Home Technical Talk

Maya 2011 MR Batch Bake not filling seams

Simple task, I wanted to bake some lighting onto my low poly using Mental Ray batch bake. Regardless of what number I set in 'fill texture seams', it simply refuses to do so. Worse yet, the bake doesn't even properly go out to the edges of the shells, and starts blending with the black background, leaving some pretty nasty seams. So xNormal>Dilation filter wasn't really an option.

The map is 2048x2048, and all the other bakes worked fine, anyone else bump into this?

Replies

• pranabss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am facing the same problem..Someone please help out...

Simple task, I wanted to bake some lighting onto my low poly using Mental Ray batch bake. Regardless of what number I set in 'fill texture seams', it simply refuses to do so. Worse yet, the bake doesn't even properly go out to the edges of the shells, and starts blending with the black background, leaving some pretty nasty seams. So xNormal>Dilation filter wasn't really an option.

The map is 2048x2048, and all the other bakes worked fine, anyone else bump into this?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, I've hit the same road block and I no longer use Mental Ray because of the poor padding issue. It's absolutely garbage, so I either use VRay AO when possible or I use scanline, a skylight, or a quick and dirty custom light dome (e-light dome is good script).

Then bake out a diffuse map with lights and shadows turned on and a white material applied to the object.
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Mark, are you using Maya 2012 when you create an AO map? Or is this really a problem isolated to 2011? I believe I have had success using the MR common settings' fill texture seams setting in the past.

I'll dig around and see if I can find a copy of 2011 to try with and see if it was fixed in 2011 -> 2012.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Opps sorry I use max2012 which still has padding issues. I missed the "Maya 2011" part of the thread. Since MR is pretty much a plug-in I wouldn't be surprised if it had the same issues in both apps.
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Huh, that's really weird. I'm poking around right now at MR in Maya 2012 and the Fill Texture seams is doing exactly what I'd expect. Was it just giving you poor results, or was it not working at all?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dsmax_MentalRayPaddingIssue_AO.jpg3dsmax_MentalRayPaddingIssue_N.jpg
    That's the padding issue I get when I use Mental Ray in max 2010 and up.

Not only does it fubar the padding causing seams, but it incorrectly fills in the background color of the normal map, even though the "background color" is set to the right color in the render to texture settings.

It also has a bad habit of incorporating the low poly target mesh into the AO calculation so you have to hide the low poly mesh element when baking, making it difficult to select if you deselect it. This doesn't happen in scanline.

Mental Ray for baking at least in max, is absolute garbage and it takes 2-3x longer to render than scanline and if you don't have your final gather settings cranked (which extends render times even longer) the results are more blurry than standard scanline.

Don't get me wrong I love baking in max and its easy to get great results without leaving the program, but Mental Ray makes a mess of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if mental ray did that in Maya also but if it doesn't then the issue is something else.
  • nickzucc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickzucc polycounter lvl 5
    I'm running into the same issue. Has anyone heard of a workaround? Thanks!

Peace-NickZ. :)
  • nickzucc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickzucc polycounter lvl 5
    Maya Batch Bake Mental Ray Texture Fill Seam Errors.

I found a work around, for Maya 2012 at least. For some reason when I turn the option on for bake optimization = single object I will get no texture fill and this will cause problems at my texture UV boarders. If I set the bake optimization = multiple objects then the texture fill seams option works. I'm sure this is a bug, but at least there is a work around. Hope this helps someone else out because it drove me crazy for a good day.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes sense, will have to give that a shot.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, sorry for the necro, but I'm experiencing the same problem mentioned above and I can't seem to find a fix. Setting it to "multiple objects" instead of "single object" doesnt work for me, as it wont bake with multiple objects setting turned on (it just sits there...forever).

Please, any help would be hot
  • troygbiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Single object is broke, the reason why your render takes forever with multi object is because it uses only one processor per object. But if you change your renderer to Rasterizer then that ends up forcing multiple processor evaluations because the order of operations is different.
  • valurik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valurik polycounter lvl 6
    hi guys.
    setting "Production" quality in mental ray globals may help solve this problem.
    and also setting final gather quality to 2 in bake set override options.
    it helped me to solve similar problem in maya 2013.
    hope it helps you too.