numerous minuets, multiple times, confused as to why my wacom isnt working only to realize I have a real pen in my hand.

How about forgetting the wacom pen sitting on the tablet and wonder what the hell is going on with the mouse cursor?? I even rebooted my PC one because of that :(
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I once told everybody on Polycount that Google bought Youtube..

...4 years after the fact.

/facepalm
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    brandoom wrote: »
    I once told everybody on Polycount that Google bought Youtube..

...4 years after the fact.

/facepalm

That wasnt something you should be face-palmed at, because it wasnt dumb. If you post something and everyone knows about it, doesnt make you dumb in anyway. So, let it go. :)

I pmed Creation 22 and requested him to stop being a dick to me on Polycount, only to find out, that he posted my pm in a thread to insult me on Polycount. Now that is the dumbest thing I've ever done and I face palmed upon.

Now that he is gone (I think), I still dont know what was his actual beef with me. :(
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Enabled the Autosave in Maya

Accidentally deleted the Model just when it was prompting me to autosave i some how fell forward on the enter button and boom all hours of work lost

i mashed my head into the keyboard afterwards
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    I burned a tree down when i was little. I still remember
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Saving a psd flattened is bit of a classic
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i love this thread.

I remember pouring ketchup into my cup thinking it was water. I only realize when I was about to take a sip and noticed my red water was a little too viscus.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »

A few times it wasn't working for me because I had the pen backwards.

My first day here at High Moon I was asking the senior artist why my mouse wasn't working and my computer was wigging out.. it was because my wacom pen was on my tablet. -___-
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    it was because my wacom pen was on my tablet. -___-
    haha happened to me as well..
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    Forgetting to drop the wacom pen before going afk to get something to drink/answer the phone/whatever, then putting it down somewhere in house without noticing, returning to the comp to find the wacom pen is missing... let the pen hunt begin... <___<;
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hosting a party last weekend, I walk outside to bum a smoke from some acquaintances who happen to be Mexican. They start chatting to me in fluent English and I my first three lines are me using the tiny bit of Spanish I remember from Junior High "Como estas! Y tu? Excelente!" They give me an odd look. I say "well that's pretty much all the Spanish I know, I was laying it on a little thick huh?", they all say "yes" simultaneously.