Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art institute of chicago E portfolio critique - WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
waedoe polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys right now I'm throwing together a portfolio of my work for the art institute of Chicago! (applying) I'm submitting my work through their e portfolio service and just want some feed back before i go through with the submission. The preferred dimensions are 600x600 px so that's why the images are small.

SAIC preference on pictures: "72 dpi, no more than 600 pixels in any direction"

Heres what i have so far for my 3d:

2z4hfe8.jpg
2090shl.jpg
rupumt.jpg
2d6qf83.jpg
2zi9cf6.jpg
xo1avp.jpg
29mnocl.jpg
24g0m7p.jpg

Thanks for the feed back!

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Your renders are very small. I wish to enlarge them and look at them. But I can't. So I refuse to strain my eyes. Think about things like that before you send them into studios for a job
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Your renders are very small. I wish to enlarge them and look at them. But I can't. So I refuse to strain my eyes. Think about things like that before you send them into studios for a job

I realize they are small however the school im applying to wants the pictures submitted in a 600x600 pixel canvas space. i suppose i could go back and blow them up for poly count.
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Papa_Austin polycounter lvl 10
    well you textures are a little to clean, I would say add a little more surface treatment to the microscope ie.scratches (the really nice ones in plastic that end up accumulating dirt and gunk into the crevasses) regular wear and tear that thing being used every day would get. as for the gun I think you should darken the color of the metal and bump up the spec to really bring out that metal look, right now it looks like it could be a plastic or maybe concrete so darkening the metal color to a dark and bumping up the specs values and contrast will get you started in the right direction.

just my 2 cents :)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I go to AILA, and I can say you'll get in. Most people get in without any 3D work, or even good 2D work, so don't stress it. Piece of cake. Now, whether it'll be worth it is questionable, really. But it all depends on the teachers you have, and your own work ethic. I'm only still at AILA because of one awesome teacher. But man, is he awesome. Ask if you can meet the department heads before agreeing to go there. And see the teachers work first, if possible (Try to get their names to look up their websites).

Then decide, if you are impressed.
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    well you textures are a little to clean, I would say add a little more surface treatment to the microscope ie.scratches (the really nice ones in plastic that end up accumulating dirt and gunk into the crevasses) regular wear and tear that thing being used every day would get. as for the gun I think you should darken the color of the metal and bump up the spec to really bring out that metal look, right now it looks like it could be a plastic or maybe concrete so darkening the metal color to a dark and bumping up the specs values and contrast will get you started in the right direction.

just my 2 cents :)

Will do, yeah texturing is my weak point. but ill work on it thanks!
    I go to AILA, and I can say you'll get in. Most people get in without any 3D work, or even good 2D work, so don't stress it. Piece of cake. Now, whether it'll be worth it is questionable, really. But it all depends on the teachers you have, and your own work ethic. I'm only still at AILA because of one awesome teacher. But man, is he awesome. Ask if you can meet the department heads before agreeing to go there. And see the teachers work first, if possible (Try to get their names to look up their websites).

Then decide, if you are impressed.

SAIC (school of the art institute of chicago) isnt apart of the art institute franchises. but ill definantly look into their teachers and thier websites.

heres saic's home page

http://www.saic.edu/
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    I would say that my biggest issue with it is just the untextured assests that you have
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    SAIC is a great art school, but it's an art school. They have a reputation for fine arts; I'm not saying this is a bad thing (I got a BFA and put on some fulfilling exhibitions my senior year and very much enjoy art museums) but I'm not sure they'll know what to do with a portfolio of gray Colt 1911s and sci-fi blenders. I would suspect they're looking for ideas and concepts more than digital craft, but I could be wrong. Have you talked to admissions and/or professors at the school about your portfolio submission and the programs the school has to offer? I'm not aware of any game art degrees at the school...
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    jipe wrote: »
    SAIC is a great art school, but it's an art school. They have a reputation for fine arts; I'm not saying this is a bad thing (I got a BFA and put on some fulfilling exhibitions my senior year and very much enjoy art museums) but I'm not sure they'll know what to do with a portfolio of gray Colt 1911s and sci-fi blenders. I would suspect they're looking for ideas and concepts more than digital craft, but I could be wrong. Have you talked to admissions and/or professors at the school about your portfolio submission and the programs the school has to offer? I'm not aware of any game art degrees at the school...

I went for a tour earlier this year (june) and i met with an admissions rep i showed her some 3d stuff (some of the models are in this thread) as well as the still lifes i drew from a previous art class in seattle. As far as i know and what she said it was alright to submit 3d art. In fact in the portfolio page it references video game art as a viable portfolio piece (link: http://www.saic.edu/admissions/ug_admiss/portfolio/index.html#02_Requirements_by_P/SLC_6040 < under BFA requirements)
    When compiling a portfolio, you may concentrate your work in a single media or show work in a breadth of media. The portfolio may include drawings, prints, photographs, paintings, film, video, audio recordings, sculpture, ceramics, fashion designs, graphic design, furniture, objects, architectural designs, websites, video games, sketchbooks, scripts, storyboards, screenplays, zines, or any combination of the above.

I still have to photograph and touch up the still lifes i drew i was mainly using this thread to get feed back on the 3d. Ive been looking at art schools for awhile and I really would like to attend SAIC. As many members have stated, traditional art is one of the best ways to improve as an artist.
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    offtopic question:
    Isn't Art Institute shutting down cuz of that billion dollar lawsuit?

This isnt the art institute franchise. its SAIC = School of the art institute of chicago confusing yes lol

http://www.saic.edu/
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    offtopic question:
    Isn't Art Institute shutting down cuz of that billion dollar lawsuit?

doubtful. im sure EDMC will be able to fight their way out of it.

in regards to your work waedoe, it already pretty good, so i imagine you'll only get much much better by going into a school. :D
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I hope Ai goes down! Then all my loans will go bye-bye :)

waedoe! Long time no see brotha! Been a while, and your work is getting awesome! As far as modeling and the baking maps goes, your set my man. Get some more contrast and grit to those textures and keep at it man. See ya round, and if your ever in southern California again man, hit me up, it's been a while!