Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    show texture map?
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good as it stands, but needs more work for sure.

As you said, it isn't done, but I just need to cover a few basic things; texture detail on the wood and the back of the turtle.

Model-wise, the turtle shell looks a bit off, but the texture could fix that.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Turtles don't work like that. Go look up some real sea-turtle reference. The shell should wrap all around the body.

Edit: Frell is right, but the rest of the model needs to be fixed, because anatomically, it just doesn't really look like a turtle. Digging the texture so far though. And the poly-flow should work, too, with the tweaking.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    ^^, just paint the bottom shell on the body yourself, doesnt need a silhouette.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    I really like this concept obviously there needs to be more detail into the textures but really like where this is going so far and want it to be done stat
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Ahh yes I see what you guys mean about the shell wrapping around it's body :/ Amazing I didn't see that straight away. :| Also, I've only painted the body of the turtle, the wood etc is just a diffuse color ;)
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    I think what's making it odd to me, aside from it having a happy face, is how smooth the body is, when it should really have tons of wrinkles and skin folds around the each appendage. Most part of a turtle you would see would be the shell, not so much the green, squishy insides. If you made it a shell, it would help avoid the seams around each appendage.

It reminds me of this concept. From guild wars, I don't remember what the actual concept was called though.
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AIQhy8o6oXg/TnrJ4ElofEI/AAAAAAAAAAw/XdKP1b_f4m4/__50.jpg

The scale of the turtle in relation to the shell, and the part on top, makes it really small, almost unnatural. It's like they put this stuff on the wrong turtle. Give it some chunk, the arms might need to be a bit longer, it might work better.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    your textures..feel like its not finished? but i like where its heading :D Study the concept art man! even though your going for more of a hand painted style, you got to make sure when people look at it they can tell 'oh its a wood' 'oh thats a shell'

and after i wrote all this i go back and read its WIP..i want to see it finished :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    You should check out the actuall in-game model of the concept too, maybe you could get some idea's from that:
    The_Half_Shell.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahahaha yes the carrot on a stick, how could I forget.. Thanks for looking up the ingame model, was searching myself :) Next update will have most of the feedback implemented. The critz are really appreciated!
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    The shape of the limbs are all wrong. Sea turtles have fins, not appendages that look like simple cones.

Sea Turtles
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turtlev.jpg

Tried to get most of the feedback in there. Fixed the limbs, shell and did some scaling of the entire model. At the moment I'm mostly working on the texture. I'll work on making the skin and shell of the turtle more old-like.

Thanks for any feedback :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    That is looking better! :D Although it is weird how each shell segment has highlights all around the edges, like an outline. Maybe choose more carefully where you want the light to hit. You also made the turtle skin look shiny and smooth, like plastic, so that makes him look like a toy. Turtle skin is much more matte as far as specular goes (unless you are trying to make him look wet?). In my opinion, the stairs also have a little too much geometry, like I think you could have grouped them a little more - but maybe that is just my over-enthusiasm for optimization :p I love this particular concept btw, can't wait to see where you take it :)

p.s. Also, maybe don't render on black bg, a gray would probably be better ^_^
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    It's late, im lazy and shit at art but you get the idea:
    iliketurtles.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice paint over, thanks for that :) I've decided to take the middleground;

turtlekv.jpg

I want it to stay a bit cartoony, not 100% warcraft painted style.

Still working on the wood / rope textures. Any crits are welcome :)
    After the texture is done I'll probably be making a small scene around it for presentation, something like a swamp / jungle or something.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting on the scene a bit, going for a jungle/swampy environment. The background will be filled with trees and other green stuff. There will be all sorts of stuff floating on the water and probably some sort of skulls on spears / torches near the docks.

I got a cam working for the scene, and the idle animation for the turtle is also functioning. The end product should be a still cam/video of the environment with the main focus ofc on the turtle. Still looking for refs before I start detailing the scene :) Any inspiration on the subject is also appreciated

turtleqd.jpg

cheers!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shell is looking much better! Post texture flats? Excited for the environment.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes ur right :) Forgot to update the flat~ Here it is, still wanna do some upgrading on the texture

turtletexture.jpg

edit:

And a small preview of some environment fun

greenstufff.jpg
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Textures are off to a good start. But you should really paint in the lighting and shadows as if the model was already lit by lights. Right now the textures look pretty flat and you're relying on lights give it volume.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 : I know exactly what u mean! It's not easy to improve on the handpainting for me but it will hopefully during this project :)

Just wanted to show some scene progress..
    turtleod.jpg

Still not happy with the textures but here you go :) (background doesn't really match the turtle thus far)
    PS. The grass has some lazy alpha issues
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work in UDK,
    turtleap.jpg

Still not too happy with the sky and other things,
    feedback on anything highly appreciated!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I wanted to eat that turtle when I used to play WOW.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://vimeo.com/30863726

I still appreciate crits on this one, it'll probably be minor tweaking anyway :)
    For now, onto the next project :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess a youtube link works better here ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fDsQHdARnA"]TurtleScene - YouTube[/ame]
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awwhh, I love the fireflies, they are so cute! x] Really adds to the mood of the scene, and glad to see you take this all the way through animation. The idle is nice, I like the suspension at the top. If you were ever thinking of coming back to this sometime, I'd say the only thing is I'm kindof sad that you can't see his flippers anymore. Maybe if part of the animation allowed his flippers to break the surface sometimes. Also maybe a couple lily pads of different color, not just the same green. You should totally put cricket sounds xD

Nice job overall, I really love night scenes, and I'm excited to see what you make next! ^_^