Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Environment Art Test - Why not one more

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
It's been a very long time since I posted any work on here. I read about this ArenaNet Art test last week and didn't think I had enough time to do it and figured, what the hell? Why not throw my name in the hat as well?

So here it is. All 2995 Polys of my submission. I unfortunately did not get A's in math class so my textures were not done to specification. (Thanks stoofoo for clarifying)

One 1024x1024 - Main part of house/Door/Windows
One tileable 256x256 - Roof Tiles
One tileable 256x256 - Brick
One tileable 256x256 - Wood
One 256x256 - Alphas

All also have Normal and Spec applied.

The lighting was probably the most difficult part for me. Most of my lighting set up was just washing everything out. No Spec, hard to see Normal map. Also took some time to learn the tiny quirks of Maya 2012. I would have loved to bring this into Unity, and still may, but I don't know the program well enough to do that in time. As it's due, like.. now.

Honestly, wish I had another week to scale up my texture resolutions and polish this more. But time is up, and I had to stop somewhere. I had fun, I learned a lot and I want to thank ALL of the people who posted on Polycount this last week. I loved looking at all your work, how you did it, and what personal spin you put on your art test. I can't say enough how much I enjoy this site and I am truly inspired by all of you. No joke. Good luck to all that applied!

finalrender01.png
finalrenderaocomp.png
arenaturnaround.png
forestk.png

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    That grass looks sweet, makes me think about how I approached it. Personal preference would like some dirt and nature added to it, as well as accented wood edges, but either way it looks nice.

Care to post up some texture pages? I'm really curious how the grass is laid out. :)

I like that "sketch" touch with the background in that composite shot, nice touch.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Unless you just skipped through the above to see the screenshots, you will see that this Arenanet art test thread is over a year old. I wanted to try it again for 2013. I thought it would be cool to see the difference between the two. A year has gone by and it's mind boggling to me looking back that I actually thought what I submitted was good enough.

So here is my second go at it. Wasn't really trying to make it look exactly like the concept this time, I just wanted to have fun and do my thing. Most of the model is the same, but I did make some changes to the geo.

Model -
    2998 polys

Textures -
    (3) 512x512 Tileable Bricks, Tileable Roof, Alphas
    (1) 1024x1024 Wood and everything else

Normal maps were a mix from ZBrush, nDo2 and XNormal. A lot of hand painting was involved with the textures with some photo overlays. Some of the textures like the bricks and roof tiles were started with poly paint in ZBrush, then brought into Photoshop to add to it.

arenanettest.png
    arenanettestmultiangles.png
    bricks.png
    arenanetroofzbrush.png

Sooo, yea. Let me know what you guys think. I updated my portfolio too if you want to check that out as well. Thanks for looking! - B
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    That is quite an improvement. Very nice