Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male head sculpting practice

greevar
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
greevar polycounter lvl 6
I'm finally doing art again after a long dry spell (had a son, mental health stuff going on). This is my first attempt at sculpting in Blender (in anything actually). It was surprisingly easier than I had imagined it, but it was quite a challenge. Looking for critiques and advice.

malesculptfront.png

malesculptside.png

Replies

• greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Could you show some references? It's easier to crit if you have something to compare it to.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't use reference. I sculpted this from memory, so I have nothing to compare it to. I just started sculpting and this is what came out of it.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Big mistake (I used to do it all the time). Grab some reference, reshape this head based on the reference, and post it here again. Good luck.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Generally things look in-place, but it's still not tight enough. You have some problems in the forehead area, the cheekbones and the back of the jaw which should go a bit further back. The shape of the skull could use a bit more tweaking.

Basically you were given a great advice. Grab some reference and study from it. I'd use a skull at an early stage, and try to study the proportions and shapes. Then move to a bit of a gaunt face/head, and try to sculpt that, looking for the landmarks you remember from the skull sculpt. Then move to a more meaty face, and finally to saggy, fatty faces in which the anatomy is hardest to make out under all the loose skin.

That's what I would do to study face sculpting. Well that's what I did, and still do. :) Quite happy with my results so far.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    You started too high poly, start lowest or second from lowest and try and capture the likeness there first.