Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Batcave

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hi!

Recently I started working on a modified concept of a batcave for the movie The Dark Knight.
I'm guessing the concept got scrapped, seeing as I never saw it in the movie.

I wanted to place the batcave in an old sewer similar to the old parisian sewers.

There's still quite a lot of work to do, especially on the textures, but here's what I have so far:

PCWIP1.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pics or it didn't happen.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    pics or it didn't happen.

Oh it happened alright! :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated picture added to original post! :) Sorry about that!
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like your composition so far. Keep going, more stuffz.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    NANANA-...
    Bat-Shit-Everywhere_e5ab29814d26badca3edc880abb25833.jpg

But in all seriousness, pretty cool so far. All the brick surfaces are waaaay too repeated. Those areas look boring, add some irregularity and assets to unite the scene
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like your normals might be reversed on your brick wall. If you look at all of the bricks above the screen, especially the ones with the yellow highlight on them, their highlights seem to be on the top edges of the brick rather than the bottom as you would likely expect them to be. To me it seems like the normals are pushing the bricks in rather than pulling them out. I've had this issue before and the easiest way to see if it is actually happening is to render the model with a solid color diffuse but still using the normal. That will allow you to really see how the normal is behaving.

I could be wrong and I might just be 'mis-reading' your image but it really does seem like the normals are a little messed up there so I would look into it if I were you.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Do you have a concept that you're working from? You said it's modified. Right now I feel like the main issue is composition, even if you add more stuff to the scene the original composition will make things look a little bit boring. You're currently using an angle that shows off the rockface most. I bet the angle would be nicer further up and more to the right giving a little bit more depth to the whole thing. With the angle you're currently using it ends up looking like a really small cave.

Good work however :) Looking forward to seeing more!

EDIT:
    The fun thing with a scene like this is that it doesn't have to be big, you can have then screens as the main focal point, and have another hallway or area leading into some kind of nice light.

kinda like this: (flipped for better comparison)
    5z49yf.jpg
    (http://zzjimzz.deviantart.com/art/Practice-202442758?q=boost:popular in:gameart/2dgame/environments&qo=209)

Think of "perspective lines". It feels like yours are all over the place, even if that might not even be the case. If you know what I mean. It's really hard to explain xD but it might help the depth.

Make sure to try different colors for the lights as well, cold blue might work, a bit greenish as well I bet. :thumbup: This could be a really really cool piece and you're well on your way I'd say! :)
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    this is now an official spiderman thread

tumblr_lnpvy1yleo1qmn0rro1_500.png

edit: but yeah this should be win, keep at it!!
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice start. I would recomend you to fix the UVs on your brick wall so that the bricks gets this pattern. you have a very strange seam half way up. Also that cliff texture needs more geo. It feels like a poster of a rock glued to a wall. would help to define the rock a bit more where it meets the metal bars at the top and bottom..

New-Ulm-Hermann-4.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the awesome feedback! Will try to fix as much as possible tonight. :)

Cheers!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, a quick update. Tweaked the lighting, made tunnels added some more geo to the rock wall. I think I need to add some more though.

I also made some texture progress.

Here's what I have so far:
    PCWIP2.jpg

Please let me know what you think!
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Like Dave Silver said, i might double check your normal map for your brick, it looks backwards, or i guess the work would be upside down, so that would involve flipping your green channel.. i think.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback on the bricks! I tried flipping both the red and green, but that didn't work, so thanks for telling me to flip the green one!

Here's how it looks now:
    PCWIP3.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looks nice! I think the bricks look a bit new still tho, they'd have received a lot of damage, bricks missing, parts of the cave rock visible perhaps, etc. But perhaps that was on ur list already :) Good luck with the scene!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I would say something that could help your bricks out is a change up in the texture. Do some vertex painting. For example the areas where the bricks touch the ground, door frame, and support beams vert paint in some concrete or moss. Probably moss since this is a moist environment. Also the bricks are too high frequency that when you look at it from afair it just looks like noise. I would say break that up somehow with again either vert painting or tile the bricks in a way that would make them slightly bigger.

I would also texture the support beams seperately, or tile them better. They just look like you used the same tileable brick textures that you have for the walls, which doesnt look good. I would suggest making those unique props, which would also give you an opportunity to make them look more aged.

I would say overall your biggest issue is your pixel density with your textures. They are either very dense, or not dense enough. The brick you have on that front trim piece is way too low, but the brick pieces themselves are way too high.

Nice atmosphere though. I like the moist environment feel you're starting to get.